Flexible ISAs guide

Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the
Flexible ISAs guide.

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Very timely for me Rosie. I've been reading up on this and have an appointment with my Bank Manager at 3.

Thank you.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • Krash420
    Krash420 Posts: 151 Forumite
    Metro bank not on that list. They offer this facility and as soon as I've gotten my Save Together bonus from HSBC (ends in August/September), I'll be transferring my previous ISA into Metro, unless one of the other banks I bank with provides a better rate with the flexibility.
  • 10_66
    10_66 Posts: 3,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Principality also offers some flexible ISAs.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal-banking/savings/which-banks-wont-let-you-withdraw-isa-money-and-then-pay-it-back/

Source: Savings Champion

"Nationwide, Barclays and Virgin Money were among providers that said they would offer flexibility. The others are in this table below.

Yorkshire Bank Up to 1.75pc
    Skipton BS 1.4pc (for first 12 months)
    Coventry BS 1.4pc
    Virgin Money 1.31pc
    Aldermore 1.3pc
    Newcastle BS 1.3pc
    Principality BS 1.3pc
    Metro Bank 1.25pc
    Triodos Bank 1.25pc
    Nationwide BS 1.1pc
    TSB Bank 1pc (for first 12 months)
    Barclays Up to 0.8pc
    Lloyds Bank 0.65pc (for first 12 months)
    Halifax 0.6pc (for first 12 months)
    Bank of Scotland 0.6pc"
  • Shedman
    Shedman Posts: 1,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    xylophone wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal-banking/savings/which-banks-wont-let-you-withdraw-isa-money-and-then-pay-it-back/

Source: Savings Champion

"Nationwide, Barclays and Virgin Money were among providers that said they would offer flexibility. The others are in this table below.

Yorkshire Bank Up to 1.75pc
    Skipton BS 1.4pc (for first 12 months)
    Coventry BS 1.4pc
    Virgin Money 1.31pc
    Aldermore 1.3pc
    Newcastle BS 1.3pc
    Principality BS 1.3pc
    Metro Bank 1.25pc
    Triodos Bank 1.25pc
    Nationwide BS 1.1pc
    TSB Bank 1pc (for first 12 months)
    Barclays Up to 0.8pc
    Lloyds Bank 0.65pc (for first 12 months)
    Halifax 0.6pc (for first 12 months)
    Bank of Scotland 0.6pc"

That list is quoting the rate for the Virgin Defined Access ISA which I don't believe is a Flexible ISA - it is just the Easy Access Cash ISA at 1.11% that is the flexible one (well at least that's what they told me)
  • I was planning to transfer funds from a cash ISA I hold with Nationwide to a non ISA savings account and received the following message as I tried to do so:

As of the 6th April 2016: Any funds that are withdrawn from an ISA and paid into a non-ISA product may no longer be considered to be tax-free savings. You should not withdraw funds you wish to transfer to another ISA; instead, you'll need to contact the new provider who'll arrange the transfer for you. This includes transfers to other Nationwide cash ISA products.

I am not planning an ISA transfer but simply to withdraw funds which I thought I could do as long as I repaid within the same tax year? Does anyone know if this is correct?
  • 10_66
    10_66 Posts: 3,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 June 2016 at 3:45PM
    ...I am not planning an ISA transfer but simply to withdraw funds which I thought I could do as long as I repaid within the same tax year? Does anyone know if this is correct?

It will depend on whether or not the ISA from which you want to withdraw is a flexible ISA, not all of them are. Check with Nationwide to see if it is. I think there's a list in one of the MSE articles that shows some of the flexible ISA providers, but ISA providers may not offer flexible status on all of their products.

Edit: Here's the link to the article I mentioned above and according to that all of Nationwide's cash ISA's are flexible.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/flexible-ISAs#providers

• Thanks - yes it is flexible
  • andyt8
    andyt8 Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The "same tax year" condition means its ideal for planned transfers out of the ISA elsewhere for nearly 12mths as explained in this article BUT a bit different if you wanted to use some of your cash early in the year as it has to go back by 5th April. So you could borrow some of your ISA in June and pay it back in month by month from your salary - but not if you needed to do this in March.
  • webwiz
    webwiz Posts: 215 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Suppose I have a previous years cash ISA with company A. I open a new ISA with company B and transfer in some cash from A, but do not subscribe any of this year's allowance. I then open a new ISA with company C to take this year's allowance. If B is flexible can I withdraw cash from B and replace it before the end of the year?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback