Orange 'Free' Broadband

I've been an Orange broadband user since the days of Wanadoo takeover.
Now, when I took out a phone contract a few years back I was given Home Broadband 'free for life' or so I thought. This was provided you kept the phone contract and it was a plan over £30.

Two years ago I left my contract and went Orange Pay as You Go as I was informed that as long as I kept my Orange phone and kept credit on it, the free Broadband would still continue.

Today, I get an email from Orange informing me that my 'Free for life' Broadband will cease from 17/10/12 as I no longer have a contract with them - even though I left my contract in October 2010.
To continue with this offer I have to take out an Orange phone plan again and also take a Home phone plan.

Where do I stand with this?:(

Comments

• bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Did you get the previous acceptance (two years ago) in writing? If yes, did this offer come with any terms attached - specifically that they reserve the right to change the acceptance criteria at any time?
  • bod1467 wrote: »
    Did you get the previous acceptance (two years ago) in writing? If yes, did this offer come with any terms attached - specifically that they reserve the right to change the acceptance criteria at any time?

Unfortunately I did not no. I just went with the advice that I was told at that time.

I think that means then I'm Up !!!!! Creak without a paddle then?:o
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Unfortunately I did not no. I just went with the advice that I was told at that time.

I think that means then I'm Up !!!!! Creak without a paddle then?:o

unfortunately so. I think in any case Orange wouldnt have been so stupid to offer the broadband uncontionally free for life. There would have been a get out clause somewhere like they can give you a months notice to start charging etc.

Just take it as a bonus you've had free BB for so long and move on. :beer:
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,124
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It's probably free to customers or something like that.
  • *Update*

I've just had a call from an Orange representative confirming that free broadband is ending as of 17/10/12.

I've decided to move to Plusnet instead now as well as moving my mobile to Giffgaff.

Orange have lost my 8 years of custom for good now. Shame, as I never had any real issues with the service. :)
  • I have had a nightmare ringing Orange today about the same email. Spent 1.5 hours and have got pretty much nowhere.

The only reason I carried on paying a £30 a month mobile contract with Orange was to keep my free broadband. Orange are saying it will cost me to end my mobile contract as my pmobile is a seperate matter. Im arguing that the only reason i took the contract was the for the free broaband.

Surely if they can no longer deliver what they promised i should be allowed to leave with no penalty?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    No, because the broadband was a 'free' offer which could be terminated . That does not void your mobile contract.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • sherby69 wrote: »
    I have had a nightmare ringing Orange today about the same email. Spent 1.5 hours and have got pretty much nowhere.

The only reason I carried on paying a £30 a month mobile contract with Orange was to keep my free broadband. Orange are saying it will cost me to end my mobile contract as my pmobile is a seperate matter. Im arguing that the only reason i took the contract was the for the free broaband.

Surely if they can no longer deliver what they promised i should be allowed to leave with no penalty?

It seems not, you won't be able to cancel the contract as it was just an offer.

What really annoyed me more than anything was telling customers that they 'have' to take out Orange Home phone to continue getting Home Broadband. :(
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    sherby69 wrote: »
    I have had a nightmare ringing Orange today about the same email. Spent 1.5 hours and have got pretty much nowhere.

Might be worth transferring this one over to the Consumer Rights board. I can't remember for sure, but I recall that any "free" offer that came with a contract forms part of the contract. If the free portion is removed (whilst the contract is still in force) then the terms of the contract have changed.

Think of it another way ... if you buy something and it comes with a free item (e.g. buy a TV and get a free bluray player) - if you return the TV (either for change of mind, or you get a refund because it is faulty) then you have to also return the "free" bluray player.
  • I'm in the same position - Orange took over my Wanadoo broadband account in 2006 and offered me free broadband if I took out an 18 mobile contract with them which I did and have continued to renew as the cost overall was cheaper with the free broadband despite their mobile contracts, coverage and service not being the best available.

My contract period ended in May but I stayed with them whilst researching iphone contracts and to stay with Orange, whilst not the cheapest contract, worked out about the same taking the free broadband into account and the hassle factor of moving both contracts. So, at the end of June I upgraded to a 2 year iphone contract (which was more expensive than my previous package and longer) but checked with Orange on two separate occasions before committing that I would still retain my free broadband and was told that I would so I proceeded on this basis which I would not have done if the free broadband was no longer part of the deal. If they are now removing the free broadband offer, I am definitely going to be paying more for the next 22 months. I rang them today and they kept saying I could keep the broadband provided I moved my line rental over to them but I can’t do this as I renewed an 18 month contract with BT recently so I’m stuck. I’ve been trying to find the terms of the original offer on the net but am not having much luck so apart from having the names and dates of conversations with their sales people who confirmed I would retain the free broadband, I’m in a weak position. I just don’t see how they can get away with enticing customers to renew a contract with them with a free offer that they then recind less than 10% of the way through the contract.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure