10 year stretch

Comments

• tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Thanks guys for the warm welcome.
    I've been reading this board for quite a while and seemed the right place to land my mutterings it doesn't really feel that the MFW is the right place for me as I want the full FIRE package mortgage free, savings and retirement TBH I feel very much a DFW with the mortgage. but feel free to shift me on to a more appropriate board.
    Im just wittering between paydays to keep me moving forward, suppose its a bit like chanting a mantra FIRE IT UP I WILL DO THIS :)
  • tori.k
    Hi tori.k :wave: welcome to the thread. As others have said it is quiet on here at times so if you decide to move we will understand but its lovely to see you.

Your soa looks very good, your car insurance is very low and your food budget for 4 adults is amazing, but as you have said buying in bulk must help. Good luck with your savings and overpaying the mortgage.

Thanks Skint
    Car insurance is low because im old and its only a little smart car so road tax is £30 a year, groceries its mostly just the two of us I hardly feed the lads one is a boomerang and since he's been home weatherspoons feed them as often as I do :D
  • Glad you are meal planning that is what I must learn to do this year. right I have to shut up and mark. It's soooooo boring.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • tori.k
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Starting as I mean to go on I cleared the credit card early, it is already paid in full each month but didn't want to be carrying any balances forward into 2019 other than the mortgage.
    making the most of this month with clearing the fridge and freezers so should have a good month grocery wize with a lot of frozen veg to use up, Both DH &I are vegetarians which helps massively with costs but will be simple fare on offer over the month.
    Doesn't look like DH made little in the way of bonus this month, which is not unexpected in December he should get his new car the second week of January .The cost of this will be £182.50 a month better than I thought it would be, over the year his monthly bonus will cover the cost of this, so should have little impact on my overall budget.
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Happy New Year, well done on paying the card off early.

I am really curious what gardening stuff are you having done? I am getting into gardening and am waiting for my spring bulbs to come up!!!!
  • tori.k
    HI Daisy :wave:
    Savingwannabe we have bigjobs going on here :D we are on quite a gradient and needed to add another parking space to the frontage but being me I didn't want the traditional terrace as we are north facing and it would have impacted on the natural light. So had to do a bit of clever structural engineering so have a blank canvas at the front of the house as a gardener by trade I do have big plans but have to curb myself for sake of the budget, but can grow and salvage a lot of plants as working in a local garden centre nursery pays the bills.
    Im halfway through reading your diary im in awe I hope I can keep the motivation as well as you do.
    Better get myself off to work
  • savingwannabe
    Hallo sweetie, your plans sound fab. OMG you work in a garden :money::money::money:centre???? I would love that. All those plants. Mind you, I'd be broke!:rotfl:

My diary is rubbish Ill save you time! Nothing exciting happens. Financially I have learnt so much though. I now save £250 and overpay my mortgage by that amount too. I live off £200 for food and fun a month. That's it really.
  • Haha SW I knew your eyes would light up at the mention of a garden centre :rotfl:
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • tori.k
    My full-time job is in the nursery of small local garden centre, its not good money but enough and regular 9-5 hours. which is a rarity in retail jobs so I can't complain :)
  • savingwannabe
    What a wonderful job. You will have so many ideas for your garden and can buy everything on discount!:j

The seagulls are going mad in the garden next door. :eek::eek:

It is v cold today here how is it by you?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport