Breeze gone.

Comments

• gwapenut
    gwapenut Posts: 1,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 December 2019 at 12:08PM
    Gutted. I've been with them for over a year. Very fair renewal quotes, very good customer service.

I have a credit balance with them. I know this is safe, so long as I don't switch away too early, but should I be cancelling my direct debit?

EDIT: MSE article says:
    If you pay for your energy by direct debit, don't cancel your future payments. Your regular payment amount will remain the same for the time being, and will continue to be taken as normal.

RE-EDIT: Ofcom contradicts this:
    Should I cancel my direct debit?
    You can cancel your direct debit before the new supplier contacts you, if you want to. You will be able to set up a new direct debit with the new supplier.

I guess I should side with Ofcom's advice, especially as I'm in credit?
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    gwapenut wrote: »
    Gutted. I've been with them for over a year. Very fair renewal quotes, very good customer service.

I have a credit balance with them. I know this is safe, so long as I don't switch away too early, but should I be cancelling my direct debit?

I've been with 3 suppliers who went bust in the last 18 months - cancelled the DD as soon as I heard the news! Don't trust the administrators of the failed Cos. not to continue taking DDs and the SOLRs generally managed without inheriting the instructions (altho I'm still battling Together Energy who took over from One Select):)
  • Only joined Breeze a couple of months ago after my Dad had been with them for a couple of years. Have done a reading and cancelled the Direct Debit that was supposed to go out next Monday. As I have a small credit I'd rather wait for someone to ask me for outstanding final bill than have to spend time chasing to get anything back.
  • Benight
    Benight Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Post
    gwapenut wrote: »

EDIT: MSE article says:
    If you pay for your energy by direct debit, don't cancel your future payments. Your regular payment amount will remain the same for the time being, and will continue to be taken as normal.

RE-EDIT: Ofcom contradicts this:
    You can cancel your direct debit before the new supplier contacts you, if you want to. You will be able to set up a new direct debit with the new supplier.

What Ofgem actually says is:

Your new supplier will soon contact you to explain how they will take on your account, including any direct debit arrangements. They will also tell you what will happen to any credit balance you may have had with your old supplier.

What should I do if I’ve already cancelled my direct debit?

You don't need to worry if you’ve already cancelled your direct debit. Wait until your new supplier has got in touch with you. They will help you set up a new account and will be able to tell you what will happen to any credit balance you may have with your old supplier.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/extra-help-energy-services/ofgem-safety-net-if-your-energy-supplier-goes-out-business

So no contradiction - keep the mandate open and the new supplier will take it over :)
    Just an expansion - Under the terms of the direct debit scheme, you can cancel the mandate at any time :) (But expect to have to set up a new with the SoLR if you do)
  • Benight
    First Post
    brewerdave wrote: »
    I've been with 3 suppliers who went bust in the last 18 months - cancelled the DD as soon as I heard the news! Don't trust the administrators of the failed Cos. not to continue taking DDs and the SOLRs generally managed without inheriting the instructions (altho I'm still battling Together Energy who took over from One Select):)

If you cancel the DD mandate direct with the bank when a supplier ceases to trade, how has any such supplier then continued to take payments from you? :huh:

One Select ceased trading about 12 months ago, so cancelling your mandate didn't help you there did it?
  • katies_mum
    katies_mum Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Have just seen this, we moved to Breeze when our previous company went bust. They have been great and such a good company to deal with.

Our DD is due out tomorrow, we also have a credit of £127.30 on the account. Suppose its too late to cancel tomorrows DD? I know they say not to but hoping the credit will be enough to settle our current bill when it arrives. Anyone else with a credit cancelled?
  • Benight
    First Post
    katies_mum wrote: »
    Have just seen this, we moved to Breeze when our previous company went bust. They have been great and such a good company to deal with.

Our DD is due out tomorrow, we also have a credit of £127.30 on the account. Suppose its too late to cancel tomorrows DD? I know they say not to but hoping the credit will be enough to settle our current bill when it arrives. Anyone else with a credit cancelled?

Yes, if the DD is due to be collected tomorrow, then the collection file would have been submitted to the bank already.

Also Breeze Energy will still be supplying you tomorrow ;)
  • katies_mum
    katies_mum Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thank you I did wonder. Only reason is I have enough credit to cover the Breeze bill.
  • Benight
    First Post
    katies_mum wrote: »
    Thank you I did wonder. Only reason is I have enough credit to cover the Breeze bill.

As it should do, as Breeze state in their terms that you agreed to abide by that they charge in advance ;)

Customers need not worry, their supplies are secure and domestic credit balances are protected.

Ofgem’s advice is to sit tight and wait until they appoint a new supplier for you.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Benight wrote: »
    If you cancel the DD mandate direct with the bank when a supplier ceases to trade, how has any such supplier then continued to take payments from you? :huh:

One Select ceased trading about 12 months ago, so cancelling your mandate didn't help you there did it?

I'm not saying that I allowed a failed supplier to dip into my account -but others have reported that DDs have been submitted after the date of failure where they HAVEN'T cancelled direct with their bank!!

The problem with One Select was a dispute over the size of my credit with them - initially the SOLR (Together Energy) seemed to be accepting responsibility for correcting the final OS bill, as they issued it, BUT after 10 months and a complaint to the Energy Ombudsman, they have decided to wash their hands of it! However, the compo awarded AND Together's incompetence means that they now think they owe me money!
    If I hadn't cancelled the OS DD as soon as they failed ,the details would have passed over to Together and I would no doubt be in the same mess as many others appear to be ie being owed £00s:(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback