Wife doesn't love me anymore

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    cannyscot wrote: »
    In the early years with small children, work pressure it can seem a bit miserable -I am sure I told my hubby at a bad time I didn't love him. Now married 26 years and as happy as Larry.

Book a cheap hotel but get romantic -cava, roses, some snacks , spend time talking , make it a night about your wife!

All relationships are retrievable -it just takes a bit of work!

The wife has said she has no romantic feelings for her husband. A romantic night in a hotel is going to come across that he's not listened to a word she has said, and that he's trying to force something that's simply not there. Awful idea.

Scorpio, I know a few couples that are just friends, they don't have a romantic/ sexual relationship but they don't see anyone else either. It wouldn't work for everyone, it wouldn't be for me, but it can work if it's what both of you want. It would be very difficult if one has more feelings than the other though, so probably not for you at present.
  • Not apportioning blame here at all - but take into consideration that, in the last year, she has had to deal with

You being 'difficult to live with' (how? drinking? temper outbursts? self harming? staying in bed all week? Being up half the night and sleeping all day?)
    Becoming the sole wage earner as you packed the job in
    Parenting a three year old and a one year old baby with what is likely (not guaranteed) to have been minimal support
    Possibly parenting a terribly distressed partner
    Worrying about whether her partner would be alive when she walked in the door
    Waking up at night if you were up and not being able to sleep, just in case that was going to be The Night
    If you were doing all the childcare in that time, a worry at the back of her mind that something Awful could have happened whilst she was at work to you/them (it's in the paper often enough)
    If not, paying for childcare when you're at home but too ill to do it
    Not being able to get as much support as somebody with those home circumstances would get if her partner were well
    Not being able to make love thanks to depression medication, not having a drive, not actually being able to perform
    Not being able to have much of a conversation - a one sided conversation isn't very rewarding, especially if it's with somebody who has stayed in bed, watched TV, then gone back to bed again.
    Not being able to properly talk - how do you talk about the impact of having to do it all with somebody who could wander off to the kitchen and cut themselves in response/drive off/disappear/withdraw upstairs for the next week?

There's always loads of advice on how to support a depressed partner, but next to nothing about what it's actually like for the partner who isn't depressed, especially when there are financial consequences to deal with as well.

She may have had her feelings squashed by the sheer enormity of coping with the last year.

I can't promise everything can be fixed, but give her a chance to tell you just how bad it has been for her - even though it will be painful to hear, don't run, don't hide, don't withdraw or give any indication that she isn't allowed to have those feelings. If she says you've been closed off and not hugged her or shown any sign of caring about her, ask her if she needs more hugs, if you've been clingy and she actually needs time not having to deal with contact, ask her what would help to make her feel less smothered. Maybe she just needs to be able to say it - that it's the person you became when ill that she doesn't enjoy being with - and she can't remember what she used to feel like. Maybe she can't carry on being married - would it feel much different to her?

Being depressed is awful. But it's also awful for partners who have to watch it happen and take on all the responsibility, no matter how much they love the person. The reason why In Sickness and in Health is included in traditional vows is precisely because it's always been so hard for the non ill partner to cope - and anybody who can't admit secretly that caring for somebody who has severe depression is bloody horrendous is either a saint in hiding or a liar.

It might be that staying somewhere else helps - nothing has changed if you stay there. Maybe making that effort will be enough to start things improving. If not, it helps make being apart real - and she can decide whether she does actually want the marriage to end.

Probably worth going back to the GP as you will be under quite a lot of stress now - make sure that you don't relapse, as it really won't help things right now. (not that it can necessarily be controlled, but you know in advance it's a possibility, so can't be caught unawares by a deterioration).

I hope all works out for all of you. But I don't think there is necessarily a guilty party in all this.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Scorpio33
    Scorpio33 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 April 2017 at 8:57AM
    Well I spoke to me wife last night.

I asked if we could talk and the response I got was very angry and she said that "I thought we sorted this out Saturday night" and "This is why I don't bring anything up with you as you make such a big deal over everything". She also said that I was a drama queen. I was a bit taken aback, as I thought that talking helps, but she really didn't want to talk. I explained to her that I need to talk even to get my head straight, as I got the impression we were headed for divorce.

So we did talk.

She told me that yes she hasn't been happy for a while and what she said was when she was drunk and much of it was exaggerated. She also said that if she told me she didn't Love me since before we were married, she didn't mean it as she would never had married me if that were true. It was just all the issues we have had since then (IVF, new babies, redundancies, stressful jobs etc), that has made her not love me. She sounded fed up with all the issues and seemed to think that I simply added to the stress and didn't provide any happiness to her.

We said we would work on it. We need to enjoy each others company more, we need to have more time together as a couple and we need to simply have more fun. With two young kids that is extremely difficult.

I did say to her that I thought we had a fantastic time on the weekend, only for us to have that talk, and I don't know where it came from, as I thought we were having fun again. She couldn't answer why that was.

So we have agreed to work on it, but I still have two doubts.

1. I think that she doesn't think she can ever Love me romantically again and I think it is only a matter of time before someone else comes along that gives her that passion she deserves (if she hasn't found anyone else already). Similarly, I think she is only with me as she is scared of having a divorce (she comes from a broken family) and she would rather stay with me as a friend than being alone.
    2. I go the impression that she thought it was all my fault and that I was the one that needed to make changes, where as I think that no one is blameless in any issues and the we both need to make an effort. I can only hope that she is prepared to make as much as an effort as I am in getting our relationship back on track She said she would do this, but actions speak louder than words.

So that is where we are.

I am going to concentrate on giving her space and focus on making myself happier outside the relationship more. Hopefully she will then be able to see me as a happy, attractive person again.

I also am going to initiate more quality time alone together whenever we can. It is difficult with 2 young kids and limited funds, so if anyone has any suggestions as to how to achieve this, please let me know.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Scorpio33 wrote: »

She told me that yes she hasn't been happy for a while and what she said was when she was drunk and much of it was exaggerated. She also said that if she told me she didn't Love me since before we were married, she didn't mean it as she would never had married me if that were true.
    That's good to hear - that she was exaggerating out of anger and drink
    So we have agreed to work on it, but I still have two doubts.

1. I think that she doesn't think she can ever Love me romantically again and I think it is only a matter of time before someone else comes along that gives her that passion she deserves (if she hasn't found anyone else already). Similarly, I think she is only with me as she is scared of having a divorce (she comes from a broken family) and she would rather stay with me as a friend than being alone.
    This last sentence is sadly true in many cases.
    I can only hope that she is prepared to make as much as an effort as I am in getting our relationship back on track She said she would do this, but actions speak louder than words.
    Good Luck! I hope you can make it work for both/all of you.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • cannyscot_2
    cannyscot_2 Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi

You need to love unreservedly to be loved. You need to risk being well and truly hurt! You have 2 small children. Let them see Dad being unreservedly loving to their Mum. making her the most important thing. no great love comes from waiting for the other person to show they appreciate it nor holding back.

Don't let money be an excuse . Roses cost £2 at aldi/ travelodge £29.

Tidy your bedroom up put nice clean sheets on the bed make dinner/do the dishes!! -it is all the little things that count! You need to fill the bank of little deposits to get the big interest.

Good Luck -dive in don't hold back
  • Billy101
    Billy101 Posts: 48 Forumite
    edited 25 April 2017 at 11:10AM
    No offence but your wife is a way too messed up a case. She is against counselling coz she knows she's at fault. Women. You'll get these sort of women if you're one unlucky guy. If she doesn't love you what's the point of staying together and giving your kids a false family life? One day, they'll know and blame you.

Be a strong man and leave here.
  • Billy101
    Billy101 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Choices are hard to make sometimes and trust me man, only these type of choices are the correct ones. I am telling you all this from my very own experience.
  • Scorpio33 wrote: »
    I did say to her that I thought we had a fantastic time on the weekend, only for us to have that talk, and I don't know where it came from, as I thought we were having fun again. She couldn't answer why that was.

I might be able to answer this one for you.

Many moons ago I had a work colleague who'd gotten a divorce. He told me that his wife and he had plodded along for many years, then his employer treated everyone in the office to a hotel getaway. He and the missus had a wonderful time, and this is what precipitated the divorce. Why? Because that lovely, romantic weekend brought it slamming home to her how plodding and humdrum their relationship was the rest of the time. Neither of them had been putting any effort into the relationship and it was a wake up call to her.

Sounds like that brief evening of fun you and your wife had made her realize how little fun she's been having for a long time. My two cents.
    "The problem with Internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
  • Billy101 wrote: »
    No offence but your wife is a way too messed up a case. She is against counselling coz she knows she's at fault. Women. You'll get these sort of women if you're one unlucky guy. If she doesn't love you what's the point of staying together and giving your kids a false family life? One day, they'll know and blame you.

Be a strong man and leave here.

Now is not the time to leave. Now is the time to invest in the relationship with hope and ambition.

But yes, knowing that leaving is absolutely an option if that investment and love is not appreciated or not reciprocated.

Leaving without trying will inevitably be regretted. Leaving after trying is empowering.

OP: Go to counselling for yourself. Tell her you're going. Tell her she's welcome to join you at any stage. But don't push it.
  • Scorpio33
    Scorpio33 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I defo think now is not the time to leave and is the time to invest more into the relationship.

I need to think about what I want, and what that is to make sure I do anything in my power to make this a happy relationship for me, my wife and my kids.

I like the suggestion that the brief fun we had made my wife realise how humdrum the relationship was the rest of the time and is a wake up call to both of us not putting in the effort.

I know it is not an excuse, but life is about priorities. With a stressful job, kids and whatever else life throws at us, our relationship has taken a back seat and we defo need to invest more time on each other.

Taking her to a hotel will only make her think I am after s*x and I don't think that's the way to go.

The only thing I can think of is more date nights (out or in), where we have a nice meal and maybe enjoy each others company more.

Keep the feedback coming guys, it is all helpful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure