Perfume for a lady in her 60's - any suggestions?

It's for my mum. She's asked for perfume for Christmas but no specific one. She just says to get her something 'nice' which isn't much help :)

I know she used to wear Red Door but I'd like to get her something different now. I know this is a money saving site but I can't give her something obviously cheap.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• MCGONIS
    MCGONIS Posts: 699 Forumite
    Hi. My mum is in her 60's. I got her SUNFLOWERS by Lizzy Arden (red door) when it first came out and she still loves it. The same brand also does GREEN TEA which is also very nice for someone in their 60's.

Hope that helps
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,555
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Nothing beats Chanel no.5, although Poison, White Linen, and Paris have their moments.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• jrtfan
    jrtfan Posts: 1,135
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Another classic, although a bit harder to find now, is Givenchy's L'Interdit (the one with the red label and dark-gold liquid).
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,578
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    I think perfume is a unique gift.

What smells nice on one person won't smell the same on someone else.

My friend wore a perfume that smelled lovely on her.
    I tried it on at the airport, planning to buy it for me.
    After 5 minutes, the smell was making me feel physically nauseous so I had to wash it off.

I wouldn't buy expensive perfume because of the name or on recommendation.
    I think a non-surprise of a perfume she's actually tried herself and liked would be a much safer bet.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,705
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    jrtfan wrote: »
    Another classic, although a bit harder to find now, is Givenchy's L'Interdit (the one with the red label and dark-gold liquid).

Much as I love Givenchy fragrances they don't 'last' on me at all, so I would never buy one of them or ask anyone to buy one for me.

Perfume buying "blind" is a minefield.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • My son bought me some perfume in Geneva airport called Silver Rain, not cheap unfortunately but everyone new asks me what it is and I love it, my now favourite. He said the girl laid out a few and sprayed them and he thought it was the nicest and when told the price nearly caved but said he couldn't not get it as it smelled so good. I don't know about the shops, but it can be purchased on Amazon and the 6ml Eau de Parfum spray is reasonable, much cheaper than Geneva! I also like Angel by Thierry Mugler and I am older than 60.

Just suggestions but maybe smell a few at the counter.

All the suggestions made so far are good ones. :)
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety". - Benjamin Franklin
  • I would smell a few at the counter. But my lovely Mum who's turning 60 next year is a huge fan of Clinique- Happy and Estee Lauder- White Linen!
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Boots (I expect other retailers too) sell a set of various perfumes. If you went for that she will hopefully like most of the set, possibly love something which will give you birthday ideas.

My mum loves Lancôme but as others have said t is very personal.
  • I'm in that age group and my favourites are Amarige, Chloe and a real cheapie Vanderbilt. Semichem have good prices on fragrances at the moment.
    When dancing with dragons, don't let your partner lead.
  • Estee Lauder Youth Dew is a classic fragrance that has a scent that seems to suit almost everybody - check out the reviews:

http://www.boots.com/en/Estee-Lauder-Youth-Dew-Eau-de-Parfum-Spray-28ml_4783/

£24 at Boots.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport