REMO-Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Order

Options

Comments

• PlayingHardball
    Options
    Hiya, just popping in to say hello to everyone in this thread.

I don't have anything new to report, unfortunately. In fact, feeling a bit despondent about it all and wondering if it will ever come to anything! It will be 2 years in November since my day at the Magistrates court, swearing all my documents (and yes, I had to find a photo of the ex - big yuck...) My documents went to REMO in London in December 2008, although they claim to not have received them until mid April, so in effect, my application was sent to the reciprocal country in April 2009.

I'm starting to lose the will to even continue, both with REMO and with tribunal. Also waiting (patiently) for the tribunal people to get off their bums and give me a hearing date. That has been pending for almost a year (I think), very much beyond their target of 14 weeks to receive a hearing.

Someone kick me back into 'fight to win' mode, please!
  • AnxiousMum
    AnxiousMum Posts: 2,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PHB I can't believe they are dragging their heels on this! I praise the Canadian mantenance enforcement people when I talk to them! They certainly got my ex to start paying again, well, until this month and our son has started uni! By law he has to continue support until his 19th birthday - so no misunderstanding about him going to uni and not being eligible anymore.......and then by our own agreement, he will need to continue paying through first degree (as will I in terms of providing financial support as too many contact hours in the week for a part time job while at uni). Unfortunately they have their own laws to follow......but they have been amazing and right on top of thngs. They say that if there are arrears over $2,000 owing, and it remains owing after 3 months of registration, they wll write the payor and give 30 days notice of being reported to a credit bureau. They did this exactly 3 months to the day of being registered. They have put each step into place at exactly the time frames stated on their guidelines.

There is hope PHB......and whle t's hard waiting on it to come through - when it does, you'll know it was worth the battle.
  • floralaura
    Options
    Hi, im just about to go through with a REMO against my ex who lives on the Isle of Man..a Man whos paid £42.90 towards his Son in 7 years! :mad:
    Anyhoo, I have to go to my local magistrates court next Thursday but no-one has told me what happens when I go there etc..so im pooping myseld slightly as have never been to court before! So if anyone here could give me a idea of what happens it may help my sanity in the next week! :o x
    She has the loaded handbag of someone who camps out and seldom goes home, or who imagines life must be full of emergencies..
  • PlayingHardball
    Options
    Don't worry, nothing for you to worry about. I'm a bit under the weather tonight, but I promise I will recount my experience tomorrow. You have no need to worry!

One little bit of information, the CSA are reviewing policy whereby they are looking at being able to take foreign income into an assessment for establishing liability. That came from high up in the CSA to myself, via my latest complaint through my MP. And recently confirmed to me from an other source as something that is being challenged within the current remit of enforcement for NRP living abroad

This would be amazingly good news! Fingers crossed. Far too many NRP have been getting away with avoiding their responsibilities for too long!
  • speedster
    speedster Posts: 1,300 Forumite
    Options
    i heard that one too. i think it's a long way off yet though. plus, they don't know how they are going to enforce it either.

TBH i think the government have a lot more going on other than pleasing the extreme minority of overseas nrp, so chances are their promise may turn out to be a load of hot air.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. THEY'LL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

and, please. only thank when appropriate. not to boost idiots egos.
  • floralaura
    Options
    Anyone? :(
    Im meant to be in court at 12 today, only im thinking of not going as I have no idea what will happen etc.. :(
    She has the loaded handbag of someone who camps out and seldom goes home, or who imagines life must be full of emergencies..
  • mico62
    mico62 Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    Hope I'm not too late to wish you good luck.

I resubmitted all my paperwork yesterday at the county court. all I can say is the staff were so helpful, they don't deal with that many remo cases so didn't mind all my questions. They said if the judge asks to see me its very informal and nothing to worry about so please go, if you don't it might damage your claim.

Let us know how it goes x
  • AnxiousMum
    AnxiousMum Posts: 2,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I hope you attended! It is really informal, casual, and you would be talking with 3 magistrates who will hear your request, look at the facts, and in all likelihood, grant you a provisional order if what you are asking for is a fair request.
    REMO is well worth it - I've done it with Canada, and notced online today when I looked that a lovely large cheque has just been mailed to me by them on Tuesday - seems he wanted to avoid thier 'reporting to credit bureau' deadline - but he missed it by one day - bummer eh? So he's paid his arrears - but will have the credit reporting on his file until there is no longer a responsibility to pay child support. It has been worth every moment of waiting - and they have been great at putting in enforcement actions as and when their guidelines say they would.
  • Kimi31
    Kimi31 Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello All

A fellow REMO applicant here. My ex is USA citizen living in the USA and has for 10 years done nothing but take the michael with supporting his 3 kids.

I have an appt for 15th Nov to go and swear in my docs and take my trusty pic of the ex with me. Im hoping they are as lax in Liverpool as some of the places mentioned in this thread.

I last had payment in August. Not long compared to some of you but in the 10 years i have been he has probably provided no more than 3 years support and i am broke, the kids are older and i cant keep up any more.

I dont want lump sum payments, i dont want thousands of pounds, i just want a fair regular amount for child support that i dont have to chase month in month out.

This is a man who was supposed to Western Union me money last week, didnt happen due to his usual " they didnt pay me' then let slip he had given, not loaned, given his parents $1000 for thier mortgage cos they were short....he doesnt even live with them

Anyway, i hope the US courts are quick, though i am not expecting much as i am sure he is paying backtaxes...
  • mico62
    mico62 Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    Kimi, I didn't need an appt for Liverpool, I just went to the public counter to swear my affidavit then when I'd had everything copied I went back and they took all the evidence off me along with my £40 fee.

Like you I'm not asking for the earth. when our consent order was drawn up he specified an amount per month which was half of what he'd been giving me previously but if that was all his kids were worth than that was his choice. The money he sent was spent on them and they never went without or missed out on anything. Part of me want to say stick your money but then I remember they're his kids and has a duty to support them.

The only hiccup is the kids found out through facebook he's married his girlfriend since I sent him a copy of the consent order and an extract saying his greencard could be revoked for nonpayment in July. Her ex has got custody of her 2 kids (sounds like a match made in heaven) but I'm wondering what his motives are for marrying so quick, he wasn't seeing anyone last xmas
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback