storage heaters/electric central heating or gas?

1454647484951»

Comments

• The plumber did contact worcester (the supplier for the boiler) several times to try to get someone to come out and have a look for themselves but they were not interested. Contacting the council may be a good idea and I must admit I had not thought of doing that. If we have any further trouble after the plumber revisits us this month then I shall contact them. I shall also give our local electricity board a ring to get a quote on the storage heaters.
  • Arthriticdigit
    Arthriticdigit Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 5 September 2012 at 12:33PM
    Hello, I've been following this latest communication. Can I just say before you rush out and equip your home with storage heaters etc...... I did the complete reverse last September. I replaced 5 large storage heaters and 5 convection (upstairs heaters) for a Grant oil to water/rad system. I have reduced my overall heating bills by £800 - 900 pa. I still heat my water with an immersion heater, the hob is lpg and I run a very small wood burning stove in the living room on cold evenings. With a family of four our total electricity spend is £50/month. Mind you I managed to escape from a totally un-competitive eco10 tariff with EON to a super cheep eco7 deal with OVO. The house is very well insulated and I have the flexibility to heat the house to suit the weather conditions and not forced to resort to Russian methods of heat regulation, i.e. throwing open windows on a mild day! (when using storage heaters). Think hard before you switch.
  • Thanks arithriticdigit. I am beginning to feel incapable of making a decision, it seems the more information I have the less I know!
  • Hello all,
    well what an interesting read this thread has been, and please let me add to it.
    I have a one bedroom flat, there is no gas supply at all.
    I am thinking of the storage heater option, I am a 9-5 guy but also I don't need to feel my flat is in the Amazon jungle with its heat. I just want a warmish flat when I get up and when I come home from work.
    Are the modern day storage heaters capable of holding in the heat created over night until 6-9 the next evening?
    Thanks for all the help before this post and any after it.
    Conor
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    ronoc wrote: »
    Hello all,
    well what an interesting read this thread has been, and please let me add to it.
    I have a one bedroom flat, there is no gas supply at all.
    I am thinking of the storage heater option, I am a 9-5 guy but also I don't need to feel my flat is in the Amazon jungle with its heat. I just want a warmish flat when I get up and when I come home from work.
    Are the modern day storage heaters capable of holding in the heat created over night until 6-9 the next evening?
    Thanks for all the help before this post and any after it.
    Conor

In a word 'No' if reports from users are to be believed; albeit they are better than models of yesteryear!
  • I spent most of my 20's living in properties with storage heaters.

They can work but you have to set them up properly. The reason people go wrong is because they try to adjust them to the weather. Set the input to max and the output to min and then leave them alone.

If your house is too warm, open the window.

If one of your rooms gets too cold in the evenings then there are 2 options, get a bigger storage heater for that room or switch to economy 10 which gives you a short blast of cheap electricity in the evening.

In one of the properties I lived at the landlord would not upgrade the storage heater in the front room so I instead brought a calor gas portable heater for evening heat. The running cost for the calor gas heater was about £40 per month, todays prices would be £70.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure