Toshiba HD-EP30 HD DVD Player. £119.99

Comments

• Osakan
    Osakan Posts: 79 Forumite
    richardb70 wrote: »
    Umm, trying to keep this civil and all, but I'd really love to know where you got those stats from!

Latest weekly sales figures show a massive drop in HD-DVD player purchases, down to just 7% of market following the Warner Bros announcement at CES. Reported on Engadget and the register.
  • One week of sales figures.

Yes, everyone knows that after the Warner announcement, all the Blue Ray supporters yelled "Victory!" and the media jumped on the bandwagon. So yes, sales of HD DVD players - and media - dropped.

But I'm willing to bet that this isn't the case anymore. Like I said before, there are big studios still releasing on HD DVD. If you want these films, why don't you go "neutral", rather than spending your time on these forums getting worked up about the supposed "loser"? If it's only going to cost you slightly over £100 to get a good player with 7 free films, what's the problem? You'll get access to everything then - and it'll sit nicely alongside your Playstation.
  • daggman wrote: »
    yep they were the one week figures but since the warner support for Blu exclusives only. HDDVD sales have collapsed.

NPD figurres are fact and Disc sales are more on Blu, and now standalone players are selling much better than HDDVD. But everyone knows the best selling Bluray player is the ps3 which is not included.

http://news.digitaltrends.com/news/story/15504/npd_blu-ray_sales_soar_with_warner_aboard

I dont want to call you stupid... but..... one week (the latest week) does not signal a collapse, or a trend- you would need weeks of data.

Clearly you a bit of a fan boy- fair enough.

Fact is for £115 you will not get a better upscaler with 7 of the films of offer, especially in HD.
  • Osakan
    Osakan Posts: 79 Forumite
    richardb70 wrote: »
    One week of sales figures.

Yes, everyone knows that after the Warner announcement, all the Blue Ray supporters yelled "Victory!" and the media jumped on the bandwagon. So yes, sales of HD DVD players - and media - dropped.

But I'm willing to bet that this isn't the case anymore. Like I said before, there are big studios still releasing on HD DVD. If you want these films, why don't you go "neutral", rather than spending your time on these forums getting worked up about the supposed "loser"? If it's only going to cost you slightly over £100 to get a good player with 7 free films, what's the problem? You'll get access to everything then - and it'll sit nicely alongside your Playstation.

Yes, true it is only one week's sales figures, but then there are only one week's figures available post CES, and yes the media has jumped on the bandwagon. However I do think that it is notable that there wasn't the same swing in the other direction (towards HD-DVD) when Universal and Paramount announced their HD-DVD exclusivity in August last year. Rumours of a $150m payoff to the studios appeared quite quickly afterwards... With Warner they have moved from fully HD-DVD, to joint Blu-Ray and HD-DVD then finally to fully Blu-Ray. They must see a benefit in Blu-Ray, I seem to recall that they said that for their films released on both formats, Blu-Ray outsold HD-DVD 3:1.
    For me the interesting thing will be which of Universal or Paramount blinks first - there will be financial benefit to being the only supplier of discs to the installed base of the "losing" format; people have the machine and they will have to buy something to play on them, right?
  • Playing devil's advocate a little here: the Blu-Ray group's marketing has been superb compared to the rather limp HD campaign. Apparently over in the US they run plenty of TV commercials, and Amazon.com (amongst others) have been running virtually non-stop BOGOF sales of Blu-Ray discs for quite a while now - a good contribution to the nice, oft-quoted 2:1 and 3:1 figures. I rented Spiderman 3 last night on SD and there was a Blu-Ray promo in the "extras".

I can't quite work out why Toshiba et al didn't get their act together until recently, but by all accounts they've started blitzing the airwaves over the pond too. I think the Warner defection shook them out of their lethargy; they probably assumed that the players, prices and familiar name would speak for itself.
  • daggman
    daggman Posts: 25 Forumite
    Adam_uk wrote: »
    I dont want to call you stupid... but..... one week (the latest week) does not signal a collapse, or a trend- you would need weeks of data.

Clearly you a bit of a fan boy- fair enough.

Fact is for £115 you will not get a better upscaler with 7 of the films of offer, especially in HD.

That report shows sales including the whole of december and shows a trend of the gap getting larger and the sales colapsing that week. fact.

Fanboy, oh great thats the first time i ever been called a fanboy, i am a fan of Man Utd yes, I am a fan of Lewis Hamiltons, yes, but a fan of a DVD format, Oh please.:mad:

My first post stated this is a good upscaler but others could be found cheaper..Fact.

The only reason i have any intrest in this is because i read a lot of pc related news sites,dailytech,inquirer,register etc.... and they always report on the HDDVD bluray battle. But the reposrts on these sites all seem to be singing the same tune, that it looks like Bluray has won the Format war....maybe these sites are Fanboy sites thou.

I will not buy into either format, but i would also not recomend buying a HDDVD player to anyone, why get your fingers burned.
  • In Europe HD DVD is actually a better deal than here in the US, you have easy access to Studio Canal, one of the biggest European distribution companies, who distributes exclusively on HD DVD, through the french company you have access to movies from Fox and Sony, which if HD DVD owners in the US want they have to be imported at a much higher mark-up than over in England.
  • Marishka
    Marishka Posts: 48 Forumite
    BluMonkey wrote: »
    My Ps2 was chipped and I bought games from US because they were cheaper ... when I sold it on ebay I kept hold of the none UK games ...

Im taking the advice of someone on this site re importing the PS3 ... if your interested I will let you know how I get on ... The 80gb sell on ebay for well over £400 ... I was going to buy another standalone player, but in light of several discussions Ive decided to get the PS3 ... although my gf is not happy with the idea haha, it took all my time to convince her to turn the garage into a cinema and how it will free up space in the living room haha

Sorry, but this beats all the flashy sports cars, roses, bottles of perfume and over-use of aftershave in my book. That definitely wins my "coolest garage ever" prize! I'm sure the gf is convinced now she's seen the finished article...?

Now for the idiotic questions -
    I don't play video games so don't really know anything about games consoles - you can play films on them too????

As far as I can gather, the gist of the conversation so far seems to be that, probably, in a few months time, possibly, HD DVD will be dead in the water and everyone will switch to BR? (can't bring myself to mis-type BLUE) Presumably at this point everyone will throw away their HD DVD players....and discs??? Now, I don't know about the players but it strikes me that some judicious wombling and a few boot fairs should provide a big enough HD DVD library to keep those of us not desperate to be that up-to-date going for some while even if the newest things are only available on BR. I should think that the ensuing cheapness of HD DVD rejects would easily free up the money to spend on a few BR discs if essential and the, presumably cheaper-by-then, player.
    Now, of course there's always going to be a bit of crystal-ball gazing involved here (but that's life isn't it?) but, speaking as a lover of vinyl, I had 4000 records just before CDs took off and over 8000 just over a year later, almost all of which had been obtained from roadside rubbish dumps, the big skips at recycling yards and in bulk from boot fairs. To total actual outlay was about £50. And it's interesting to note that a lot of this stuff hasn't even been released on CD yet and we're already moving into the download age.
    AS for what I'm going to do, well I'm going to have a think for a few days and I'm seriously considering the Amazon offer, especially since I've just invested in a lovely new 32" flat screen (£433 down from £700 - thanks Martin!) but I'm sorely tempted to wait til the summer and browse the boot fairs with a pocketful of crumpled tenners....
    ... or I could just sit on the fence, i suppose!
    a wombling we will go...
  • Marishka wrote: »
    Sorry, but this beats all the flashy sports cars, roses, bottles of perfume and over-use of aftershave in my book. That definitely wins my "coolest garage ever" prize! I'm sure the gf is convinced now she's seen the finished article...?

Now for the idiotic questions -
    I don't play video games so don't really know anything about games consoles - you can play films on them too????

As far as I can gather, the gist of the conversation so far seems to be that, probably, in a few months time, possibly, HD DVD will be dead in the water and everyone will switch to BR? (can't bring myself to mis-type BLUE) Presumably at this point everyone will throw away their HD DVD players....and discs??? Now, I don't know about the players but it strikes me that some judicious wombling and a few boot fairs should provide a big enough HD DVD library to keep those of us not desperate to be that up-to-date going for some while even if the newest things are only available on BR. I should think that the ensuing cheapness of HD DVD rejects would easily free up the money to spend on a few BR discs if essential and the, presumably cheaper-by-then, player.
    Now, of course there's always going to be a bit of crystal-ball gazing involved here (but that's life isn't it?) but, speaking as a lover of vinyl, I had 4000 records just before CDs took off and over 8000 just over a year later, almost all of which had been obtained from roadside rubbish dumps, the big skips at recycling yards and in bulk from boot fairs. To total actual outlay was about £50. And it's interesting to note that a lot of this stuff hasn't even been released on CD yet and we're already moving into the download age.
    AS for what I'm going to do, well I'm going to have a think for a few days and I'm seriously considering the Amazon offer, especially since I've just invested in a lovely new 32" flat screen (£433 down from £700 - thanks Martin!) but I'm sorely tempted to wait til the summer and browse the boot fairs with a pocketful of crumpled tenners....
    ... or I could just sit on the fence, i suppose!

To be honest I dont play any games these days .. to busy watching Movies ... oh and work...

I own 2 stand alone Blu Ray players but I made a mistake buying samsung ... most new features that come out with Blu ray are updated on the machines via a firmware update, which you can either download and burn on a disk or with my Smasung BD-P1200 connect via a lan to the internet...

However stand alones are more like a toaster or a kettle (no similarity fun making HD fanboys :P) where as if you look @ a PC when ever there is a new program etc, you can just update the pc's software to enable you to run it ... well thats very much like the Play Station 3 or PS3 ... the fact it plays games is a bonus ... my players bar the slow updates from samsung are OK for now ... there are a few pro's and cons ... my surround system is 7.1 and my Onkyo can put out @ 7.1 but I believe that the PS3 @ the mo can only put out Dolby digital 5.1 as it doesnt bitstream ... < techies correct me if I'm wrong Im still learning ...

If Blu ray end up being the one format for HD then there is nothing wrong with keeping one of these players it is a well put together and does what it says on the tin... one thing people keep saying as a plus point is that if HD do bow out then its ok because this will be able to take a SD (standard DVD) and upscale it ie stretch the resolution, this is ok if the movie is a good transfer and doesnt pixelate too much ... I bought Lost 1, 2 & 3 Std from the US but @ 1080P its is a little pixely .. but the thing about this player if your thinking well it doesnt matter about the format war I can use it for this ... there are plenty of SD players cheaper that do as good a job...

@ the end of the day ppl will buy what ever they're inclined to ... they will support different football teams even if they're not the best ...

I am biased but thats having owned and used the competition ... but its still only my opinion... HD & BD or very similar not a lot between them except codecs for sound and DIsk size ... and before any1 shouts 51mb HD ... Months ago Hitachi developed a 100gb BD disk that a SDBD player can play with a firmware update they even have developed a 800GB but because of the number of layers current generation machines cant play them ... But the Movie Companies and Manufactures for whatever the reason are now heading Blu Ray ...
  • I've been having a whale of a time on eBay etc since the Warner announcement. Seems that a few people are convinced their (extensive) HD DVD collections will spontaneously combust now that come summertime, they won't be able to buy new discs with a WB logo on. Expect to be picking up HD DVDs for £5 - £10, including groovy US releases like the two-disc MI:3 and Transformers.

And regarding the earlier Studio Canal post - there are some good German studios pumping out nothing but HD DVDs too. In fact, there's a blinding "Ultimate" edition of Terminator 2 out in March....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure