Selling your stuff on EBID. advice for new sellers

Comments

• val4xx
    val4xx Posts: 78 Forumite
    Well, out of curiosity I've set up he same item on Ebid and Ebay just to see what happens. (Yes I do have more than one of the item.) Also had the same item in Tazbar since Jan without a bite. Tazbar seems mostly craft, jewellry and discs.

Hi Peter. I'd predict that your ebay item will sell first. Not just because there's more traffic there, but because you've probably built up feedback on ebay but not yet on ebid?, and buyers will favour a proven feedback record. Personally i don't compare the two sites because the selling strategies required to make the most of both sites are very different. In my experience ( or with my products anyway) ebid works a bit like Amazon, the more i have listed the more regular sales i get. I can't afford to use that strategy on ebay as the fees would be too high.
    There is no such word as "bidded". I bid, you bid, they bid, Ebid ;)
  • val4xx
    Mordillo wrote: »
    I have signed up for the 7 day platinum account just to test it out, I'm interested in the lifetime platinum account as it is a fifth of my last weeks ebay fees!

First item listed so I'll see how it goes.

I presume I'll be able to upgrade to the lifetime platinum account if I want to?

Yes you'll be able to upgrade - or downgrade if you choose too. One thing to watch out for with the short period subscriptions is that they are RECURRING subscriptions that will continue to be deducted unless you cancel them. If you decide you don't wish to continue with the subscription the easiest way to stop it is to go into the 'my subscriptions' area on your ebid account and downgrade yourself to either siilver (no subscription, still able to sell- but less seller tools) or bronze( buyer rights only).
  • val4xx
    Oh dear, I got all excited! then let down.... I was keen to see if I could cut my selling fees on ebay and searched completed listings in one of my most used categories.
    Out of 129 items only 2 sold :rolleyes: so no matter how cheap it is to sell I just can't see how it would work in my case

Maybe next year Rodney

Hi Rodney. In case you're wondering why i've rated your post as 'useful' it's because i'm a numpty and clicked the wrong button :rotfl:

I've said this before ( and will probably say it lost on the future) but if you're expecting sales to be just like ebay - they won't. However you could use both sites. Continue to list on ebay, but keep a stock of listings on ebid too. If you take the 'silver' membership you'll have nothing to pay at all until you sell something. So nothing to loose really?
  • val4xx
    What are the rules for linking on ebid? For example, you can link to your own website on your eBay 'me' page provided prices are two clicks away and the moon is in the eighth house of ridiculous or something, and I was wondering if there's a similar rule on ebid. If there is, I can't find it, and I'd hate to fall foul before I've even started :)

Thanks.

Hi.
    You can't put links ( or emails) into your auctions, they get automatically stripped out. However you can put certain links on your 'about me' page. I think the general rule is no linking to any e commerce site. However linking to an astrology info site should be fine. If in any doubt it's worth dropping an email to ebid support ( there's a link on ebid help pages, or ask on ebid forums and someone will give you the addy)
  • val4xx wrote: »
    I think it's always been 30 main categories- but you can set sub categories under the main categories which gives you a lot more. For example one of my main categories is crime fiction- and within that category i have for sub categories diciding up the authors surnames.

Hi Val

That's what I would have expected, but I've only listed 14 main categories, and it has stopped me listing further sub-categories now that I have reached 16 :confused:

FFM :)
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us :hello: make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
  • val4xx
    That's strange.

I just found a post on ebid forums that says it's 30 main categories with 10 sub categories in each. Drop an email to ebid support (address is on ebid forums or there's a 'contact us' thingy on the help pages- or pm me if i'm allowed to give out adresses via pm here?
  • Val - you are a star :T

My problem was that having set up my Main Categories, I was trying to set up more than 10 Sub-Categories - it was pure coincidence that the last one I listed made the total add up to 30.

Anyway, I have now revised my categories and have 21 Main Categories with no more than 9 sub-categories (to allow for a little bit of expansion).

Thanks again.

AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us :hello: make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
  • Hi Val

After reading your first post I decided to give Ebid a go. I've signed up for 30 days Platinum and am trying to do a bulk upload. I mainly sell books on Amazon and Play, so I prefer the BIN option.

I have emailed a bulk upload with only 6 books on it to see if I have got the format right, this was about 3 hours ago. I have seen different estimates regarding upload times - do you know if they do uploads at weekends? Do you have to delete the advisory tabs in the excel spreadsheet before emailing? Do you have any tips where you have previously made 'false starts' in trying to bulk upload?

Sorry I have so many questions, but I can't seem to find the answers on the FAQ on Ebid.

TIA FFM :)

Well, if anyone is interested, my bulk upload was successful, I've just heard, 27 hours after I sent the request in.

I guess the moral of the story is to be patient - it's difficult in the beginning because you don't know how long to expect to wait - maybe they have had a sudden rush of interest due to Val's original post.

I've just sent in another, not just BIN's but some auctions included.

• Okay, so my 2nd upload only took 40 minutes to be actioned :confused:

I'm not doing everything quite right, in the first batch my uk postage rates were coming up at £50 ish - but they were easy to sort out manually - not sure where I went wrong there.

2nd upload, I put on to bid and BIN, but only the BIN has come through :confused: at least the postage seems to be right.

I'm now off to try and see where I am going wrong and to work towards a 3rd go.

Wish me luck.

• Okay, so my 2nd upload only took 40 minutes to be actioned :confused:

I'm not doing everything quite right, in the first batch my uk postage rates were coming up at £50 ish - but they were easy to sort out manually - not sure where I went wrong there.

2nd upload, I put on to bid and BIN, but only the BIN has come through :confused: at least the postage seems to be right.

I'm now off to try and see where I am going wrong and to work towards a 3rd go.

Wish me luck.

Keep going! Well done so far. It's amazing how quickly you get used to it!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback