economy radiator company

Options

Comments

• Thanks for your input. Really helpful. I did look at heat pumps but the price was way out of my budget with the install. I'm now confused though! My friend says that his heating bills are definitely a lot less than they were last winter when he was using some cheap heaters. The literature that I have says that the Economiser radiators are far more efficient than convector heaters because they have ceramic cells inside that store heat, and that each cell charges up separately at different times. It's not a storage heater though. I now have someone bringing me a radiator to try out for a week with a power consumption meter which seems fair. If it's too good to be true I'll soon find out I guess!

I had the week trial and we're actually really impressed! The 1.5kilowatt Economiser radiator was 1m wide - and used nowhere near as much power as we'd expected after reading various thoughts on here. It was plugged into an efergy power monitor which showed that the radiator switched on for an average of six times an hour drawing between 1.5kilowatts in the morning when the room was very cold and 800watts at the lowest. The radiator came on for between two and four minutes at a time after the temperature got to 21degrees. The room is 3.8m x 3.5m and was far warmer than the rest of the house which has storage heaters downstairs and panel heaters upstairs. Am I missing something here as it seems pretty good to me? They aren't cheap at 1700 for five rooms but still worlds apart from the heating we have been putting up with.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I had the week trial and we're actually really impressed! The 1.5kilowatt Economiser radiator was 1m wide - and used nowhere near as much power as we'd expected after reading various thoughts on here. It was plugged into an efergy power monitor which showed that the radiator switched on for an average of six times an hour drawing between 1.5kilowatts in the morning when the room was very cold and 800watts at the lowest. The radiator came on for between two and four minutes at a time after the temperature got to 21degrees. The room is 3.8m x 3.5m and was far warmer than the rest of the house which has storage heaters downstairs and panel heaters upstairs. Am I missing something here as it seems pretty good to me? They aren't cheap at 1700 for five rooms but still worlds apart from the heating we have been putting up with.

Yes you are missing something!

It doesn't matter how long they are on for, what counts is the electricity they consume.

It is 100% certain that any electrical heating costing a fraction of the price will produce exactly the same amount of heat for the same running cost.

That isn't an opinion, it is a fact!!
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 February 2011 at 8:43PM
    Options
    And it's warm..I've had the electric radiator on all day (the one from argos for £15). I have an energy monitor as well. It's Saturday. I've been here all day. Rarely heard it switching on. Right it's 7pm (19 hours since midnight) and the energy monitor says I've used 5.3kw in total today that's 280W per hour and my base usage with only the computers, lights, fridge and so on is 160W per hour so I've only used 2.3kw today to keep the room without the gas fire in it warm all day. At a cost of 2 pence per hour. Electric is 14p/kw. Room temperature is 18 degrees. Well insulated and double glazed. Room size 3.5m by 3.0m.. Not bad hey... You would never see me spend £1,700 on that when a £15 convector can do the same.

Edit:since posting at 7.10pm. It's now 7.40pm I've had a shower (8.5kw electric) and ironed clothes (1600W) ready for work and now the energy monitor reads 6.8kw. That's a lot in such a short time.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    The radiator came on for between two and four minutes at a time after the temperature got to 21degrees.

That is exactly what any thermostaticall-controlled heater would do.

£1700 would pay my lecky bill for about four years ...
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • grahamc2003
    grahamc2003 Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    edited 7 February 2011 at 11:51AM
    Options

All you've done is measured the heat loss from your room that particluar day. It doea seem implausible to me that even on max heat (1.5kw) that it can raise the room temperature from 'very cold' to 21C while only actually being on 6 times per hour for a max of 4 minutes a time (so a max of 24 mins/hour, or a max heat delivery of something like 650w on average). Are you sure your meter is working/ you took notes correctly?

Taking averages, we can calculate the rate of heat loss from your room that day, according to the data you presented. So for an average power of 1.15kw (1.5kw, 800w), on 6 times per hour, for an average of 3 minutes (4mins, 2 mins), so an average of 18 m/h, or 30% of the time, then the heat loss is 1.15*0.3kw, being 345w.
    (Actually the rate of heat loss is less than that, due to the energy being used also to raise the room temp mfrom 'very cold' to 21C.

The point is that to maintain raise the temp from 'very cold' to 21C and to maintain 21C using your figures requires heat delivered at 345w. (lucky you!) That rate of heat delivery would cost exactly the same (3.5p/hour) whether delivered by your £1700 heaters, or a £7 Tesco Value heater.

edit - In fact, you wouldn't even need a heater. Just get your kid to play on an xbox360 - they use about 350w, so you could keep your kids entertained and heat your room to 21C all from the xbox!
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    edit - In fact, you wouldn't even need a heater. Just get your kid to play on an xbox360 - they use about 350w, so you could keep your kids entertained and heat your room to 21C all from the xbox!

Parents up and down the country will be hoping their children don't read the above;)
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 11 February 2011 at 2:10PM
    Options
    As those in denial are still about consider this:

I have a box of matches. Cost 30p.

I also have the same matches in a gold plated box. Cost £250.

Which match gives most heat?
  • eddakerman
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.

I'm left search the internet, unsucessfully, for an affordable electric heater with a programmable thermostat. i.e. A heater that I can program to heat the room to different temperatures at different times of the day. I can find electric radiators that cost over £300 that do this, but not any cheaper one or any plug in thermostats/timers.

Surely it is not that complicated to combine the two as it simply putting a timer and thermostat together. Can anyone help?
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    It's possible, but I imagine the demand for different temperatures at different times of the day is a niche market.

What do you actually need to achieve in terms of times and temperatures?
  • j2011
    j2011 Posts: 238 Forumite
    Options
    Most cost effective controlable electric heating.

Go into room.
    feeling cold?
    turn on electric fire.
    feeling hot?
    turn off electric fire.
    leaving room.
    turn off electric fire.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing