Unfair default on my credit report

Hi there

I recently did a credit report on my finances for the first time. I was a little shocked to learn about a default that appeared on my files as from memory there was nothing I had defaulted on. When I looked at the detail, the default was a £15 debt from my old mobile phone company who I did not hear from about this debt - the first thing I heard was a letter from a debt collectors trying to recoup the £15 debt about 2 years after I loved on from them which I paid as soon as I heard about it. I was really cross this was the first I had heard about it, and now I'm even more cross it's on my credit report and is obviously having a negative effect. Obviously goes to show I did the right thing in leaving this mob phone company!

Is there anything I can do about this? It was a £15 debt I wasn't informed I owed! Should I raise a NOC on my credit file explaining? Get in touch with the debt collectors to explain and see if there's anything they can do? Get in touch with my ex mobile phone co explaining?

Or maybe there's nothing I can do about it but if you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Lolllly

Comments

• *2 years after I moved on from them not loved on!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Never do an NoC.

When is the default dated?

You could raise a complaint but it's unlikely to be successful if the debt is valid.
  • Westminster
    Westminster Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Savvy Shopper! Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 6 December 2019 at 8:27AM
    Unfortunately not an uncommon issue where direct debits get cancelled too early for the final bill to go through.

Chalk it down to experience.

I would suggest:

1. Sign up for the various free credit file services
    2. My ‘technique’ is to leave direct debits open for at least a couple of months beyond closing an account (and always notify the company concerned that you are closing rather than just killing the direct debit). It’s much easier and far less damaging to recover money that a company erroneously takes from an open direct debit than to deal with the flip side.
    3. Time is a wonderful healer on your credit file so make sure you avoid further defaults and the impact of this default will dwindle the older it gets. It will be removed 6 years from the default date.
    4. By all means try exhausting the complaints procedure of mobile company but as it’s technically a valid default then don’t hold out much hope.
  • Thank you so much zx81 and Westminster for your thoughts and comments. Much appreciated.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Lollllly wrote: »
    Thank you so much zx81 and Westminster for your thoughts and comments. Much appreciated.

I'd add that although you think you "did the right thing" by switching because of this default I'd be surprised if your current one doesn't do the same thing. I don't think I've seen a contract mobile provider that hasn't ended up with someone posting about this exact scenario over on the mobile phone boards at some point.

So if you decide to leave this provider definitely leave that DD open for a while.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    And the cause of the problem is almost always that the poster stopped the direct debit before the final bill was taken.
    OP does not indicate means of payment but as most mobile contracts are paid by dd I have a feeling that this was once again the cause.
  • I am currently struggling to remortgage due to an unknown default on my Vanquis credit card. I paid my card off in November 2016 but I have just found out that a default was put on my account in July 2017 and reported to Transunion. An amount of £4 was added and the account was defaulted straight away. I was not informed of the default and prior to July 2017, my account showed a balance of 0. Equifax and Experian both report this account to have a balance of 0 and that it is closed, so no default with them. As I have just discovered this, I have been unable to contact Vanquis. Has anyone got any advice please? This is really stressing me out!!
  • You need to contact Vanquis to understand what happened and if appropriate, raise a complaint.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Katiek16 wrote: »
    I am currently struggling to remortgage due to an unknown default on my Vanquis credit card. I paid my card off in November 2016 but I have just found out that a default was put on my account in July 2017 and reported to Transunion. An amount of £4 was added and the account was defaulted straight away. I was not informed of the default and prior to July 2017, my account showed a balance of 0. Equifax and Experian both report this account to have a balance of 0 and that it is closed, so no default with them. As I have just discovered this, I have been unable to contact Vanquis. Has anyone got any advice please? This is really stressing me out!!

Hi,

Thanks for your message.

Your question was answered in post #9# above.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • You need to contact Vanquis to understand what happened and if appropriate, raise a complaint.
    I would also leave them in no doubt that you will be complaining to the ombudsman if the Default is not removed
    My experience is the fee the ombudsman charges helps to concentrate the mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure