Buyer wanting refund for what I think is buyers remorse

I sold a dress last weekend, brand new with the tags still on.

It was tagged in 3 different places and had just been tried on once in store. It was bought for a wedding and never worn as it was a wedding abroad and saw something I liked a lot better about 4 weeks afterwards so having had it in my wardrobe for about 4 months I decided to sell. I bought it for £89.99 and sold it for 6.99 but I know that's irrelevant.

I took loads of photos and did a complete description. The buyer has received the dress but says she is not happy with the condition, it is clearly not new and it has rubbed patches from being worn.

The thing is that it is a dress which has a lining and then a velvet look layer with appliqued flowers and surrounding each of the flowers is a patch that looks a bit fluffy (for want of a better description) but that's the design of the dress. When I listed the dress I explained that it was difficult to describe but took 12 photos including close ups to show it properly.

I genuinely think that she does simply not like the dress, I know for certain there was no sign of wear because firstly it has not been worn and secondly, I double check every item I sell before listing and again before packing.

I assume Im going to have to bite the bullet and refund in full and pay the return postage as she will only open a case if not but its so maddening. Her photos showing the ' wear and damage' show nothing different to the photos I took as its neither wear nor damage.

Comments

• List it again at a higher starting price to cover your costs
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    swingaloo wrote: »
    I bought it for £89.99 and sold it for 6.99 but I know that's irrelevant.

Puzzled as to why you listed it so low? I would list that on BIN with best offers at £39.99 (if not more)

If you do this you will more than get your money back on this time waster
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,743 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I listed it with a low starting price as it was a very distinctive style and im sure not to everyone's taste.

I bought it on impulse and I had listed it twice at a higher price with no takers so I decided to try a low start to see what happened. It was one of those dresses which looked nicer on than on the hanger and the photos don't do it justice no matter how you hang/hold it.

I suspect she hasn't even tried it on but anyway theres nothing I can do but refund maddening as it is.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It was one of those dresses which looked nicer on than on the hanger and the photos don't do it justice no matter how you hang/hold it.

So take a photo of you wearing it. Your face does not have to be visible - a photo from the neck down would work.
  • GS..
    GS.. Posts: 220 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    That's the only reason she needs.
    Cough up and just sell it to someone that likes it. No drama
    ......I genuinely think that she does simply not like the dress, ......
    {Signature removed by Forum Team - if you are not sure why we have removed your signature please contact the Forum Team}
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I listed it with a low starting price as it was a very distinctive style and im sure not to everyone's taste.

I bought it on impulse and I had listed it twice at a higher price with no takers so I decided to try a low start to see what happened. It was one of those dresses which looked nicer on than on the hanger and the photos don't do it justice no matter how you hang/hold it.

I suspect she hasn't even tried it on but anyway theres nothing I can do but refund maddening as it is.
    If you are selling something that you don't think will get much interest then auction is definitely the wrong way to go. Just list as a BIN at a high price and regularly reduce it every month or two, at some point someone will bite. It may take a long while to sell but it WILL sell eventually, hopefully at a much higher price than at auction.

I've had items in stock for almost 2 years sometimes, just waiting for that one buyer because although I knew they were worth good money they were so unique (vintage electronic test equipment) I NEEDED to sit on them until that rare buyer turned up.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If the buyer wants a refund they need to pay the return postage. I would be firm and say the condition was perfect. Paypal normally tell the buyer they need to pay for postage to return an item.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    If the buyer wants a refund they need to pay the return postage. I would be firm and say the condition was perfect. Paypal normally tell the buyer they need to pay for postage to return an item.

Paypal always leave the buyer to pay returns postage - there is a programme that you can sign up to that may allow you a reimbursement.

Ebay will ask the buyer to pay returns postage for change of mind and (rightly) ask the seller to pay for SNAD.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure