The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Helping with the swtich

Cpu2007
Cpu2007 Posts: 723
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
Hi Everyone
I have registered to the energy club and after filling up the site with information on gas and electricity usage, I was given a few options

I'm looking to switch to Orbit energy, as this is the first time I'm switching, I'm unsure how this works.

Went on the Orbit Energy website, selected the deal and now is asking for credit/debit card details.

The question I have, will the previous supplier contract automatically end or do I have to call them to end it?

If I'm paying by direct debit and the month isn't over, will I be getting any refund back from the supplier ?

Previous supplier is isupply for electricity and daligas
On daligas it states no exit fees apply
isupply is variable
Thank you

Comments

• Yes old contract will end.
    Yes you’ll be refunded any overpayments.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,890
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 15 July 2019 at 9:49PM
    You don't have to contact your old supplier: the new supplier will take care of that. You will have a 14 day cooling off period and will switch about a week after that. Your new supplier will ask you to supply meter readings and these will be passed to the old supplier. Make a note of these readings for future reference. Your old supplier will take a direct debit or provide a refund, but it can take around six weeks so you'll have to be patient.

Note that it's not like a rental agreement, the final bill will depend on your usage, so you may end up owing them a DD payment or they may owe you a refund.

Always think in terms of kilowatt hours not direct debit amounts, and then you can do the sums to make sure your final bill is correct. The bill will show the formula you have to use to convert the gas reading (cubic feet or cubic metres) to kWh.

Note that Orbit will take a DD the moment your switch goes live, plus another one a month later, so you may have made two DDs payments to Orbit before you get any refund from your old supplier. There may be a DD from the old supplier instead of a refund, so check the final bill correctly and make sure you don't go overdrawn !
  • Cpu2007
    Cpu2007 Posts: 723
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thank you guys, will look into this, yes I am trying to do it in kilowatt to get better accuracy

I'll read more on how tariffs are calculated so I understand how this works.

Thanks
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,890
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 15 July 2019 at 10:06PM
    Make sure you always send meter readings on time otherwise they will use estimated readings which make things harder to understand. Doing the sums is quite easy, just subtract the last month's electricity reading from the current one, multiply by the price per kWh. Same again if you have Economy 7. Then add the electricity standing charge for the relevant number of days.

Then do the same for the gas usage (having converted to kWh) and add the gas standing charge. Add everything up and make sure all the rates include the 5% VAT.

Of course, the result probably won't be the same as your DD because your usage will be lower than average in the summer, so your account will build up a bit of credit.

As it's a variable tariff, don't forget to update your details with the MSE Cheap Energy Club in case the rates start rising and are no longer competitive !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure