Emails

Options
Hello

Want to ask a question regarding a debt company.

I have more than one email I use for different things I.E. Work, Online shops etc. I have been receiving emails on multiple accounts from a debt company. Now I don't and have never had any debts so I didn't know what these were about, however after receiving them and seeing the details about amounts owed etc I found out it was my old mans debt who had lived at the same address as me, somehow this company has found details of my emails and linked it to the name and address and keep sending these. Even after I've b*llocked them letting them know it isn't me.

My question is, are they allowed to reveal details like amount owed etc in emails like that when they clearly don't know who they are sending them to?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Now they know it's not your husband's/father's email address, they should not be revealing any personal data.

Report to ICO if they continue.
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Options
    Seems like harassment of your dad to me

https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/your-rights/harassed-by-creditors.aspx

Look at

*Discussing your debts with a family member or employer

Give them to opportunity to rectify then the ICO. The ICO won't look at it unless you have given some time to them.
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Y^ou say HAD lived at the same address - has he now moved elsewhere or is he now sadly deceased?

Are the emails addressed to you or your father?

You have informed the collectors that it's not you who owes anything so they should stop the email harassment.

You only need to reply to an actual written letter delivered through your letterbox - until then you can ignore their bleatings, just mark the emails as SPAM and wait for an actual letter.
  • liselle
    liselle Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    And also send a Letter of Disassociation to Experian
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts