Pension contribution question on Tax Return

I am contributing a small amount by monthly direct debit from bank account to my workplace pension. Started this contribution while switching job,when no contribution made by employer.My current employer also contributing.

On the income tax return form , I find the following questions.

(Q1)

Did you make contributions towards a personal pension or retirement annuity? This does not include payments you make to your employer's pension scheme, which are deducted from your pay:

YES

Personal pensions and retirement annuities

(Q2)

Payments to registered pension schemes (Also known as PPR) where basic rate tax relief will be claimed by your pension provider (called Relief at source). Enter the payments and basic rate tax:£

(Q3)

Payments to registered pension schemes (Also known as PPR) where basic rate tax relief will be claimed by your pension provider (called Relief at source). Enter the payments and basic rate tax:£

(Q4)
Payments to your employer's scheme which were not deducted from your pay before tax:£

(Q5)

Payments to an overseas pension scheme which is not UK-registered which are eligible for tax relief and were not deducted from your pay before tax:£

Which question is applicable in my situation ?

Comments

• mailsmsi
    mailsmsi Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Any advice please .
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    This is a very weird way of doing things. So you don't see anything on payslip about this pension? Just the DD? Does the pension provider claim tax relief? I don't think those pasted Qus are right - 2 and 3 are identical.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 May 2018 at 10:58AM
    Personal DDs are personal contributions made direct to the pension provider, so wouldn't appear on a payslip. Sensible thing to do while 'between jobs'.

Q1: answer is yes
    Q2: answer is the amount you actually paid + basic rate tax e.g. if you actually paid £80 by DD, enter £100 (£80 you paid + £20 tax relief claimed on your behalf by the provider and added to your 'pot' with them). I've assumed you are in England/Wales
    Q4: applies if you had any pension contributions deducted from net (i.e. post-tax) pay by an employer during the tax year in question
  • bearshare
    bearshare Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You are paying contributions from post-tax (net) income, so
    "(Q4)
    Payments to your employer's scheme which were not deducted from your pay before tax:£"

Would be the one. You should get basic rate tax refunded, presumably into the employers scheme.

Odd way of doing it though...
  • zagfles
    bearshare wrote: »
    You are paying contributions from post-tax (net) income, so
    "(Q4)
    Payments to your employer's scheme which were not deducted from your pay before tax:£"

Would be the one. You should get basic rate tax refunded, presumably into the employers scheme.

Odd way of doing it though...
    That would only apply if it's not a RAS scheme, as it states in the SA100 notes.
  • zagfles
    edited 26 May 2018 at 11:17AM
    Dox wrote: »
    Q4: applies if you had any pension contributions deducted from net (i.e. post-tax) pay by an employer during the tax year in question
    Not if it's to a RAS scheme, eg a GPP (group personal pension). This question is for exceptional direct payments (ie not via payslip) to a "net pay" type scheme where no tax relief is added by the scheme.

If the employer's usual way of doing contributions is deducting from after tax pay, it'll almost certainly be to a RAS scheme. So this would not be the correct box to use.
  • mailsmsi
    Thank you all. I get some idea how to fill the tax return form
    from all of your reply.

Additional information :

This is NEST workplace pension.
    And my income tax band is 20% basic rate and live England.

According to my employer
    The amount that employee contributed is shown as a reduction from gross pay so that employee and employer will pay less NIC.

So I think my employment contribution is
    Gross tax basis (deducting contributions before tax)
    https://thepeoplespension.co.uk/help/knowledgebase/are-the-contributions-paid-net-or-gross/

Any other suggestion will be highly appreciated.
  • zagfles
    mailsmsi wrote: »
    Thank you all. I get some idea how to fill the tax return form
    from all of your reply.

Additional information :

This is NEST workplace pension.
    And my income tax band is 20% basic rate and live England.

According to my employer
    The amount that employee contributed is shown as a reduction from gross pay so that employee and employer will pay less NIC.
    So I think my employment contribution is
    Gross tax basis (deducting contributions before tax)
    https://thepeoplespension.co.uk/help/knowledgebase/are-the-contributions-paid-net-or-gross/

Any other suggestion will be highly appreciated.
    The highlighted bit implies it's salary sacrifice. That's the only way that NICs will be reduced through pension conts.

So how come you're paying by DD from your bank account? If it's being taken from your pay?
  • mailsmsi
    edited 30 May 2018 at 10:03PM
    Thanks zagfles .

1) Employers pension is the Salary Sacrifice in Nest Pension.

2)I also make personally separate contribution to Nest Pension by
    monthly direct debit.

With the above information , is my answer for the tax return question will be changed?
  • zagfles
    mailsmsi wrote: »
    Thanks zagfles .

1) Employers pension is the Salary Sacrifice in Nest Pension.

2)I also make personally separate contribution to Nest Pension by
    monthly direct debit.

With the above information , is my answer for the tax return question has changed?
    Do they go into the same account? Or are they accounted for separately?

The important question is does NEST claim tax relief on the monthly DD payments? How do these show up on the account? Can you see tax relief added to those payments? Maybe a month or 2 later?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback