UPDATED: Air Source Heat Pumps/Air Con - Full Info & Guide, is it cheaper to run than mains gas?

Comments

• albyota
    albyota Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    pd001 wrote: »
    Just bought a dehumidifier to perform this very task..drying clothes.
    Didnt realise that the water it produced would be ok for the iron and I have just instructed Mrs pd001 accordingly.
    As you may imagine, she wasn't convinced.

2 hours, dry clothes? Got to be a result if it works :)

Thanks pd001, let us all know how you get on with it.
    There are three types of people in this world...those that can count ...and those that can't! ;)

* The Bitterness of Low Quality is Long Remembered after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten!
  • pd001
    pd001 Posts: 871 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    albyota wrote: »
    Thanks pd001, let us all know how you get on with it.

Will do, as soon as I can make a valued judgement
  • When I was referring to removing the mesh I know some units have a mesh fitted over the back of the coil... Not sure why. Wasn't sure why the user said mesh as I has described the coil as looking like a car radiator. Lol
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • Ally74
    Ally74 Posts: 101 Forumite
    My apologies :D

When i was inspecting it last week i thought the radiator looking thing behind the fan was silver in colour so automatically thought this was a protective aqua blue-ish (or is it green-ish? :D) mesh.

So i will be able to inspect for frost build up no problem now.
  • Ally74 wrote: »
    My apologies :D

When i was inspecting it last week i thought the radiator looking thing behind the fan was silver in colour so automatically thought this was a protective aqua blue-ish (or is it green-ish? :D) mesh.

So i will be able to inspect for frost build up no problem now.

One side of the coil has a blue anti corrosion coating on. Always the side which the air flows through first.
  • Ally74
    edited 25 November 2011 at 6:37PM
    Just switched heating on 5mins ago and it went into defrost mode. had a good look as its daylight and there is no frost on the back.

Edit: First defrost at 3.35PM

Second: 4.25PM

5.00PM
    Just switched heating on 5mins ago and it went into defrost mode. had a good look as its daylight and there is no frost on the back.

Shouldn't go into defrost 5mins after turning on. Get them back out.
  • Ally74
    Just a quick update.

Someone came out late yesterday afternoon.

They think there is maybe a problem with the sensor in the outdoor unit in which case the whole unit would need to be replaced as it's a manufacture problem. One other thing they think it might be is how the heat pump is bolted to the ground. The unit sits directly on the concrete slabs and the engineer thinks the sensors for the defrost cycles is at the bottom of the unit and it could be a moisture problem. Looking on google images though all other units seem to be bolted directly onto concrete slabs etc without anything in between.

Engineer seen it kick into a defrost cycle for himself whilst it was roughly 8/9C outside (which was a good thing imo) and will get back in touch today after phoning a few colleagues.
  • Has he checked refrigerant charges this is usually one of first things they check.

Sensor for air temp will be on the back of the coil... However there are other sensors tucked away in side the unit but mounting on slabs will not affect these.

The other sensors whch all contribute to the frequency of defrost cycles etc are mounted on pipes inside the unit so unless one as come unmourned not sure what to suggest really. Perhaps get then to replace the unit that's ur best bet.

Edit: First defrost at 3.35PM

Second: 4.25PM

5.00PM

Does it not sit on big rubber feet then the slabs?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback