Water Meter - What if there is a leak?

2»

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    In the five months since we've been on a water meter, we have been extremely carefull/cautious not to waste any. Quite simply because we had no idea what to expect in the way of a bill.

I have a medical condition that at times can and does require I may have to bathe more frequently than usual. (No, I'm not incontinent but I wear a urostomy pouch and that can and does cause problems), so any savings that can be made throughout the day/night, compensates for extra bathing.

Ages ago, someone mentioned to us that they had applied to the local water company for compensation due to the loss of water due to a central heating/boiler drain and that the water company will do just that. Hence my enquiry to Anglian Water. It was THEY who asked me to time the drainage, it was THEY who said it is about £2 an hour. However it is "I" who probably won't bother.

I hope that helps to clarify the point I made. Islandman
  • IslandMan,

I can only assume that the person you asked at the water company doesn’t know what they were talking about as it makes no sense to time the drainage of a central heating system to work out the water used.

A cubic yard of water costs about 80p(plus you pay for sewerage). If my memory serves me right a cubic yard is about 170 gallons of water. £2 an hour equates to some 420 gallons an hour – 7 gallons a minute.

The quantity of water in central heating radiators is very small - a few gallons in a house at most - and a boiler, say, 40 gallons. If compensation is to be paid than it surely should be purely on the amount of water the system holds.

The speed at which you can drain central heating system varies but it is normally pretty slow as it uses small pipes and you can make it as slow as you like by restricting the air getting into the system.

If they are prepared to stick to their £2 an hour pledge, I suggest you get the draining to last all day!!
    Robert
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thankyou for your informed responses.

There are two issues here and I'm unsure which to do.

1) phone Anglian Water again, simply to see what another advisor advises or
    2) forget the whole issue of compensation.

My initial response is to persue this a little further, just to clarify the position. islandman
  • Thankyou for your informed responses.

There are two issues here and I'm unsure which to do.

1) phone Anglian Water again, simply to see what another advisor advises or
    2) forget the whole issue of compensation.

My initial response is to persue this a little further, just to clarify the position. islandman

Someone once said:
    “The problem with phoning is a verbal promise is not worth the paper it is written on!!”

They will probably say you misunderstood.

I would send an email or letter stating what you have been told and asking for confirmation/clarification. They cannot deny they received an email.

But compensation is likely to be pennies – is it worth the hassle?
    Robert
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport