PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I've Kondoed 2 stone in weight. Am well chuffed!

Off on hols soon and then going to get another skip and throw out even more (although tbh, it all goes to friends or the CS and the skip takes yonks to fill..)!
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Is GQ kondoing seed potatoes on her allotment or will there be another instalment of Tales from the Family Homestead?
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    catshark well done, that's fab :T:T

Today I *whispers* bought a few things for my art projects
    - An A3 canvas so I can try a BIG picture :)
    - a fairly-large-but-not-A3-frame from CS for another project. This frame is intriguing because it contains a print in portrait mode but is strung to hang in landscape mode...... I am planning an actual landscape picture so the stringing is fine for me! The easiest place to 'store it' is hanging on a wall so there is now a sideways print in my multipurpose room!! It is behind the door so no-one can see it but I may have to take the print out to stop my eyes boggling!

I also bought 2 items to make a gift for a client who will be 80 next month so they will not be staying long.

Only stuff that has left is the recycling but I have earmarked 2 pictures to go, just need DH to agree. :rotfl:
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Today I am clearing out the greenhouse.............it has become a bit of a dumping ground over winter and is also housing my DD1 gardening/horty stuff which she brought back with her before heading off for a winter season skiing.........she has now decided to stay there for the summer ( gardening) so I will pack all her tools in a in box and put in shed until she decides what to do with it! I will be offering all the plastic plant pots on fr**gle or taking to my favourite garden centre pot/tray recycling point. Reducing the plastic here so looking for alternatives and recyclables :)
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,347 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Well done Catshark!:T

I kondoed some more paperwork yesterday as we switched to a new home insurance provider.
  • CosmicZebra
    CosmicZebra Posts: 30 Forumite
    We!!!8217;d decided to have the kitchen fitters in to add more cupboards- about £1000 worth of work in total. I Kondo-ed the existing drawers and cupboards yesterday and now we don!!!8217;t need the extra space. Saving money and stress- a v productive morning!!!8217;s work.
    Savings from frugal & simple living:
    Jan ISA& Save Acc £1600 Mort o/paid £250
    Feb ISA&save acc £1330.89 Mort o/paid£500
    March ISA&save ac£811.35 mort o/paid £250
    :j
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 April 2018 at 5:34PM
    Friday we wallpapered a wall in the big bedroom. I'd bought the paper last year when I bought paper for 3 other walls in other rooms. I also had a sample of the paper which used to check it would work with the existing colours on the walls. When I opened up the first roll of paper, the pattern on the sample was different........ Oh dear, I must have picked up similarly coloured rolls from the wrong rack in the shop. Way too late to return or exchange. As we're decorating to improve the look to sell, rather than to live with ourselves, I decided just to work with what we'd got. It was difficult enough to find something that would go with primrose walls and pale blue carpet, I couldn't face a trip to go and try and find something else. We were out yesterday so put the room back together today. Have moved a couple of pictures from one wall to above the bed. The ones which were hanging there before were a bit masculine for a bedroom (old car prints), we've now got prints of Italian Tuscan scenes. We were able to hang a picture that had been in the dining room on the fixings the prints had been on previously which saved drilling the painted walls again. The car prints may replace some photos of Greece on the landing. These may be offered to visiting friends who have visited this same place in a few weeks in case they would like them.

Putting the wallpaper pasting table back in the loft, OH was instructed to drag out some crates with unknown contents that had been lurking in the front of the loft where I couldn't get to them. We've been through them and the majority of the contents have either been recycled, shredded or piled up for shredding when I have some boxes to put the shredded paper into. Crates will be going back to the loft 'in case we need them when we move......'. There's probably about a box file's worth of stuff that's been kept, which is a lot less than I thought OH would keep.

We had hoped to do some gardening today, but it's so cold and the grass is so wet still it's going to be a challenge to mow. Maybe we'll get lucky tomorrow.

ETA When we moved the wardrobe in the bedroom, we had to take out all the contents. OH identified a suit to go to the CS plus a whole load of trouser hangers which were cluttering up the bottom of it have been scooped up to be recycled.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I am getting closer and closer to my future home and have decided, after a lot of research, that I may buy an over 55 property in a very small development which is within a large village with market and small shops. They are still at pre-planning stage and I should think that it will take a year after that. I am not scared but am apprehensive, I would have that small garden but no more maintenance and it would be freehold and I know the cycling areas from there

These are 2 bed properties upstairs and one study/3rd bed downstairs plus a garage so would be future proof. I know I want one and have already made one-sided contact, the builder is very good and they are well built. I have to work on MK properly now, no more faffing about and it is scarey. I am already down to nitty gritty but much more will have to go and I cannot do that yet, not until I know for certain

I have (and want) to keep all my hobby stuff. I don`t need all the clothes that I have, I think there will likely be a dressing room. There will not be room for my study furniture and probably not for two chests of drawers and one bed. My last home was a town house, loved the interior, it had 3 bedrooms, study etc. Now I have 4 bedrooms, study, snug etc and I have filled the space. It is not cluttered, just occupied and used

I can only do so much MK at the moment as I am p***ing in the wind. When I know for sure then I will get rid of the bulk. Tomorrow it will be raining and I will sort, again, one room upstairs
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Kittie will you be able to do a part exchange on the new property with your existing? Could be a good option to allow yourself to concentrate on slimming down your existing treasures, rather than having to worry about having to go through the stress of selling your current home?
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,237 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Kittie that sound exciting and something to work towards if you decide to go for one xx
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills