Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tonygrum
    • By tonygrum 15th Nov 19, 6:37 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    tonygrum
    non internet contract-calls only
    • 15th Nov 19, 6:37 PM
    non internet contract-calls only 15th Nov 19 at 6:37 PM
    how do you get a monthly contract for a standard non internet phone that only has phone NO INTERNET,ive a computer for that-i registered with carphones id but after 3 hours of contacting them they say they do not support a proper just mobile phone-any ideas
Page 1
    • Murmansk
    • By Murmansk 15th Nov 19, 7:15 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    Murmansk
    • 15th Nov 19, 7:15 PM
    • 15th Nov 19, 7:15 PM
    ive a computer for that-i registered with carphones id but after 3 hours of contacting them they say they do not support a proper just mobile phone-any ideas
    Originally posted by tonygrum
    I've no idea what on earth this means are you able to clarify?
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 15th Nov 19, 8:44 PM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 813 Thanks
    Neil49
    • 15th Nov 19, 8:44 PM
    • 15th Nov 19, 8:44 PM
    Your best option is to find a handset that suits your requirements and buy it separately.

Once you have it then just find a monthly sim only contract with little or no data allowance but enough minutes to cover you for the month.

Alternatively get a payg sim from a network that charges 1p per minute for calls.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 15th Nov 19, 8:57 PM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 2,394 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 15th Nov 19, 8:57 PM
    • 15th Nov 19, 8:57 PM
    Are you...

A. moaning about the handsets.

Are there any such handsets? 2G will go at somepoint, I think all 3G phones have some sort of internet on them.

If you really want a handset that cannot it will be either enforced by parental controls or a custom rom.

B. Moaning about the contracts all having data and usuallyunlimited calls?

Why bother find the cheaopest, you don;t have to use it. If there were a contract without data (especially if you mean actually not allowing it, but see handset point aboive for that) which I doubt it would not be cheap.

Either way you are not helping yourself.
    • bubieyehyeh
    • By bubieyehyeh 15th Nov 19, 10:04 PM
    • 462 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    bubieyehyeh
    • 15th Nov 19, 10:04 PM
    • 15th Nov 19, 10:04 PM
    1pmobile is payg, but the only network I've seen where you can disable mobile data on the sim, from the account portal. So that maybe of interest. So even if someone put sim in a different phone, no data.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 15th Nov 19, 10:59 PM
    • 3,081 Posts
    • 2,246 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 15th Nov 19, 10:59 PM
    • 15th Nov 19, 10:59 PM
    how do you get a monthly contract for a standard non internet phone that only has phone NO INTERNET,ive a computer for that-i registered with carphones id but after 3 hours of contacting them they say they do not support a proper just mobile phone-any ideas
    Originally posted by tonygrum
    Are you saying you want a "dumb" phone, ie one that only calls and texts?
    You can get those anywhere for peanuts.

Or alternatively just turn mobile and/or wifi off on your 3/4/5g capable phone, and voilą. Problem solved, phone will now act like a dumb phone.

Note that just because you get x amount of data a month doesn't mean you have to use it...
    • nick74
    • By nick74 16th Nov 19, 11:31 AM
    • 376 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    nick74
    • 16th Nov 19, 11:31 AM
    • 16th Nov 19, 11:31 AM
    I may be wrong, but I think the OP has a basic 2G-only phone, has tried an ID Mobile SIM and found that it doesn't work because ID Mobile (or rather Three, who's signal they use) doesn't have any 2G coverage.

The answer in that case would be to use a SIM from Vodafone, O2 or EE (or any virtual network who use their signal) who do all still offer 2G coverage and will still support a basic 2G phone.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 16th Nov 19, 12:24 PM
    • 2,102 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 16th Nov 19, 12:24 PM
    • 16th Nov 19, 12:24 PM
    I suspect the OP has an old 2G phone, which won’t work on Three (inc ID and Smarty).

More modern phones have a menu setting to turn data off, stopping the phone draining data from your topup or the data included in the bundle.

A friend with a basic PAYG SIM does exactly the above, ie turned off mobile data. They use the discontinued “Classic” SIM from O2, which works in any old phone. There is a current “PAYG type” of SIM from O2 where you opt for unlimited calls/text in exchange for zero data. The cost is a £5 per month topup, whether you make a call or not. The SIM will work in an old 2G phone.

Currently the only low cost per call, truly “PAYG” in the traditional sense, which requires no regular topup, is the Three “321” one. It only works in a 3G phone and costs 3p/min, 2p per text. A topup doesn’t expire provided you make a call or text at least once every six months. Don’t rely on the “321” SIM from Three being available long term as their nearest competitor (O2) has dropped their equivalent.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 17th Nov 19, 11:19 AM
    • 2,191 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    nic_c
    • 17th Nov 19, 11:19 AM
    • 17th Nov 19, 11:19 AM
    I may be wrong, but I think the OP has a basic 2G-only phone, has tried an ID Mobile SIM and found that it doesn't work because ID Mobile (or rather Three, who's signal they use) doesn't have any 2G coverage.

The answer in that case would be to use a SIM from Vodafone, O2 or EE (or any virtual network who use their signal) who do all still offer 2G coverage and will still support a basic 2G phone.
    Originally posted by nick74
    THIS ^^^^

Agree OP needs to either get a 3G phone to use the ID sim or get another sim with a provider that still supports 2G (as mentioned). OP needs to decide and possibly cancel the ID sim if wanting to keep the phone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

266Posts Today

2,458Users online

Martin's Twitter