PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• teedy23
    teedy23 Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    carolt2 wrote: »
    Frugalswan and Studentgirl

Welcome to the challenge:hello:

Anyone can join in.

The best way i find to to this is for the first month keep all your reciepts.
    Add them up at the end of the month to see what your actually spending then as you say Studentgirl, just cut down your budget gradually.

Some people doing the challenge budget differently.

Some people prefer to do their budget by calendar month, some weekly and others weekly. This depends on paydays etc.

its up to you what you include in budgets, you could include everything grocery wise ie food, drink ,alcohol,pet food, cleaning materials etc. Or break things down into seperate budgets.

I do mine weakly:D
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
  • sjaypink
    sjaypink Posts: 6,740 Forumite
    hi everyone :hello: , july was my first month and im set to go over budget a little.

so i will try the same again- £300 please!
    We cannot change anything unless we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses. Carl Jung

• Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    teedy23 wrote: »
    I do mine weakly:D

Oh dear!
    Was it you who had the trout?
    A couple of ideas- because it's a fairly dark fish it goes very well with the dark green salad veggies. You could have some flaked with a load of raw spinach and croutons. Add a nice dressing and some heavy bread with real butter- yummy!
    Another idea, warm pasta with a sauce (cream or tomato type would work equally as well) with courgettes, jullienne carrots, chopped tomato chucked in towards the end. If you do a cream type sauce sweetcorn would go well but may not be as good with the tomato type base.
    You could do a lasagne with it too if you like the evil concoction that lasagne is!
    Any left over spinach from the salad could be used in a fish pie too.

I've had the left over carbonarra for tea as the family are still out.
    Not sure if they'll have any food left over as they've been out all day but even if they have eaten everything they took there's still food left in the fridge. Also DH has taken £11.71 worth of food. So even if they have used it all, £11.71 for an entire day eating and drinking out is not bad. They couldn't have got a meal for that amount for the three of them. Hmmm, he's getting there isn't he!
    I need to get more kitty litter too soon.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    hi there guys

DH has left me to do the curry so everything I can find lying around goes in have even put some fennel in the rice ,,, it does make it taste nice,,honey,, to sweeten it and make it sticky,, I do like sticky curry,,, although it doesnt sound very nice when its down on paper,,, does it

see ya later hes back

KAAT
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well the SC pork curry was a roaring success :j - its all gone, including the leftoversfor puss (saves using a can of food and was not enough to freeze anyway). Did my weekly shop (based on what else we need from meal plan, some fruit and fresh bits for DS and some flour, eggs etc) and spent £15.21 in Tesco and £4.83 in Lidl. Very happy with this :)
    Might make a nice cake tomorrow for my birthday celebrations- got some silver balls for 9p in Tesco, some vanilla essence for 19p (the cheap stuff as I aready had decent stuff in) and also some muffin cases for 49p and cake cases for 25p. There seems to be gaps for lots of Supercook stuff lol, although today the shelves were quite empty! I resisted getting sugar strands as still have the 100's and 1000's I got last time- someone else can get the joy of cheap sugar strands :D.
    Hoping the weekly budget option will work out for us but we will just see how it goes and either keep it this way or go back to monthly depending on the outcome! (Sorry angelnikki for us having to move lists!). How do I declare my final figure for weekly budget ? I was thinking to take my average weekly spend from the weeks that are in August and use this (although hoping not to go over any weeks!)- would this be ok ?
    Just thinking in advance :rolleyes:
    Ta ra for now, and welcome all newbies.
    x
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• witchmabel
    witchmabel Posts: 28 Forumite
    Can I climba back on board this month please :D I think I need to go for £300:eek: Seem to have people visiting most weekends this month which always plays havoc with my budget.

Can't believe how quickly this thread gathers pace :D

WitchM
  • jackk_2
    jackk_2 Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Post
    Hello all,
    i'm not finishing my July challenge until 31st, so will declare in a day or so. But can you put me down for £200 again in August please.

Jackie x
  • cherie1122
    cherie1122 Posts: 489 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My July budget was probably a disaster but I'm not going to worry about it. We had a bereavement in the family.

Please put me down for £250 again for August and I'll concentrate this month. I'm going to include the pet food in that budget (I didn't before and we have 5 cats, 2 parrots and several fish.).

My month will start on 1st August and I think I've probably got enough food in the house to last till then.
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    mama67 wrote: »
    I think the recipes list should be carried over each month with maybe the link being to the original source.(hope that makes sense)

We discussed the different ways that the index could be done but in the end decided it would be best to have all the recipes brought forward as it will save confusion in later months as to which month's GC the links to particular recipes are in IYSWIM. As otherwise when it gets to sept/oct/... people will have to look through several lists to find the recipe they were looking for. ;)
    OrkneyStar wrote: »
    How do I declare my final figure for weekly budget ? I was thinking to take my average weekly spend from the weeks that are in August and use this (although hoping not to go over any weeks!)- would this be ok ?

I think MandyMoo has a weekly budget but when she declares she says her total for the month. But you can do it whichever way works for you. :)

Nikki x
    :A
  • teedy23
    teedy23 Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Kaz! I havent had my dinner yet, please stop my stomach is growling lol
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business