The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Help with housing benefit

Comments

• CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    Hello blueberries

It can be a bit confusing and this link may answer your question in part

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_help_if_on_a_low_income_ew/help_with_your_rent_-_housing_benefit.htm#restrictions_on_how_much_rent_housing_benefit_will_cover

The LHA is the maximum that can be paid on a property of a certain type ie two bed property.

You may have some reason why you cannot get the full LHA either because you are under 35 or possibly because your family only need a one bed property. If this is the case then your housing benefit will be based on the lower amount. If this is not the answer then you do need to go back to the council and ask them to explain.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • Hello, please can someone explain in plain english the difference between;
    LHAR (Local Housing Allowance Rate)which is £110.77 per week for a 2 bedroomed property
    and
    LHAL (Local Housing Allowance Limit) which is upto £290.00 per week for a 2 bedroomed property.

I am having a brain block in trying to understand why there are 2 different amounts. :eek:

Thanks.

LHA/LHAR is a local calculation based on the lowest 30% of private rents in a specified area for a particular property type/size.

LHAL is the national maximum which LHA for that property type cannot exceed. It usually only applies in the South East/London.

Your LHA is the £110.77 for a 2 bed property. That is the figure on which they will base any LHA claim from a household requiring 2 bedrooms.
  • Hello blueberries

The LHA is the maximum that can be paid on a property of a certain type ie two bed property.

No. It is the maximum they will pay for a household that requires a property of a certain type. If that family can find a 3, 4, 5 bed property for the 2 bed LHA rate, then there award will be still be based on the 2 bed LHA rate, regardless of the property size.
  • is it still the case that if you are under 35 (I am 25) but receive DLA at a higher care rate you can claim housing benefit for a one bedroom flat instead of the usual rate for shared accommodation? As my disability would make it very hard for me to share. I am currently living at home with my mum but the situation is quite unbearable (due to my disability, partly a mental health issue) and I need to get out. Also is there any way of getting help with deposits etc to get into a new rent when you are on benefits? Thanks in advance for any replies and advice with this.
    The amount you get will vary depending on your circumstances. Housing benefit assessments are based on a combination of:
    • personal allowances
    • Premiums- (paid if you or your partner have a disability, care for a disabled person or have reached the qualifying age for pension credit).
    You can get extra amounts in the form of premiums if you satisfy certain conditions.

Severe disability premium
    You or your partner must satisfy all of the following:
    • be receiving the care component of disability living allowance (middle or higher rate) or attendance allowance
    • live alone (there are exceptions to this rule)
    • no one else must be getting carer's allowance for looking after you
    hope this helps
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • galeforce81
    galeforce81 Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 5 December 2012 at 5:16AM
    At the moment i am sleeping on a friends sofa but am hoping to rent my own place and would then claim housing benefit. I am 31 and in receipt of ESA income based (support group) and DLA (High rate mobility, Low rate care). I would like to know if its likely that i could claim a higher amount of HB than is typical of someone of my age as i was told that i would only be able to get enought HB for a room in a shared house. I dont know if i get a severe disability premium but i receive just under £240p2w. If anyone could help i would really appreciate it.
    At the moment i am sleeping on a friends sofa but am hoping to rent my own place and would then claim housing benefit. I am 31 and in receipt of ESA income based (support group) and DLA (High rate mobility, Low rate care). I would like to know if its likely that i could claim a higher amount of HB than is typical of someone of my age as i was told that i would only be able to get enought HB for a room in a shared house. I dont know if i get a severe disability premium but i receive just under £240p2w. If anyone could help i would really appreciate it.

Hello
    As you are under 35, you are correct to be concerned. Under 35's are only entitled to HB level (set by your local authority) appropriate to shared accommodation. A single person with no children can be exempt if they are "severely" disabled - claiming middle or high rate care element of DLA - see this link http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/housing_benefit_and_local_housing_allowance/housing_benefit_if_you_are_under_35

As you are getting income based ESA you are passported to the full HB level subject to the above.
    Hope this helps.
    If you need more detailed advice then I suggest you contact your local CAB and get an interview - you can find the nearest office by using https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk
  • Hello
    I hope someone might be able to help. I am a single parent and I have recently come off Income Support and started working 20 hours per week. I was claiming IS for over a year and was told I would qualify for 4 weeks Extended Payment or Run On of my Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit, as well as a Job Grant and In-work credit. I have received the grant and have started getting my in-work credit but my Local Authority are denying me my 4 weeks Extended Payment. They sent me a letter saying they were awarding it to me but when I stopped receiving any payments I called them and was advised I no longer qualified as I would still need HB whilst in work - therefore Extended Payment no longer applies. And now it will take 6-8 weeks without any help as they work out my in-work Housing Benefit. It's left me in a financially difficult situation, please can someone advise if my LA are allowed to do this?
    Thanks in advance
    Sabrina
  • Hi,
    People may hate and attack me on here but I'm hoping one it two of you will be able to give me some advice.
    I haven't been entirely honest on my claim, I married 3 years ago but didn't tell housing benefit :0(
    The reason I didn't though us because me and my husband can't live together as he had his own ha house an hours drive away where he lives with his children from another marriage. I don't receive any money from him as he has his own house and bills to pay for. I didn't intend for things to be like this but when I tried living with him for a few weeks it caused so much upset for my son from a previous relationship that he had a breakdown and was then diagnosed with Aspergers. He was making suicidal threats and said he couldn't hack living with my husband and his children as he hated them.
    Hence why I live apart from my husband, I just go to him on weekends when my mum comes to mine to look after my son. Tax credits know my situation and are fine for me to claim as an individual but I know housing benefit are different hence why I haven't told them I got married. I have never been dishonest in my life and this is killing me and I really want to be honest and tell them but what will happen to me ? I have been married for 3 years now and claimed as an individual all that time but I don't get any money from my husband as we live separate lives but wanted to get married for the sake if our child together who is now 3. Even if they weren't to prosecute me would they stop my housing benefit because I am married as I would be homeless if this happened as my son could never live with my husbands children and also his house is too small for all of us.
    I am so scared but what can I do??? I don't want to go to jail just because I wanted to be married!
    Dear Sabrina,

If you had been on IS for more than 26 weeks, you should receive Extended Payments automatically for at least the same rate for an extra four weeks from the first day of your employment, even if you would still need HB whilst in work. We would like to advice you to contact your local council and ask why they deny your 4 weeks Extended Payment.

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure