PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Organising a linen cupboard

Options
124»

Comments

• THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I also use all white sheets and have embroidered a "S" or "D" on the top corner of each one. I used chain stitch so it only took a couple of minutes.
  • Natty68
    Natty68 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one that doesnt iron the sheets and duvet cover. I do iron the pillow cases though. But if the sheets etc fit properly on the bed then you dont really need to iron them. I've also noticed the higher count bedding doesn't crease as much when dried ��

I will never iron the bedding ON the bed ��
    Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
    Declutter challenge 2023, 2024 🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
    DH declutter challenge award 🏅⭐️
  • Working_Mum
    Working_Mum Posts: 559 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I have recently re-organised my linen cupboard as I had a massive clear out of duvet covers etc and gave them to a friend who was collecting for a homeless charity.

I am not very tall and my shelves are too deep so I have made some lovely labels (got my coloured pens and sticky labels out :)) - so left to right I have pillowcases, doubles and then king size (quilt covers at the front of the shelf and relevant sheet behind).

I have a couple of large soft baskets on the top shelves which house blankets (just in case needed for in the garden etc).

This space doubles up as a laundry drying cupboard too so I store my coat hangers etc in here too (out of the way) so I can hang shirts which need drying in there..

I don't iron my bed-linen as I am too busy but adore getting into a freshly laundered bed. Simple pleasures!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) I have a huge airing cupboard, all of 20 inches wide and about 20 inches deep. I stop it turning into a mare's nest by segregating the stuff - sheets in one pile, for example.

Smaller things like tea towels, face flannels, pillowcases etc are coralled into cotton drawstring bags, with a cardboard label on each one saying what's in it. Written in pencil, to avoid accidental ink transfer onto textiles.

Towels are rolled and stacked like logs. I find this makes it easy to extract whichever one I want without disarranging the rest.

I don't have matching sets of bedlinen, but would use the pillowcase method if I did.

I had a similar conversation with my DD the other day. She was saying that her airing cupboard was full to overflowing because DGD just brought a load of stuff home from university.

I store my spare tea towels (and kitchen and cloakroom hand towels) in a kitchen drawer. Saves valuable airing cupboard space but then I have lots of kitchen space. :) Similarly, face flannels are kept in bathroom cupboard.
  • topsy-turvi
    Options
    Wilko's do a storage box that has airholes in them - I store my out of season clothes in them and have never had any problems. When I last looked they were £6 each, or 6 for £30 :)
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I keep all my sets of folded sheets and pillow cases in large clear transparent bags with a A4 sheet of paper with the contents listed in large letters, e.g. lightweight double sheets with 3 pillowcases.
    Everything is then quickly visible.
  • Anja
    Anja Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Excellent idea! Will be sorting my airing cupboard tomorrow. :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income