Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 17th May 10, 12:13 PM
    • 8,116Posts
    • 42,310Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion
    • 17th May 10, 12:13 PM
    Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion 17th May 10 at 12:13 PM
    Utility Warehouse

This is a special area for the discussion of Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus).

Unfortunately, it has become the topic for heated debate in the past and detracted from the main gas & electricity discussions. Therefore I would like to keep it restricted to just this discussion. Past discussions have been closed due to too many arguments between posters. This is a huge drain on resources and if it continues in this thread we'll have no choice but to keep the thread locked.

What is Utility Warehouse?

Unlike most energy companies and resellers Utility Warehouse operates by network marketing which means its customers are encouraged to sell on the product to their friends and they get commission for it.

This tends to mean it does well on feedback charts, as customers have a vested interest, and many of them are evangelical about the firm and sometimes over claim. That in itself doesnt make the product bad, but in our view it is no better or worse than any other energy provider.

Utility Warehouses prices are included in all the main comparison services we list therefore if the company turns out to be cheapest for you it should be listed by the comparison sites and then its worth going for. Please see the Compare gas & electricity guide for more.

Some strict rules

Due to rather bitter discussion about this we have had long term rules established.

• All Telecom Plus Distributors must declare it when they post
    • All workers or those related to other utility companies must declare it
    • There are to be no abusive comments, accusations of fraud.
    • Anyone breaking the above rules will be barred first of all from this board, and if they persist, from the Forums as a whole.

We hate having to be so draconian, yet this problem has lasted a long time.

For general, non-UW, discussions on gas & electricity click here.

And please, I know there are two very polemic views on Utility Warehouse going to be expressed in this thread. Please do not libel anyone. Treat those with opposing arguments with respect, even though you disagree and please try and avoid personal remarks. I live in hope!
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 145
    • KTF
    • By KTF 22nd Jan 13, 11:11 AM
    • 4,745 Posts
    • 1,945 Thanks
    KTF
    What number are they calling from?
  • brookiebroo
    withheld, barry number which is where im from so 01446 then the number. 02920 which is cardiff. its been a mix. im just sick of all the phone calls iv had about 2000 calls and they are still ringing now
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 22nd Jan 13, 11:29 AM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    As Ypaymore has already stated UW have one call centre and that is located within the Head Office in London (020 number?) so not sure what is happening here? If the calls are what you would call harassment then surely it would be an idea getting in touch with your telecoms supplier to get it blocked and, if need be, take it further with regards to logging a complaint?
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 22nd Jan 13, 11:31 AM
    • 28,084 Posts
    • 13,926 Thanks
    Cardew
    Sounds like it is a faulty 'automatic dialler'.

You are probably better asking advice in the 'telephones' forum.
  • brookiebroo
    Sounds like it is a faulty 'automatic dialler'.

You are probably better asking advice in the 'telephones' forum.
    Originally posted by Cardew
    i did and they put me into this forum but thank you i have rang my telephone provider and because the numbers keep changing i cannot block all of them because as soon as i do it changes to another number. also im very annoyed as someone gave me details out and the only person who has my details was the utility warehouse! when i finished signing up with them they said to make a password as there has been issues with scammers as they give your details out to third parties or something
    • Ypaymore
    • By Ypaymore 22nd Jan 13, 11:35 AM
    • 2,702 Posts
    • 1,032 Thanks
    Ypaymore
    just realised you chnaged your post do you work for them?. i dont know who it is but they said it was them and they said the ladies name who seen me at the shop and they know everything about my business. if its not them then i dont have a clue how they foudn about about my brand new business which iv told no one about!
    Originally posted by brookiebroo
    No i dont work for them in any shape or form thank you ,just trying to help.

Have you tried calling the lady who saw you in the shop to see if she can help you resolve the matter.
  • brookiebroo
    No i dont work for them in any shape or form thank you ,just trying to help.

Have you tried calling the lady who saw you in the shop to see if she can help you resolve the matter.
    Originally posted by Ypaymore
    yeah waiting for her to reply and thank you iv gota pop out now so will be back later so if i dont reply thats why but thank you everyone for your help
    • mshappy
    • By mshappy 25th Jan 13, 10:37 PM
    • 716 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    mshappy
    Just signed up for utility warehouse I am sceptical after reading this abd I don't know whether to cancel or give it a go
    2012 wins! can of deodorant, a personalised Bean, craft show tickets, Top Gear Live Tickets, Case of sourz fusion
    • dude89
    • By dude89 25th Jan 13, 11:11 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    dude89
    Just signed up for utility warehouse I am sceptical after reading this abd I don't know whether to cancel or give it a go
    Originally posted by mshappy
    I would say it depends on how you came about choosing them. If it was by using a comparison website and they came out cheapest then sure give them a go.

If it was through one of their distributors then go to a comparison website and find out how they compare. If you can get cheaper then cancel
    • mshappy
    • By mshappy 26th Jan 13, 2:11 PM
    • 716 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    mshappy
    Based on the initial quote it won't be any worse than where we are now, best thing is due to my previous bad credit I am unable to get a sim only deal but that is no problem with the utility warehouse
    2012 wins! can of deodorant, a personalised Bean, craft show tickets, Top Gear Live Tickets, Case of sourz fusion
    • HappyMJ
    • By HappyMJ 26th Jan 13, 5:52 PM
    • 20,595 Posts
    • 17,201 Thanks
    HappyMJ
    Based on the initial quote it won't be any worse than where we are now, best thing is due to my previous bad credit I am unable to get a sim only deal but that is no problem with the utility warehouse
    That'll be because you are paying in advance where most contracts are paid in arrears. If you miss a payment and don't contact them then everything gets cut off...the landline, the internet, the mobile phone, the electricity, the gas.

If you have bad credit then expect UW to install a prepayment meter if one does not already exist...or pay a hefty deposit.

Are you renting?

Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money.
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 26th Jan 13, 6:45 PM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    What Happy fails to mention is that UW are (as far as I'm aware) the only G&E supplier who allow you to pay for exactly what you have used in the previous month as standard. Just provide monthly readings at the end of each month and your DD in the following month will reflect that exact usage of the previous month. Elimating at a stroke the thorny/common problem of people getting into arrears by underpaying for their actual usage and then being sent a big catch up bill. They can do this because they are the only G&E supplier that bill monthly as standard. Horses for course, I guess. Doing this way in combination with taking 4 services means you will then qualify for a 10% refund on your first year's G&E charges.
    • mshappy
    • By mshappy 26th Jan 13, 6:51 PM
    • 716 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    mshappy
    We don't have a gas supply.

My partner is the main account holder. Our credit can't be too bad as we managed to get normal bank accounts okay a few months ago.

For us it sounds ideal and very convenient having everything come out at once and the fact I can have in effect a contract sim is great.

We are in a rented flat and don't have access to our own electric metre due to data protection so I doubt they would be able to fit a pre paid meter.
    • mshappy
    • By mshappy 26th Jan 13, 6:59 PM
    • 716 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    mshappy
    would landline, internet, and 2 mobile sims consitute as 4 services?
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 27th Jan 13, 11:49 AM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    would landline, internet, and 2 mobile sims consitute as 4 services?

Unfortunately not Only one of each qualifying service can be included in the calculation so only one of the SIMs will count. Don't forget that adding Electricity to the 3 services (as long as you ordered them all at once) would qualify you for a 10% refund on the first year's electricity spend (paid in arrears), which isn't included in the figure on the switching sites. Depends on your usage as to whether this makes it the cheapest, I guess. There are T&cs involved including inputting regular meter readings (never a bad idea though).

Having 4 services also gives you extras like:

* 'Double the Difference' price promise
    * 10% Extra Discount on your energy (already mentioned)
    * 200 to help you switch
    * Free 'Peak Saver' - unlimited free 'anytime' calls to UK landline numbers, save s
    * Free calls to mobiles - unlimited free 'anytime' calls to Utility Warehouse mobiles from your landline
    * Free international calls - unlimited free 'anytime' calls from your landline to: Australia, Canada, China, Hong Kong, France, Germany, Italy, Israel, Spain and USA
    * Broadband from just 2.99 a month
    * Huge savings on new phone lines - we can install a new phone line for as little as 24
    * A Premium Smartphone with no upfront fee - for members who take all five eligible services

Only you can make the decision as to if this is the right deal for you, of course. There are obviously T&Cs attached (aren't there always??) which you would need to check out as well.
    Last edited by MillicentBystander; 27-01-2013 at 11:51 AM.
    • mshappy
    • By mshappy 27th Jan 13, 5:52 PM
    • 716 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    mshappy
    Unfortunately not Only one of each qualifying service can be included in the calculation so only one of the SIMs will count. Don't forget that adding Electricity to the 3 services (as long as you ordered them all at once) would qualify you for a 10% refund on the first year's electricity spend (paid in arrears), which isn't included in the figure on the switching sites. Depends on your usage as to whether this makes it the cheapest, I guess. There are T&cs involved including inputting regular meter readings (never a bad idea though).

Having 4 services also gives you extras like:

* 'Double the Difference' price promise
    * 10% Extra Discount on your energy (already mentioned)
    * 200 to help you switch
    * Free 'Peak Saver' - unlimited free 'anytime' calls to UK landline numbers, save s
    * Free calls to mobiles - unlimited free 'anytime' calls to Utility Warehouse mobiles from your landline
    * Free international calls - unlimited free 'anytime' calls from your landline to: Australia, Canada, China, Hong Kong, France, Germany, Italy, Israel, Spain and USA
    * Broadband from just 2.99 a month
    * Huge savings on new phone lines - we can install a new phone line for as little as 24
    * A Premium Smartphone with no upfront fee - for members who take all five eligible services

Only you can make the decision as to if this is the right deal for you, of course. There are obviously T&Cs attached (aren't there always??) which you would need to check out as well.
    Originally posted by MillicentBystander
    It does seem ideal. We will be making savings already just by having 2 SIM cards with them
    • HappyMJ
    • By HappyMJ 27th Jan 13, 6:08 PM
    • 20,595 Posts
    • 17,201 Thanks
    HappyMJ
    We don't have a gas supply.

My partner is the main account holder. Our credit can't be too bad as we managed to get normal bank accounts okay a few months ago.

For us it sounds ideal and very convenient having everything come out at once and the fact I can have in effect a contract sim is great.

We are in a rented flat and don't have access to our own electric metre due to data protection so I doubt they would be able to fit a pre paid meter.
    Before committing to them ask what sort of deposit they require. As you are renting it will probably be 100 for the electricity.

Not sure what you mean by data protection. It's the suppliers meter they can access it whenever they want. They can replace it with whatever meter they want at any time. If access is refused they can get a court order to gain access.
    It does seem ideal. We will be making savings already just by having 2 SIM cards with them
    What sort of deal do you currently have? T-mobile have a half price offer on the Full Monty SIM for a few days. Unlimited everything for 16 a month....Although UW's 20 a month almost unlimited 100 numbers 5000mins, unlimited text and 2GB data is a 1 month contract and t-mobile is 12 months. All other offers that UW have can easily be beaten elsewhere.

Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money.
    • mshappy
    • By mshappy 27th Jan 13, 6:25 PM
    • 716 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    mshappy
    We don't have access to our own electric metre, due to the location and the fact everyone's is in one locked cupboard so I doubt they could fit ore paid,

Again my credit rating doesn't allow us to get sim only deals from any of the main providers so uw is a bonus for us.
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 27th Jan 13, 7:46 PM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    Before committing to them ask what sort of deposit they require. As you are renting it will probably be 100 for the electricity.

Not sure what you mean by data protection. It's the suppliers meter they can access it whenever they want. They can replace it with whatever meter they want at any time. If access is refused they can get a court order to gain access.

What sort of deal do you currently have? T-mobile have a half price offer on the Full Monty SIM for a few days. Unlimited everything for 16 a month....Although UW's 20 a month almost unlimited 100 numbers 5000mins, unlimited text and 2GB data is a 1 month contract and t-mobile is 12 months. All other offers that UW have can easily be beaten elsewhere.
    Originally posted by HappyMJ

As you have admitted, the 'T Mobile deal' (and we'll wait until Monday to see what this deal entails as it is NOT offered by T Mobile direct) is a 12 month contract and would require a good credit rating but do keep stretching.
    Last edited by MillicentBystander; 27-01-2013 at 8:04 PM.
    • HappyMJ
    • By HappyMJ 28th Jan 13, 9:54 AM
    • 20,595 Posts
    • 17,201 Thanks
    HappyMJ
    As you have admitted, the 'T Mobile deal' (and we'll wait until Monday to see what this deal entails as it is NOT offered by T Mobile direct) is a 12 month contract and would require a good credit rating but do keep stretching.
    Originally posted by MillicentBystander
    My partner is on a DMP...Many many defaults and has recently got a new contract..it's not always a problem getting a new mobile contract with a mobile provider with bad credit...unless they have defaulted with the mobile provider they want to get a contract with.

Looks like it is T-Mobile to me as the website it www.t-mobile.co.uk.. http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/sim-only/sim-only-the-full-monty-31-12m/t-mobile-combi-sim-paym/extras/

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

548Posts Today

6,900Users online

Martin's Twitter