Portfolio advice

13»

Comments

• iglad
    iglad Posts: 222 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ixel wrote: »
    I used to hold both of these a while ago, but when I was simplifying my portfolio and transitioning from using funds to instead using ETFs (to significantly reduce platform charges on HL) I ditched them. There's been one or two news articles towards the end of 2019 I believe, but the future of an investment is always somewhat unknown. Past performance isn't a perfect indicator on future performance. They performed quite well when I did have them.

For simple curiosity I'm interested to know what other opinions are on both Fundsmith and Lindsell at the moment.

Fundsmith & LTG used to account for 60% of my portfolio however since the LTG dip ( past 6 months) I sold half my holding in it and now its only 45% for both funds. The LTG which I sold I put it into the L&G Global 100 Index and it has out performed LTG so far.

Fundsmith also had a 6 month dip and since Christmas it's been on a right tear so despite what others might think I'm keeping it.
  • iglad
    iglad Posts: 222 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 January 2020 at 2:23PM
    Hmm, good point but I guess past performance, the future etc? Guess I bought it years ago and haven't monitored so closely and just thought I can't expect all of my options to go up loads.
    It is your choice but I use past performance as a guide in attempting to picking my (funds) winners but more importantly to make sure I don't pick any poor performers. It's not an exact science but with a bit of under the hood research I've managed to not pick any real howlers.
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I asked because I hold both Fundsmith Equty and LT UK Eqy and Glob Eqy and have done for a couple of years.
    In fact I've added to them recently on their dips.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • I sold out of LTGE a week ago and at the time it was about 10% of my holdings.

Not simply because of a short run of poor performance but because I think it was a bit of a wake-up call that high conviction and currency and sector fluctuations can knock you off course quickly.

The money went into Bankers Investment Trust.

Fundsmith is also 10% and for the moment I'm keeping it as my perception is that the poor performance there was due to currency exposure.

And as said it seems to be on a tear so run your winners and right now it is one.
  • cfw1994
    cfw1994 Posts: 1,872 Forumite
    Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I guess i really just wanted to make sure there was nothing majorly out, which it sounds like there isn't. Other than maybe more European?

If the VLS is a simple way to cover everything I might just stick everything in that from now on. But bostonerimus said it was UK-biased? Is that true as overall I'm probably UK-heavy too? Maybe I'll just stick it all on Leicester to win the league again.

Living in the City of the Mighty Foxes, I’m afraid I wouldn’t do that. Liverpool this season, not sure you’ll find any decent odds!

Don’t forget Vanguard do offer their own low cost ISA too: 0.15% account fee.
    That’d be a simpler strategy: perhaps take a look at the videos on https://www.kroijer.com: I quite like his approach, but then, I’m a simple person :D
    Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    cfw1994 wrote: »
    Living in the City of the Mighty Foxes, I’m afraid I wouldn’t do that. Liverpool this season, not sure you’ll find any decent odds!

Don’t forget Vanguard do offer their own low cost ISA too: 0.15% account fee.
    That’d be a simpler strategy: perhaps take a look at the videos on www.kroijer.com: I quite like his approach, but then, I’m a simple person :D
    Low cost = low returns ???

If an ISA will give an extra 10% for a higher annual cost then I'm in.:cool:
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    slinga wrote: »

Generally with investment products "you get what you don't pay for". Which platform or fund manager is promising a 10% higher return for a higher fee? None of them because they know it doesn't work like that.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    slinga wrote: »

If an ISA will give an extra 10% for a higher annual cost then I'm in.:cool:
    An ISA is just a wrapper, any cost is just a drag, so the lower the cost the better. You do need the wrapper though, to avoid taxes.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family