Where to sell a diamond ring?

I’ve been trying to sell a diamond engagement ring but I’m having no luck. It’s on eBay at the moment and has been for about a month, I’ve tried the local pawn brokers but they’re not buying at the moment and I tried an online broker but they wasn’t interested.

The ring is a platinum solitaire 0.25c diamond. It was £1299 from Samuels.

Any advice on where to go to get a good price?

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    No "bricks and mortar" jewellers near to you who buy secondhand rings? Dismiss the idea of a "good price", new jewellery is very heavily marked up, so the trade won't be offering much money.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I’ve been trying to sell a diamond engagement ring but I’m having no luck. It’s on eBay at the moment and has been for about a month, I’ve tried the local pawn brokers but they’re not buying at the moment and I tried an online broker but they wasn’t interested.

The ring is a platinum solitaire 0.25c diamond. It was £1299 from Samuels.

Any advice on where to go to get a good price?

Firstly you need to consider whether you are being realistic with your price, you are probably looking at around half the original purchase price - if you are lucky. You could try an auction house, but get quotes for costs as you could easily end up paying between 25-40% of the hammer price in costs.

You are unfortunately up against brand new small diamond solitaire rings like this for under £500

https://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/d/9923136/9ct+white+gold+quarter+carat+diamond+solitaire+ring/?cm_mmc=SEM_Google:HS%7C%7CDiamonds%7C%7CDiamond%20Rings%7C%7CMedium:HS%7C%7CDiamonds%7C%7CDiamond%20Rings%7C%7CDiamond%20Rings:9923136&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI77zijvWq4wIVE57VCh0a0QsKEA0YBSABEgJbk_D_BwE
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I don't know why my link doesn't work, but look at Samuel online, 0.25ct solitaire diamond ring £499 Product code: 9923136
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Thanks for your input. Just had a look on Samuels and the cheapest platinum ring is the one we are trying to sell....regardless of that I know that we are realistically looking somewhere between £100 and £300 (absolute bargain really, why does anyone even buy new!!!?)

Considered Vintage Cash Cow, has anyone had any experience with them?
  • ndf9876
    ndf9876 Posts: 404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My wife sold some old jewellery to one of the shops in the lanes in Brighton. Not saying she got the best price for it - far from it - but like you, eBay was proving a dead end and she just wanted rid of the stuff.

One of the rings was platinum, and part of the reason she was given (truth or sales patter I can't say) was that it's a very difficult metal to re-work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure