Share your stories on PPI Reclaiming claims handlers

Comments

• magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The answer is yes, unfortunately.

Actually, I suspect the answer is no - because they are unable to pursue the complaint without your consent, which you have not given, and and since any offer would amount to personal data, the lender should not release details to them either.

I think an argument that it is unfair, within the context of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, for them to demand a share of redress in relation to a complaint which they have never been able to pursue on your behalf, would be looked on sympathetically by the MOJ.
  • richje100
    richje100 Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    My wife signed up to inveater compensation they told her their fee was 30% sloshed signed up because they said she stands a better chance in getting the misold ppi back. We had no letters or calls off them , we even chased them ourselves and was told to chase lloyds tsb if we wanted. We made several calls to them chasing a current position. A few months later we had a letter off lloyds with £3k. Then a week later an invoice off the comp firm for their cut but now it seems it's 30% + vat. They called my wife today with attitude and demanded the money even said they will call every hour until she gives tem et bank details so they can apply direct. I called them and asked them to justify what work they had done to earn the 30%. They were supposed to have rung me back today with the info for me but hasn't . Just wonder of anyone can give advice about negotiating a lower fee. As far as I'm concerned all try done was pass on the claim.
  • ppidisgrace
    ppidisgrace Posts: 202 Forumite
    yes lots of ifas mis-sold ppi
    many many many
    look at the number of fscs claims via brokers and ia's who are now out of business
    what a lot have done is pinched their old database, set up new company and now contact old clients advising them that their old agreement had ppi and they have all the paperwork etc , and that they can make a ppi claim for them
    its very sad but true
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    yes lots of ifas mis-sold ppi
    many many many

Evidence?
    How about the FOS stats for 2011/12 which showed that just 0.2% of PPI complaints are advised cases. That is tied agent, mortgage adviser and IFA.

So, the FOS dont report many.
    Look at the number of fscs claims via brokers and ia's who are now out of business

Yes. Lets look. The FSCS published stats just this week. They showed that just 5% of complaints they deal with regarding mortgage advisers were upheld. 95% were rejected as not being mis-sold.

Now lets look at claims companies. The FSCS say that around 71 per cent of claims made against mortgage intermediaries came from claims management firms in 2011/12. Some 850 of the claims made against brokers came from claims firms in 2011/12, compared to 341 claims made by individuals.

So, that would indicate that claims companies are once again sticking in fraudulent try-it-on complaints with little hope of success.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Morning all,

On the subject of re-claiming PPI; I'm currently going through the process and MBNA and Halifax have been faultless - bar their initial fault of miss-selling PPI.

Anyway, I come to the dreaded Natwest.

I no longer have an account with them so in order to retrieve the info i need to progress, after speaking to around 5 different departments, I was told I needed to write to their Manchester office where they deal with archived accounts as they don't have emails or telephones (?). A bit of a pain but no real problems in the grand scheme of things...you would like to think...

I've lost track of how long this has been dragging for now but I've written 3 times, made 2 complaints via their website and made several more phone calls but I still haven't heard a thing. Not a 'we've received your complaint and will be in touch shortly' email, call or letter. Not a 'we've received your 3 letters and are processing your request'. Not a thing.

I'm not totally sure where to turn now. I'm writing to the FSA and a few national papers (just in case they're writing a feature) but after that, I'm out of ideas bar sending letters in bulk in the hope that one will get read.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance
    Ben
  • jdwmfc
    jdwmfc Posts: 215 Forumite
    Bleuty wrote: »

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance
    Ben
    You need a SAR,
    Look on here for a template and ideas on what to ask for,
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1475553
    CC 1 :- £5800/ £5,800 CC2:-[STRIKE] £4513 / £4513[/STRIKE] CC3: £4622.53/ £4622.53[/STRIKE] CC4:- £8971/ £8971[/STRIKE]
    Loan:- [STRIKE]£1785.63 / £1785.63[/STRIKE] 0

Actual total debt January 2011 £39,451.30 Paid to date 39,375.77
    :beer: PPI from HSBC = £4172 :beer:
  • Let us know the following:
    • Why you decided to use a claims handler
    - PPI Claim line cold called me and seemed to know far too much for it to be a scam! I didnt like attitude of the first guy much and refused to give extra info but they knew size of loan, when taken out etc. - told by FSA they said.Only thing they asked me about was who loan from and I wasnt sure so named who I believed it was. A long way down the conversation -with another rep- he said there was a 25% cost if they won so I said not interested.

Paperwork arrived anyway -twice. But by then I had found loan papers and it was a different company who didnt seem to have persuaded me to take PPI - which was as I remembered it, but they seemed so sure. So I destroyed paperwork.
    • Were you happy with the service/ Anything else you want to tell us
    - Happy until today OK cos they seemed to have gone away. HOWEVER - today they phoned to say my claim had been approved and when i questioned how as I had given no approval to pursue a claim the caller assured me I had, and got really shirty when I said I hadnt and didnt want them to. Said he would return the money to Court of London (or some such), that I couldnt pursue claim via anyone else, thank you,goodbye and slammed phone down. Now it really really seems like a SCAM to me.
  • hi,
    newbie here so bare with me.
    using a company that advertise on sky channels, slick, and look a nice set up.
    anyway, cut to the chase, i've been awarded £2,000, of which ppi co. will take 25% plus vat - which is ok as i was told this over the phone when they first contacted me. at the time i specifically asked "no hidden charges" and "nothing will jump out later" - "no hidden and 25% + vat is all ever i'll pay was reply". "no win, no fee"
    Fine, get on with it then.
    I get invoice from them and there is a one-liner stating "subject to service charge or £100 minimum". whats this i ask myself.
    So i call them up and they say "if your awarded over £400, then you get charged VAT, if its below £400 then your charged £100". i'm now concerned as when i stated "no hidden charges", they say they are not, its in the term and conditions. I read relevant paragraph back to them which gives an example of £1000 award less 25% etc etc which i understand and agree. however, underneath this there is a "subject to £100 minimum charge". i ask what this is in relation to, and its the £400 scenario. BUT they dont give an example of minimum fee's, just an award to captivate you. I'm now incensed, because, and i asked them this question "so, if i'm awarded £25, you will keep it and invoice me for £75" which is minimum charge - answer YES. I ask to speak to a supervisor, NO. is response, dont have any ?? "how do i complain", cost me £10 for a "complaint pack".....it then turns into me being patronised and talked to in a condescending manner and they keep throwing "you signed the T&C" at every stage of my discussion "signed T&C....." and they say THEY are covered as Financial Ombusdmen and MOJ have endorsed their T&C - so essentially, tough !!!!!
    i have been awarded £210 from 2 other sources of which i will receive £10 !!!!!!!!!.
    i can name and shame the company, but not sure if it infringes rules.
    by the way i rang MOJ and am awaiting a call back as they see this as entrapment.
  • Just to give my experience claiming PPI.

I've lurked on MSE for some years now, I reclaimed thousands in bank charges and a few months ago got my act together on PPI. Using the templates I wrote to four credit card companies.

Halifax were a no, two more are still being tracked but I received over £4,000 from another.

Delighted is an understatement. Thank you to everyone that has campaigned on this, it really is appreciated and the money will be well used to expand my business.
  • This morning this company cold-called me re. reclaiming PPI and credit card charges. I see some others have had problems with them and I was stunned to see what they charge. They didn't get that far with me. When I said I was registered with Telephone Pref. Service and was going to report them, the guy (I have his name but don't think I'm supposed to say on here) replied, "You can report us to who ya like, but the banks are still gettin' your money". I told him that was a rude reply and hung up. I am a bit nervous of tackling it, but I'll take Martin's advice and manage by myself.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback