Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 17th May 10, 12:13 PM
    • 8,116Posts
    • 42,310Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion
    • 17th May 10, 12:13 PM
    Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion 17th May 10 at 12:13 PM
    Utility Warehouse

This is a special area for the discussion of Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus).

Unfortunately, it has become the topic for heated debate in the past and detracted from the main gas & electricity discussions. Therefore I would like to keep it restricted to just this discussion. Past discussions have been closed due to too many arguments between posters. This is a huge drain on resources and if it continues in this thread we'll have no choice but to keep the thread locked.

What is Utility Warehouse?

Unlike most energy companies and resellers Utility Warehouse operates by network marketing which means its customers are encouraged to sell on the product to their friends and they get commission for it.

This tends to mean it does well on feedback charts, as customers have a vested interest, and many of them are evangelical about the firm Ė and sometimes over claim. That in itself doesnít make the product bad, but in our view it is no better or worse than any other energy provider.

Utility Warehouses prices are included in all the main comparison services we list therefore if the company turns out to be cheapest for you it should be listed by the comparison sites and then itís worth going for. Please see the Compare gas & electricity guide for more.

Some strict rules

Due to rather bitter discussion about this we have had long term rules established.

• All Telecom Plus Distributors must declare it when they post
    • All workers or those related to other utility companies must declare it
    • There are to be no abusive comments, accusations of fraud.
    • Anyone breaking the above rules will be barred first of all from this board, and if they persist, from the Forums as a whole.

We hate having to be so draconian, yet this problem has lasted a long time.

For general, non-UW, discussions on gas & electricity click here.

And please, I know there are two very polemic views on Utility Warehouse going to be expressed in this thread. Please do not libel anyone. Treat those with opposing arguments with respect, even though you disagree and please try and avoid personal remarks. I live in hope!
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 140
  • xxSaffronxx
    Im going to go back to Virgin - I was on fibre optic with them and had no probs

However UW still want to clawback the £159 they paid out on my behalf to go to them
    I have wrote to the Chief Execs Office (which is part of their complaints procedure)
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 24th Oct 12, 1:55 PM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    If it's a BT line and the filters aren't faulty (have you checked this, btw?) then surely the crackly line would ring alarm bells as to the line supplier as opposed to the BB supplier? Just a thought. Have to say i wouldn't think UWs stand alone BB is that well priced. Just looked and it doesn't look like they offer standalone BB anymore but I seem to recall it was about £15/mth but you can get line rental & the same BB for less than £5/mth more!

Would love to know the current speed of your internet, you can find it out here and post a link to the result

www.speedtest.net
    Last edited by MillicentBystander; 24-10-2012 at 2:00 PM.
  • xxSaffronxx
    If it's a BT line and the filters aren't faulty (have you checked this, btw?) then surely the crackly line would ring alarm bells as to the line supplier as opposed to the BB supplier? Just a thought. Have to say i wouldn't think UWs stand alone BB is that well priced. Just looked and it doesn't look like they offer standalone BB anymore but I seem to recall it was about £15/mth but you can get line rental & the same BB for less than £5/mth more!

Would love to know the current speed of your internet, you can find it out here and post a link to the result

www.speedtest.net
    Originally posted by MillicentBystander
    Yes ive bought numerous filters as they originally thought this to be the problem.
    I had their BB & Phone package (about £20 per month according to my last bill)

The current speed is 0.5mb from the tests they have done. But I can do the speed test when I get home if you want exact figures
    • penrhyn
    • By penrhyn 24th Oct 12, 4:29 PM
    • 15,006 Posts
    • 8,056 Thanks
    penrhyn
    Saffrons line stats show a downstream speed of 691 kbps and an upstream speed of 591kbps. This would be the 0.5Mbps they reported.
    Unless they have a very long line, and we will only find out from their downstream attenuation figure there is clearly a fault on the line.
    I sort of assumed or perhaps should not have that the test was carried out at the master socket.
    If there are wired extentions then a test should be made at the test socket.

That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • xxSaffronxx

www.speedtest.net
    Ive just done a speed test using UWs link as the one you gave me meant downloading things?

Anyway.........
    Download Speed 643kbps
    Upload Speed 463kbps
  • xxSaffronxx
    Need the attenuation and noise margin figures if you can find them. I agree things are not good.
    Try hitting the view more button.
    Originally posted by penrhyn
    I cannot find the info you want me to look for
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 24th Oct 12, 9:16 PM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    Are you running a PC or Mac?
  • xxSaffronxx
    Are you running a PC or Mac?
    PC / Laptop
    • penrhyn
    • By penrhyn 25th Oct 12, 9:50 AM
    • 15,006 Posts
    • 8,056 Thanks
    penrhyn
    I cannot find the info you want me to look for
    Originally posted by xxSaffronxx
    It should be possible to obtain the full set of line stats from your router. I'm surprised that UW did not ask you for them, as just running a speed test is inadequate. Do they run their own tech support on BB?

I've pasted this from another site, it claimes to be off a Technicolor modem, whats the model number of yours?
    I've highlighted the relavent info in bold.
    Home > Broadband Connection > DSL Connection Overview | Details
    Click on details.. to bring up the full line stats and info.. copy and paste it here.
    DSL Connection
    Link Information
    Uptime: 2 days, 2:14:57
    DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
    Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,024 / 6,880
    Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 448.05 / 8.89
    Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
    Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.5 / 40.0
    SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 8.0 / 6.5
    Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
    Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
    Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
    Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
    Loss of Link (Remote): 0
    Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 639 / 0
    FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
    CRC Errors (Up/Down): 71 / 1,457
    HEC Errors (Up/Down): 44 / 887

It could be that you are a very long way from the exchange and you can only get a poor BB connection the stats will tell us this for certain.
  • xxSaffronxx
    I pasted all the info I had im afraid. I tried to look again last night and couldnt obtain what you are looking for
  • xxSaffronxx
    What happens when you click on the link in post# 2789?
    Originally posted by espresso
    I cant yet as im not at home
  • xxSaffronxx
    Try clicking here
    Originally posted by espresso
    Ok here is the result:

Uptime: 8 days, 23:47:26

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.3

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 594 / 691

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 204.98 / 936.45

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.8 / 14.2

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 36.6 / 64.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 13.0 / 5.9

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / GSPN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 10,358 / 7

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 7,022 / 16,378

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 1,101 / 12,355
    • penrhyn
    • By penrhyn 25th Oct 12, 9:02 PM
    • 15,006 Posts
    • 8,056 Thanks
    penrhyn
    Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 594 / 691

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 204.98 / 936.45

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.8 / 14.2

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 36.6 / 64.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 13.0 / 5.9

OK. With your 64db line the best speed that's theoretically possible is between 2 and 3 Mbps.
    Your router is doing the best it can as its synchronising to the broadband signal at 5.9 db.

Could you try repeating the test using the test socket as shown previously?

Also perform a quiet line test:- ( I've pasted this in)
    Once you have your telephone connected to the BT test socket dial 17070. You will reach BT's line test facility.
    Choose option 2 from the menu presented - "Quiet Line Test".
    If your telephone has the option, put it on mute. You should hear nothing through the handset.
    If you do hear any line noise, crackling, buzzing, popping or humming, note the time when you conducted the test.
  • hybrid
    Utility Warehouse Threatening Letter
    Hi all

I moved to a new property in August 2012, with no previous gas/electric accounts. The property had previously been supplied by Utility Warehouse, but, as I was moving in new, and have heard horror stories from Utility warehouse, I decided to phone nPower straight away.

I gave nPower the meter reading correct as of date I moved in. They told me it would take six to ten weeks to migrate, but we set up a direct debit asap.

During this period, the previous occupant was still receiving Utility Warehouse letters, which I forwarded to the landlord. Don't know what was in them, but their logo was on the front.

Four weeks ago, I received a letter saying we had been migrated and nPower was now my supplier. I have paid them three months direct debits. However, two weeks ago, Utility Warehouse sent me a letter saying that as the previous tennant was a Utility Warehouse customer, I am automatically a Utility Warehouse customer (they must have got my name from the landlord). The letter stated that as I have been using electricity, I either need to pay them for what I have used before they will let me migrate to another supplier, OR they want me to pay £100 up front before I can set up a direct debit. I ignored the letter because I was an nPower customer.

They have since sent threatening letters saying they could terminate our supply unless we pay. What should I do??? have they got any rights? Should I call nPower?

Thanks in advance
    Debt Free Wannabe

DMP with CCCS - £8,100
    DFD - December 2014
  • jalexa
    I ignored the letter because I was an nPower customer.

They have since sent threatening letters saying they could terminate our supply unless we pay. What should I do??? have they got any rights? Should I call nPower?
    Originally posted by hybrid
    The only thing which can be said with certainty is that from the day you moved in until a switch is completed you are a Utility Warehouse customer.

Whether a transfer has been completed needs to be established.

*If* NPower has correctly processed the switch - and UW failed to object - *probably* you are now an NPower customer but you will owe UW for energy consumed from entry until the transfer date. You need to speak to both parties and agree a way forward.

Don't be afraid to use the complaint's procedure in response to what you believe is unjustified threatening behavior.
    Last edited by jalexa; 02-11-2012 at 11:17 AM.
  • hybrid
    Ah....!!!!!!

I will talk to Utility Warehouse and npower then

Thanks for helpful and prompt feedback
    Debt Free Wannabe

DMP with CCCS - £8,100
    DFD - December 2014
  • oldfrankybaby
    Overpayment from Utility Warehouse
    I'm a new forum member and I am just about to embark on a similar journey to recover my overpayment from Utility Warehouse. I will be staring a new thread as my situation will be different. My E 7 meter is fine but the teleswitch as not been switching the E7 circuit over, (there is a tiny red switch I now see on the radio teleswitch that remains ON) so therfore my E7 storage heaters have been taking up juice at random day and night. I always used to pay bills on a budget basis and that has camoflaged the problem and not shown the difference between winter / summer use - I srongly advise anyone to read the meter every month and pay what they use! - I have been with 4 suppliers - Seeboard for ages (we have lived in theis house for 40 years) then Sainsburys, then Scottish Power, finally UW. Been with UW since May 2010. My meter was actually changed to digital in 2001 .
    I now believe that my bills have for a long while been inflated by this 'random rate' storge heater consumption. Over the last 10 years they averaged £1800 p.a. and thats when power was cheaper!. I have been trying to get them down - hence switching, and I also use solar water heating , wood burning appliances that also heat my water / cooking etc.
    By NOT using the heaters my monthly consumption since May 2012 - Nov 2012 has reduced to average £50 per month from over £150.
    The UW guy is here now changing the teleswitch which IS faulty - my next step is to try and recover some money from UW.
    • Ady87
    • By Ady87 10th Dec 12, 6:47 PM
    • 261 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Ady87
    Utility Warehouse Problem...
    I left my last property on 27th October.

I informed UW of my leaving the premises a few days prior to this and gave them my forwarding address. My letting agency sent Utility Warehouse my final meter reading. We then got a final bill a week or two later for £56. Job done.

I had forgotten to pay this in all honesty, it was on a list of things to do. I got home today to a letter (different to the address i initially gave them and got my final bill sent to...) that is asking for £100 and claims this is £6 on top of what was previously asked for, for paying late. It also refers to this going on my next monthly bill. This makes no sense and looks like they have added an extra month on top.

I can't get through to them during working hours because i work every one god sends and i literally can't get in touch with them by phone. Their out of hours set up is terrible. I have just sent them an e-mail. Will this suffice or is there a representative on here?
  • oldfrankybaby
    Faulty teleswitch to E7 circuit for ???? years
    I'm a new forum member and I am just about to embark on a journey to recover overpayment to Utility Warehouse, and hopefully previous suppliers. For years I have been trying figure out why my electircity bills were so high; and about 4 weeks ago I discovered that though the meter itself worked fine and switched between Hi tariff and Low at the right times, the teleswitch as not been switching the E7 circuit over. There was a tiny red switch hardly visible from my line of sight on the radio teleswitch that remained ON all the time. The result was that my E7 storage heaters (7 of them!) have been taking up juice at random day and night (compatible with their thermostat settings) - which in practice means for 17/24 hours I'm paying the high tariff.
    I always used to pay bills on a budget basis and that has camoflaged the problem and not shown the difference between winter / summer use - I srongly advise anyone to read their meter every month and pay what they use! -
    I have been with 4 suppliers - Seeboard for ages (we have lived in this house for 40 years) then Sainsburys, then Scottish Power, finally UW. Been with UW since May 2010. My meter was actually changed to digital in 2001 .
    I now believe that my bills have for a long while been inflated by this 'random rate' storge heater consumption. Over the last 10 years they averaged £1800 p.a. (checkng back through bank a/cs) and thats when power was cheaper!.
    I have been trying to get them down - hence switching, and I also use solar water heating -ok in summer , wood burning appliances (Rayburn) that also heat my water / cooking mostly in winter etc.
    Recently, I've been experimenting by NOT using the storage heaters after this summer and kept I've them off in desperation to identify what was going on. Eurika - my monthly electricity consumption since May 2012 - Dec 2012 has reduced to average £50 per month from over £150 -the crazy thing is that with all my efforts to find a solution, I did not twig about the circuit switch until 4 weeks ago!.
    The UW engineer chap called today and fitted an integral meter / switch-over box ( and was very helpfu!l ) he has confirmed that my meter had worked fine but the E7 circuit had been live 24 hours a day. I now will have power to the heaters only at the low tarrif
    I'm on to UW about some sort of refund but how can I calculate it? and what about previous suppiers who say they have not got records of my a/c anymore?
    Sorry a long post - but its a long story to explain.
    • Wolf3
    • By Wolf3 10th Dec 12, 9:18 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Wolf3
    i think depending on when the E7 timeswitch stopped working your energy supplier might be able to check the EAC (estimated annual consumption) sent between the data collector and supplier every 3 months or so. Therefore they could deem a correct Day/night split for your meter before the timeswitch broke and rebill the account accordingly.
    This might be a little more convoluted if you have changed supplier 4 times and the timeswitch broke a number of years ago.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,969Posts Today

8,076Users online

Martin's Twitter