Get a grip !

Comments

• Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,564 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Am glad it's Friday :j

Too hot to walk puppy dog she's been in her paddling pool and chasing her ball round the house. I will walk her later when it's cooler.

2 packs Pepsi max £4 & birthday card for nieces son (great nephew but makes me feel old being a great Aunty :rotfl: ) 59p in newsagents. I had a stamp in my purse from my stash bought with birthday savings.

DS & his gf are both at work for the evening so it's me and the dog tonight. Am relaxing with my feet up waiting for the sun to go down
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Puppy is lucky to have a pool that sounds lovely. It is gorgeous here.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Skint_yet_Again
    edited 13 July 2019 at 10:35AM
    Yesterday I saved £2.99 by taking back faulty dishwasher tablets which were all crumbly. I also avoided a takeaway £8.50 delivered and instead had hot & spicy chicken wings £1.79 from aldi.

I walked puppy dog last night at 7.30pm when it had cooled down. This morning was sunny with a nice cool breeze when we walked on the common at 8.30am. It's covered in wild flowers and lots of wildlife. Today I saw a bright blue dragonfly and a sparrow hawk hovering.

Plans for the weekend

Meet up with friend
    Cut grass
    Hoover dog carpet & kitchen tiled floor
    More decluttering

I've already scrubbed the patio with zoflora bought in b&m cheap at £3.49 for 500ml.

All food must be from stores - NO takeaways
    Today breakfast toasted muffin & scrambled egg.
    Lunch - tuna salad
    Dinner - peri peri chicken, roasted veg & halloumi wrap
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    Well done on no takeaways they are so tempting. I hope you had a great walk and a nice meet up with your friend.
  • ... nieces son (great nephew but makes me feel old being a great Aunty :rotfl: ) ...

I still have vivid memories of being about 7 (I was that know-it-all kid!) and telling my auntie that if she was my dad's auntie, then that actually made her my great-auntie. She was NOT amused :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Especially as she was actually more active and involved with us (getting down to play on the ground, running round the park with us, playing football) than my not-great-auntie was!

Very impressive on resisting the takeaways! This was my first full week back at work after my operation (I was back last Thursday) and by Wednesday evening I was wiped out so we ended up having take away as I could barely make it off the sofa, let alone do any cooking!
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • Skint_yet_Again
    edited 14 July 2019 at 10:05PM
    Hope you are feeling better Pink !

I had a bad day yesterday, after walking the dog in the morning I came down with ear imbalance so I was feeling drunk all day :( I spent the rest of the day laid on the sofa, so not much achieved. DS walked the dog in the evening.

Today I feel much better. I walked the dog this morning and felt ok so I went to meet my friend for lunch. I had Panini and chips & drink for £4.59 at wertherspoons. Then we went for a walk and later had a drink and ice cream £5. :p Managed to stay under my target of £10 :beer:

Decluttering week 28 week ending 14 July - 15 books into car to drop off at the BHF book bank tomorrow.

Just to add - have switched my gas and electric tonight. I am with EONv21 and they are on the Cheap Energy club for a lower tariff V22 which is cheaper than V21. I wasn't due to switch, but I have switched via their own website with no exit fees. There is no cashback via cheap energy club, so I switched direct. The fix is for 12 months so at least my gas & electric will be fixed over the winter on a cheaper tariff. If the same company offer another cheaper tariff before the winter I will switch again with them, there is no exit fees if you stay with them but change to another of their tariffs within the 12 months fix.

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    I am so sorry about the ear infection. I hope it goes v soon. Well done on swapping your gas supplier. Really well done on decluttering. All is well here.
  • Thanks Skinty, I'm mostly back to normal. Still avoiding anything too strenuous, including heavy lifting and twisting/stretching but I'm no longer feeling it by the end of the day which is an improvement! I'm so glad you're feeling better, the seasickness/drunken feeling of ear infections is just the worst!!

That's amazing on the book front. I think I need to try tackling ours again soon. I did them about 3 years ago and got rid of most of mine but my husband absolutely refused to get rid of any of his (eventually he compromised and agreed I could get rid of any duplicates :eek:). I wouldn't mind if he actually read them more than once, but he doesn't! It's going on my ToDo list!!

Were you on a fixed contract with Eon previously? I'm also with them and my fix is up in October, but if I can switch early to another contract without a penalty fee then I shall investigate it!
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • Skint_yet_Again
    edited 18 July 2019 at 8:04PM
    Hi Pink glad to hear you are feeling better. Yes I just changed from one fix to another with eon mine wasn't due until November but I decided to switch now, as long as you stay with them there is no exit fee.

Took the dog to the sea for her to have a swim yesterday. Its been much cooler today and DS and gf have taken her to the woods.

Shopping today £31.87 for the rest of week 3 & week 4

breakfast - cereal or eggs/omelette,
    lunch - ham, tuna or cheese roll & crisps
    snacks - banana, yoghurt, tinned pineapple & cubes of cheese with/without crackers.
    ice cream :o

dinners -

pulled pork, chips, broccoli carrots & gravy (tonight)
    2 x chicken kiev & chips & tinned sweetcorn
    chicken curry
    fajitas - chicken, courgettes, peppers, wraps
    fish pie & veg
    2 x 1/2 pizza & chips
    peri peri chicken wraps & salad
    chicken tray bake with roasted veg (courgettes peppers onions) & roasted new potatoes
    chicken & salad with new potato salad

= 11 meals

That should last to at least sun 28th July apart from more bananas, yoghurts and milk. Then there will be just 2 more days till payday which I am hoping to use up anything left over.

Tomorrow I am going to return a curtain rod to the range after work for a refund. Only £3.99, but the money is better in my pocket as the item is not suitable. Am hoping to meet up with a friend and maybe go for carvery but I am waiting to hear back from her as she is at work tonight. On the way home I will also drop off more books at BHF book bank.

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    I hope your ear is better. This food planning is v impressive I bet you are saving lots. I hope you can see your friend at the weekend and that you have a decent rest. :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure