How to profit from BREXIT

Comments

• ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Stockpile Toblerones and Ferrero Rocher
  • There's a nice FT article on this, saying:
    Brexit negotiations have entered the most high stakes period since the UK’s 2016 EU referendum. Expectations of a breakthrough are so elevated that a failure may prove spectacular.

("Brexit deal, muddle or disaster: the 3 UK scenarios", (https://www.ft.com/content/0d5c6784-cd70-11e8-9fe5-24ad351828ab, for those of you with subscriptions).

It implies that there's probably mileage in selling UK equities today, and rebuying on Monday -- either the market will rise by not very much, or there will be a rather larger shock that negotiations are not on track, giving rise to a relative gain for a brave investor.

Still, this isn't really lateral thinking.
    Thus the old Gentleman ended his Harangue. The People heard it, and approved the Doctrine, and immediately practised the Contrary, just as if it had been a common Sermon; for the Vendue opened ...
    THE WAY TO WEALTH, Benjamin Franklin, 1758 AD
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm investing in Humblepie plc.

Thoughts being that however things develop a not insignificant part of the population will be eating it.
    Yes, when the Four Horsemen [fail to] turn up at Dover and [don't] go charging up the M20 to the City there will be quite a few red faces.

Unfortunately the Evening Standard won't have sufficient editorial vacancies to employ them all, whichever way it goes. :(
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    ColdIron wrote: »
    Stockpile Toblerones and Ferrero Rocher
    Great lateral thinking.... the Diplomatic Services are going to be working overtime ;)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    EachPenny wrote: »
    Yes, when the Four Horsemen [fail to] turn up at Dover and [don't] go charging up the M20 to the City there will be quite a few red faces.

Nah. That's not how humans work.

If the Four Horsemen fail to turn up Remainders will stick with the mantra of the past two years, which is "Brexit hasn't actually happened yet". "Wait for the transitional deals to expire" they'll say. "A recession doesn't happen overnight" they'll say, ignoring the fact that they previously said that a recession would happen overnight in July 2016, and then again in March 2019.

On their dying day, long after Brexit has been forgotten and reduced to a historical curiosity that seemed terribly important at the time, like the Suez crisis, they will whisper to their nearest and dearest from their hoverdeathbeds "I'm sorry I left you to deal with the coming Brexit crisis", causing their bemused grandchildren to reach for their history brainchips.

If the Four Horsemen do turn up, Brexiteers will say that it's all Remainers' fault and everything will be fine once they get out of the way and stop sabotaging the country.

Either way, no red faces.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper

Probably they will be stuck at Calais !
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Malthusian wrote: »
    No, "guaranteed" is a protected term and the FCA might actually lumber into action.

Judging from the number of threads started here about whether this or that 8% guaranteed is too good to be true, it doesn't look like they lumber very often. :)
  • talexuser wrote: »
    Judging from the number of threads started here about whether this or that 8% guaranteed is too good to be true, it doesn't look like they lumber very often. :)

Did someone say lumber? Let me tell you about an asset-backed, fixed, insured forestry investment scheme...
  • k6chris
    k6chris Posts: 738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    Compared to a Corbyn government, for instance. Compared to the huge market crash I expect sometime between this month and the Spring of '21, say. Compared to Italexit, compared to the collapse of a huge German bank I'd be wise not to name, compared to the assassination of Mr Trump, compared to the fall of the House of Saud, compared to civil war in China, compared to ...

You missed "existance of aliens disclosure".....
    "For every complicated problem, there is always a simple, wrong answer"
  • Snakey
    Snakey Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    I wasn't aware that Heinz did a Black Forest sponge pudding (I live in the middle of London where you only tend to get the best-selling one or two of a range, not the full selection). Has anyone had one? What's it like?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure