weezl and friends Phase 4 - recipe testing christmas treats!

Comments

• Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    I will not be able to stretch out my meat/fish stocks, as there is only one packet of mince, one cooking bacon cuts and a packet of sausage meat. With the move and loosing a freezer I havent bought much other then the odd whopsie as I was passing.
    Infact all i did since returning from Portugal in October has been "top up shopping" which probably has cost me more then if i was following a plan.

I shall be back on the website to check out some meals that are less meat orientated.
    Milk, cheese and bread are my main purchases. So I will have to see if I can follow your bread recipies as my bread machine has been a complete disaster the last few months I have tried.
    Must be doing something wrong, as I used to make good bread in the old house. (sorry, old old house, not the cottage).
    Time to go and delve into the cupboards and see what we can concoct tonight. think DS will be home too.
    So 3 of us to feed.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • weezl74 wrote: »
    the next few weeks meals I have planned (and made most of!)

cottage pie + beans
    slo-cooker curry
    potato gratin
    spaghetti marmite
    pasta funghi (wild mushroom)
    chicken and mushroom slice
    pasta amatriciana
    cottage pie
    mushroom pizza
    TITH
    meatballs
    pasta amatriciana
    spaghetti marmite
    potato gratin
    mushroom pizza
    TITH
    pasta amatriciana
    shepless pie
    pasta funghi (wild mushroom)
    meatballs
    TITH
    shepless pie
    puy lentil lasagne
    potato gratin
    spaghetti marmite

I think I can go til mid-feb on £34.02 for the 4 of us having made my current plans :D

good luck to all of you with your thrifty plans :)

Thank you for taking time to post that Weezl :):) Sounds like your challenge has gotten off to a good start.

Last night we were at my mum's for a sunday roast which was lovely. We had offered to take a pudding so I dug around in the cupboards and decided to make a Rocky Road. Had Nigella's recipe in mind that can be found at http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/rockyroadcrunchbars_87104 However, adapted it to what we had in the house.

125g marg
    300g tesco value chocolate
    3tbsp maple flavoured golden syrup (because that's all we had in at the time!)
    200g mixture of digestives and ginger biscuits
    50g marshmallows cut up
    50g mixture of dried cranberries, dried cherries, glace cherries, raisins, sultanas (all lurking in the cupboard in half eaten packets)
    Icing sugar to dust

Came out very rich and you definitely only need a small bit. Even my OH, who has the sweetest tooth struggled to eat more than a tiny slice.

Am still trying to run down our freezer and cupboards at the moment but last night my mum gave me a slab of leftover Dolcelatte so hoping to try making a soup later. Just need to grab some brocolli and should be all set. Waste not want not eh?

Goodluck all!
    Money paid out from Topcashback so far= £105.89 :j
    No buying magazines in 2011 Challenge- Number bought to date= 0 :)

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    troublingly a storecupboard challenge reveals things which are quite a challenge to think of a meal for!

Found a can of cod's roe :eek: but the lovely Jenny helped me out with a suggestion of taramasalata :) so am going to give that a whirl today.

Have also over the weekend made 9 loaves of bread, 3 meals of potato gratin and 5 of shepherdless pie :D

So all's going ok I think.

Spent £7.89 in Asda and I think apart from milk that's January sorted :T

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • aless02
    aless02 Posts: 5,119 Forumite
    weezl74 wrote: »
    troublingly a storecupboard challenge reveals things which are quite a challenge to think of a meal for!

Found a can of cod's roe :eek: but the lovely Jenny helped me out with a suggestion of taramasalata :) so am going to give that a whirl today.

Have also over the weekend made 9 loaves of bread, 3 meals of potato gratin and 5 of shepherdless pie :D

So all's going ok I think.

Spent £7.89 in Asda and I think apart from milk that's January sorted :T

Ooo you could do a lovely nibbles & dips thingee by baking up some breadsticks and then doing hummus & taramasalata :).

Guess I better get off the computer and do some cooking then...you lot are making me feel lazy! Have a big ASDA delivery coming this afternoon that should do us for the month minus fresh fruit (which we get cheapo from Aldi anyways).
    top 2013 wins: iPad, £50 dental care, £50 sportswear, £50 Nectar GC, £300 B&Q GC; jewellery, Bumbo, 12xPringles, 2xDiesel EDT, £25 Morrisons, £50 Loch Fyne

would like to win a holiday, please!!
    :xmassmile Mummy to Finn - 12/09; Micah - 08/12! :j
  • aless02
    aless02 Posts: 5,119 Forumite
    edited 3 January 2011 at 12:18PM
    Okay, I have just made this month's meal plan, made up of an amalgamation of many different CFR recipes. :)

Mon 3 toad in the hole + mash
    Tues 4 salmon pasta
    Weds 5 Pea & sundried tom risotto
    Thurs
    6 breakfast fry-up
    Fri
    7 pasta carbonara
    Sat 8 slow cooker chicken + veg + stuffing
    Sun 9 mushroom pizza
    Mon
    10 C&O pie
    Tues
    11 chicken curry
    Weds
    12 bacon+tom pasta
    Thurs 13 chili con carne (soya mince)
    Fri 14 mushroom risotto
    Sat 15 bacon pancake lasagne
    Sun
    16 Cheese & onion pie
    Mon
    17 Cheese & onion pie
    Tues
    18 salmon pasta
    Weds
    19 risi e bisi
    Thurs 20 sausage, spinach & pot soup
    Fri
    21 saag aloo
    Sat
    22 calzones
    Sun 23 spag bol
    Mon 24 baked bean curry
    Tues 25 breakfast fry-up
    Weds 26 toad in the hole + mash
    Thurs
    27 french onion soup
    Fri
    28 pasta carbonara
    Sat
    29 beef with dumplings
    Sun 30 bacon pancake lasagne
    Mon
    31 egg fried rice
    top 2013 wins: iPad, £50 dental care, £50 sportswear, £50 Nectar GC, £300 B&Q GC; jewellery, Bumbo, 12xPringles, 2xDiesel EDT, £25 Morrisons, £50 Loch Fyne

would like to win a holiday, please!!
    :xmassmile Mummy to Finn - 12/09; Micah - 08/12! :j
  • domesticgoddess789
    domesticgoddess789 Posts: 524 Forumite
    edited 3 January 2011 at 2:14PM
    Right, popped to Aldi for some brocolli and now the brocolli and leftover Christmas Dolcelatte soup is done:j Tastes really nice so am looking forward to having some of that for tea this evening.

Everyone is doing really well with their cooking and planning. The taramasalata sounds lush Weezl!

• poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Pooh bear, before I gave up, I had an electronic cigarette, the sort you buy capsules for.

I will have a look online for them.I would prefer them to growing tobacco. I talked to DH last night about buying something for him to help him stop smoking and he said 'as long as it doesn't hurt'.

Today I have made a soup for the men from a boiled chicken carcase, some lentils, 2 pencil thin leeks from the garden and three carrots from the garden.

We are going to have liver tonight, haven't decided whether to do liver and bacon or Indonesian liver. The liver was only 80p per lb. I only bought 2lbs and now wish I had bought more.
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • Lesley_Gaye
    Lesley_Gaye Posts: 1,045 Forumite
    along with what seems like everyone else, I am trying a storecupboard/freezer challenge this month

surveyed the freezer yesterday. There are lots of bags of fruit in there from the garden, suggested we had a fruit crumble as lunch now and then, and OH was quite enthusiastic about it.

Keep mentioning the month to date cost pppd of our food spend in the hopes of getting OH more aware of it, he seems to be getting into it, but is a terrible one for buying the this and that things that add up

he came home from buying a newspaper at the local Spar this morning with a pk of ham, just in case - £2.68, sigh. I keep mentioning that every £3 we spend is 10p per day on the total :o

we had spicy bean burgers on Sat, and to be fair, he did suggest using up the remaining burgers in a toad in the hole type way, so that's what we're having tonight

went for coffee today to a friends round the corner and she invited me and the other friend there for lunch, so had a very nice (free) beef casserole and veggies for lunch, so the turkey and toor dal soup I had planned is still in the fridge for another day

when it's cold, we usually have soup most days for lunch, and I've started having just the soup, without any bread, and have found I am just as full as when I have the bread. So am now having a very slightly fuller bowl of soup, usually with quite a lot of some kind of pulse in it, and no bread. Am hoping it will help with the new year weight loss :)

good luck everyone with your challenges, and I'll keep you posted on mine
  • Well the brocolli and dolcelatte soup was delicious. Even my sister (my biggest critic and epic fussy eater) devoured a bowl full and said it was the best thing I've ever made. Hurrah! :jMy OH and I had ours for tea with some homemade garlic bread.

Have also made a batch of the CFR lemon and pepper houmous for lunches this week. I am going to have houmous and sliced roasted red pepper sandwiches. Am trying out some new frugal sandwich fillings to keep things interesting so will be trialling one a week. Will report back on my progress.

Finally, I made a batch of Peanut Butter Bars for our lunchboxes from one of Weezl's really old threads. Recipe can be found at http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=11695119&postcount=1098 I make them all the time and they are easy to make, delicious and very frugal compared to shop bought cereal bars:money:.

Keep posting everyone, I am enjoying reading how you are all getting on.

• Allegra
    Allegra Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    Yep, a storecupboard/freezer challenge here, too ;) I planned out the meals right up until the end of Feb with just what we've got in - that's for me and !!!!!!, DD gets what she blinkin' well wants, as long as she'll eat it ...

Anyways. Made a massive batch of bolognese for the freezer tonight, using 1kg of mince I bought whoopsied from Netto ages ago (£1.50), plus masses of whoopsied onions (25p, Asda), celery (12p) mushrooms and peppers. Also made a batch of bread and 12 mince pies to use up the last bit of HM mincemeat and make some space in the cupboard :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure