Hard of Hearing

My uncle is severely deaf.

His hearing aid is not any good anymore -I don't exactly know why but they have investigated it and he does not use it anymore.

He can use headphones to listen to radio and talking books with no problem.

But talking to him we have to shout.

Both he and I cannot understand why there are no headphones with a room microphone to hear what's going on and being said in the room.

I can't find one.

Does anyone know where I can get something that fits this description?

Comments

• splishsplash
    splishsplash Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Use a microphone app on a mobile phone and that will work with headphones through the headphone jack.
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I would ask for a referal back to the audiology dept, and have a retest, I suggest you go with him.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Safetyone
    Safetyone Posts: 61 Forumite
    If the aids are not good then make an appointment at your local audiology clinic to see it they can upgrade the aid if required
    Also your local social services may help in the provision of a room loop system which when used with the t switch on the aid will greatly improve quality of life
    Most modern loop systems have the facility to plug in a microphone which again will make communication a lot better
    There are a great deal of items out there to make the life of the HOH person a lot better
  • Wig wrote: »
    My uncle is severely deaf.

His hearing aid is not any good anymore -I don't exactly know why but they have investigated it and he does not use it anymore.

He can use headphones to listen to radio and talking books with no problem.

But talking to him we have to shout.

Both he and I cannot understand why there are no headphones with a room microphone to hear what's going on and being said in the room.

I can't find one.

Does anyone know where I can get something that fits this description?

Sounds like he is long due a reassessment, which he is entitled to. They can provide a newer and better hearing aid or refer him for a cochlear implant assessment if he reaches the criteria.

I'm severe/profoundly deaf and have had to switch to a more powerful hearing aid - they are available on the NHS.

I would suggest you get a GP referral or self refer to Audiology for an urgent assessment - they can help you with options. Hearing Therapy or a local Hearing and Sight Centre are also useful contacts for advice/support!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure