Help with housing benefit

Comments

• CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    OnAndOn wrote: »
    Hello,

I am renting a house privately, and have been for the last 6 months.

my partner recently had to leave her work due to personal reasons, and obviously our income halfed.

after checking housing benifit calculator it states that i can claim 38 pound a week.

as i know nothing about the benifit system:

who will it be payd to?
    could it effect my tennancy?
    and who would i need to inform if i claimed this allowance?

Many thanks

You will need to make an application to your Local Authority - this should cover HB and Council Tax benefit as well. Except in exceptional circumstances any benefit will be paid to the tenant and not to the landlord. You would have to check your tenancy agreement to see whether you are obliged to inform your landlord. Even if you do so, your security of tenure is most unlikely to be affected - if the landlord were to attempt to evict you then I suggest you go to your local CAB for advice -their address can be found on www.citizensadvice.org.uk
    Please note that a tenancy with a private landlord is subject to Local Housing Allowance rules -you will need to check with your LA to see if this would reduce your benefit.
    Also please be aware that the LA will most likely ask questions about your partner leaving her job as they can turn you down if they conclude that she did this in order to be able to claim benefits.
    Hope this helps
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • Hi
    We are Council tenants since 2002 and moved into another council property in Slough in 2005. Both my husband and I have had a few rocky moments in our marriage as he suffers from Asperger's syndrome and life can be quite difficult. I have left on two occasions and returned and each time explained a change in circumstances as appropriate to the council.
    I returned finally in April this year and we are now firmly reconciled. I also have considerable health issues with Crohns disease, Atrial fibrillation, Osteoarthritis of the spine, and bipolar disorder but try to work when I can.
    I am a fully qualified teacher and worked until February 2010 in school but now find that the rigour of school is too difficult so have now turned to tutoring as a business which I set up in 2011. Also, my husband was retired from work through ill health in 2002 as he also suffers from a hormone deficiency. However, with very little money to live off he also turned to self employment in 2011 to try to keep himself above water.
    Since my return in April we have been doing battle with housing benefit, council tax and also working tax credit to get things sorted so that we can just get on and do the job. They have been constantly asking for new details and now they have issued a complex request for information concerning our jobs including wanting the names and details of all of our clients which I feel we cannot give as my husband is a therapist and with me tutoring I think it is sensitive information.
    The housing officer has now been in contact as the amount of arrears has now gone to £569 and has told us he is going to issue us with a notice of repossession on the house but that it is just a matter of routine so that it can kick start housing benefit. I think this is a load of rubbish and have now started paying the money I have set aside for my tax bill at the end of the year to clear some of the arrears. I am also now copying e mails sent between us to our local mp as this seems to be grossly unfair. We are trying our best to provide information as quickly as possible but it keeps on being updated and we just need to be given time to get on with our jobs.
    We also struggle to be honest with motivation issues because of our health issues and would be appreciative of any assistance that you can offer.
    Hello jules 23958

I'm sorry to hear about all your difficulties. We would like to try and help if we can. Can you tell me what specific help you are looking for. It looks like you are doing all that is asked of you but it would help me to help you if you could tell me what help you are looking for.

Thanks
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • Hi there, I've tried to use the benefits calculator on this site but as my partner is a full time student it's not giving me an accurate answer.

Basically, we live in a 2 bed flat (in Scotland) and pay £450/month rent. I work 35hrs/week and earned 13051.54 before deductions (according to my last P60 for April 2012). My partner works part time (8hrs/week) and her last p60 was 3889.29 before deductions.

She also gets money for going to university (student loan and student bursery) which in total is around £600/month.

Could you tell me if I eligible for housing benefit to help pay my rent or does the fact my partner is a student make me unable to claim?
    :j WINS 2015: £110/£2015

First baby due in June, will be entering every baby comp in sight!!
    doxybite wrote: »
    Hi there, I've tried to use the benefits calculator on this site but as my partner is a full time student it's not giving me an accurate answer.

Basically, we live in a 2 bed flat (in Scotland) and pay £450/month rent. I work 35hrs/week and earned 13051.54 before deductions (according to my last P60 for April 2012). My partner works part time (8hrs/week) and her last p60 was 3889.29 before deductions.

She also gets money for going to university (student loan and student bursery) which in total is around £600/month.

Could you tell me if I eligible for housing benefit to help pay my rent or does the fact my partner is a student make me unable to claim?
    Hello Doxybite
    Your partner as a full time student is not eligible for Housing Benefit unless she is disabled or has a child.
    However, you may apply for Housing Benefit (and council tax Benefit) in your own right.
    However her income will be taken into account and may reduce the amount of benefit that you are entitled to.
    You haven't given enough information for me to make an assessment for you. I would advise you to make an application for yourself to your local council and, if you are unhappy with the outcome, then seek advice from for example your local CAB - you can find the nearest one on www.citizensadvice.org.uk
    Please note that HB is affected by any capital that you may have over £6000, reducing to zero if you have over £16000. Also, if you are in private rented accommodation, your HB is limited by what is called the Local Housing Allowance.
  • Hi there,

SO CONFUSED ITS UNTRUE!

Looking for information on how to move home from a Housing association flat to private accommodation.

Too much to write but serious anti social issues being experienced at home, partner also heavily pregnant. Living in a studio flat with no room.

I work and partner doesn't, had to leave her job and does not receive any benefits or maternity pay. I am earning 24000 a year in a single job. No savings between us.

Could we theoretically leave our Housing association and look for private accommodation which is subsidized by housing association or housing benefit? when I use the direct gov benefit calculator it say I do not qualify for housing benefits. Is there anyway I can meet with my local council in person and have them look into this face to face?

Any help greatly appreciated!
  • My 41 year old sister is on incapacity benefit (and has been for around 15 years) due to ME and is living at home with my mum who is a pensioner. I understand that she cannot make any claim for housing benefit because she is living with a relative. My mother does not qualify for pension credit but her outgoings are higher with my sister living in the house. Are there any other benefits that could be claimed or should my mother refuse to let my sister continue to live with her. It has now got to the stage where I am contributing to the household expenses. I just want to see if there is any other help I can get to relieve the burden on my mother. She will be 75 next April.
    Hello Mad Mommy

Your mother may be entitled to claim Attendance Allowance if she is in need of regular care and your sister may be able to claim DLA is she is in need of personal care or her mobility is restricted.

If neither of these apply then it is really up to your mother to ask fro some money towards household expenses from your sister.

Any benefit that an individual receives is to pay for their essential living expenses. A personal allowance is meant to be spent on heating, phone, food etc.

If some one in the household is in receipt of certain benefits such as Incapacity Benefit the government assume that they are contributing the household expenses. If your mother was in receipt of Housing and Council Tax benefits unless she is in receipt of DLA care component or Attendance Allowance then the council will be making a deduction called a non-dependent deduction from her benefit.

This means that £11.45 per week would be stopped from your mothers Housing Benefit because your sister is living there.

If your sister was living in lodgings and claiming housing benefit for herself then amounts would be deducted from the benefit to pay for heating , hot water and any meals provided.she would be expected to pay them from her Incapacity Benefit

On this basis it is not unreasonable to expect your sister to pay the equivalent of what the government would deduct from your mothers Housing Benefit and the charges for heating food etc as that is the minimum that it is costing your mother to keep her.

This link will allow you to enter your mothers details to check her benefit entitlement and show her how much your sister ought to be contributing.
    http://www.turn2us.org.uk/benefits_search.aspx
    Hello Pete 87

You can resign your tenancy with the housing association but having done that you are then an ex tenant and have no rights or claims on the Housing Association.

If you wish to rent privately then you can do so and you may want to check out the rents in your area but it is unlikely that they will be subsidised in any way by the housing association. You may be entitled to Housing Benefit based on your income and if you have a child should be entitled to Tax Credits and Child

This link will enable you to see what help you may get. Benefithttp://www.turn2us.org.uk/benefits_search.aspx

It would be worth talking to the housing association about your change of circumstances and whether you would be able to move into a larger property that is more suitable for your family. you should be able to get a copy of their allocations policy from their website, or the councils website if the houses in your area are still owned by them. you should be able to ring and make an appointment

They may also have schemes to help you move into private rented accommodation such as loans for rent deposits or bonds for the landlords
  • Hi there ,

I am a french citizen , and i have been living and working in the UK for over 16 years.
    I had a baby a few weeks ago , and since i separated from the father while pregnant , i am now leaving on my own with my daughter.
    I claimed the housing benefits , but they refused them to me , saying that i have only came to this country recently to have a baby.
    I have sent them evidences proving that i have been working and living here for many years , and appealed their decision.
    Now they just came back to me , with a new refusal.
    I am very worried , considering that i am on my own with a newborn child , and unable to pay my rent.
    Since I only moved in my flat , three months ago , if i break the contract , i wont get my deposit back , and my credit check will be affected.
    What are my options ??
    Many thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family