Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • green-backer
    • By green-backer 8th Jun 19, 3:32 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 13Thanks
    green-backer
    Raspberry canes
    • 8th Jun 19, 3:32 PM
    Raspberry canes 8th Jun 19 at 3:32 PM
    Hi all,

I planted some raspberry canes in Feb. They don't seem to have grown very tall. Have I missed a step? They are autumn canes and I dug in some well rotted manure prior to planting with plenty of watering since.

https://postimg.cc/SJHSV1tf
Page 1
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 8th Jun 19, 9:32 PM
    • 4,296 Posts
    • 9,428 Thanks
    Linda32
    • 8th Jun 19, 9:32 PM
    • 8th Jun 19, 9:32 PM
    At our allotment one of the plot holders grows autumn fruiting and they are about that size. I grew raspberries a few years ago, but can't remember if they took more than a year to fruit. They do look healthy enough. If they are going to fruit this year it won't be until Autumn anyway.
    • Camomile
    • By Camomile 13th Jun 19, 10:19 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    Camomile
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:19 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:19 PM
    Raspberries grow in 2 year cycle. First year thereís a main stem with just leaves emerging, this ovewinters and in the spring side shoots bearing fruit appear with main stem becoming woody. After fruiting stem dies in the winter but more shoots emerge from the root system. If you donít get any fruit this year youíll get them next year, just leave your canes be.
    • EmmyLou30
    • By EmmyLou30 20th Jun 19, 1:12 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 594 Thanks
    EmmyLou30
    • 20th Jun 19, 1:12 PM
    • 20th Jun 19, 1:12 PM
    Raspberries grow in 2 year cycle. First year thereís a main stem with just leaves emerging, this ovewinters and in the spring side shoots bearing fruit appear with main stem becoming woody. After fruiting stem dies in the winter but more shoots emerge from the root system. If you donít get any fruit this year youíll get them next year, just leave your canes be.
    Originally posted by Camomile

That's just summer fruiting. Autumn fruiting form brand new canes the year they fruit and you chop them all back each year. My fairly well established autumn variety Polka are about 2-3 foot high right now but have plenty of growing time left before they fruit later in the year. They are a self supporting bush type like most autumn fruiters so don't get to the height a summer fruiting one does anyway.
    • Camomile
    • By Camomile 20th Jun 19, 2:44 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    Camomile
    • 20th Jun 19, 2:44 PM
    • 20th Jun 19, 2:44 PM
    Oh dear, just found out autumn ones are completely different kind! Excuse my ignorance, thought they were the same ��
    • EmmyLou30
    • By EmmyLou30 20th Jun 19, 3:16 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 594 Thanks
    EmmyLou30
    • 20th Jun 19, 3:16 PM
    • 20th Jun 19, 3:16 PM
    Gardening is always learning as we go :-) I think the autumn ones are easier from the point of view of not tying in new canes and trying to work out which ones to chop off etc, but it's nice to have the summer ones too.
    • Pablosmummy
    • By Pablosmummy 20th Jun 19, 4:05 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 2,971 Thanks
    Pablosmummy
    • 20th Jun 19, 4:05 PM
    • 20th Jun 19, 4:05 PM
    I planted my polka in march and they're about up to my waist now. Have they grown any new canes? Or is it just growing from the stumps of the old canes? Mine seem to be a mixture of both as I have growth coming from.the old stumpy.canes which is fruiting now, and the brand new canes which will.hopefully fruit later on this year.
    Yours arnt a dwarf type are they? They look alot like my dwarf patio raspberry...
    May Grocery Challenge -£216/400
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

868Posts Today

7,030Users online

Martin's Twitter