Add your feedback on energy supplier So Energy

Comments

• Stoneybroke66
    Stoneybroke66 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 13 January 2020 at 12:22PM
    I transferred to So Energy Wolf in October 2019, assuming that my generation 2 (SMETS2) meter would be compatible.
    On sign up, visas MSE Cheap Energy Club I clicked through a generic warning about some Smart meters may lose functionality assuming this referred to older SMETS1 meters.
    Only when I enquired why the meter was still dumb some weeks later and So Energy were requesting meter readings did an enquiry reveal that So Energy currently "do not have the infrastructure to support ANY smart meters."
    Signing up via So's own web page apparently gives an explicit warning about no smart meter support. They say it is planned for 2020.
    After some discussion, they have waived the penalty and allowed me to transfer to a cheaper tariff with them. I await the Smart meter infrastructure going live...
    Better go and read my meters.
  • So_Energy
    So_Energy Posts: 47 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I transferred to So Energy Wolf in October 2019, assuming that my generation 2 (SMETS2) meter would be compatible.
    On sign up, visas MSE Cheap Energy Club I clicked through a generic warning about some Smart meters may lose functionality assuming this referred to older SMETS1 meters.
    Only when I enquired why the meter was still dumb some weeks later and So Energy were requesting meter readings did an enquiry reveal that So Energy currently "do not have the infrastructure to support ANY smart meters."
    Signing up via So's own web page apparently gives an explicit warning about no smart meter support. They say it is planned for 2020.
    After some discussion, they have waived the penalty and allowed me to transfer to a cheaper tariff with them. I await the Smart meter infrastructure going live...
    Better go and read my meters.

Hello Stoneybroke66,

I am glad to hear that we were able to transfer you to a cheaper tariff and thank you for your patience whilst we get smart meters ready for installation.

We're not yet installing Smart meters because the infrastructure is still being implemented and we believe our customers will be better served if we wait until it has been fully completed. We will update our customers once this is ready.

Thanks

Jas
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of So Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Firstly, thank you so much for not forcing Smart Meters into our houses. :beer: They are certainly nothing to celebrate.

Secondly, I have just been sent my renewal as my contract is reaching an end. The new contract is due to go live in March. Interestingly your FAQ states that we can stay on our current tarriff for the full 12 months "if it is cheaper". See the bottom of this post for the full FAQ.

My current tarrif is actually significantly more expensive than the new tarriff. Is there a way of moving onto it sooner than the full 12 month period?

I would be really grateful to move across ASAP, especially as your FAQ suggests that this may be an option.

Current contract: So Rhino - Electricity - 1 Rate
    New contract: So Alder - Electricity - 1 Rate
    Start date: March 23, 2020

----

My current tariff is cheaper, should I wait until the last day of my tariff to renew?

No! If your renewal tariff is more expensive than your current tariff, we will of course let you finish the full 12 months of your cheaper tariff first, regardless of when you agree to renew. In fact, the renewal tariff on offer is subject to change, so if you like it, go for it! You’ll have a 14 day cooling off period if you change your mind."
  • WhoIsThat
    WhoIsThat Posts: 234 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 January 2020 at 8:03PM
    Dragonfly1 wrote: »
    Firstly, thank you so much for not forcing Smart Meters into our houses. :beer: They are certainly nothing to celebrate.

Secondly, I have just been sent my renewal as my contract is reaching an end. The new contract is due to go live in March. Interestingly your FAQ states that we can stay on our current tarriff for the full 12 months "if it is cheaper". See the bottom of this post for the full FAQ.

My current tarrif is actually significantly more expensive than the new tarriff. Is there a way of moving onto it sooner than the full 12 month period?

I would be really grateful to move across ASAP, especially as your FAQ suggests that this may be an option.

----

My current tariff is cheaper, should I wait until the last day of my tariff to renew?

No! If your renewal tariff is more expensive than your current tariff, we will of course let you finish the full 12 months of your cheaper tariff first, regardless of when you agree to renew. In fact, the renewal tariff on offer is subject to change, so if you like it, go for it! You’ll have a 14 day cooling off period if you change your mind."

Pretty sure So Energy have a £5 early exit fee on all of their fixed rate tariffs.

You'll need to do your own calculation as to whether or not you will save that £5 by switching now.

I suggest you wait until the beginning of next month, when the supplier will not be able to charge you an early exit fee. (unless you think you will save a fiver just in the next couple of weeks)
  • So_Energy
    Dragonfly1 wrote: »
    Firstly, thank you so much for not forcing Smart Meters into our houses. :beer: They are certainly nothing to celebrate.

----

Hello Dragonfly1

You can renew your existing tariff when you are in the last 60 days of your contract. If you choose to stay with us then no exit fees (£5 per fuel) will apply as you will be in the last 60 days. If you switch to another supplier, then no exit fees are applied in the last 49 days of your contract.

If you renew with us, then we usually automatically start your new tariff from the date your current tariff ends. However, we can start it sooner if that's what you prefer. This will usually then start from the next billing period.

I would suggest you get in touch with us so that we can explain further and make any necessary changes for you.

You can email us at any time at help@so.energy or give us a call on 0330 111 5050 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm).

Thanks

Jas
    I am the official company representative of So Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Rosco62
    Rosco62 Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Joined them 21 days ago from utility point no problems so far...…£30 Quidco cashback plus I've had 1 £40 referral confirmed:j
  • Rosco62 wrote: »
    Joined them 21 days ago from utility point no problems so far...…£30 Quidco cashback plus I've had 1 £40 referral confirmed:j

Quidco doesn't appear to have any commission arrangement with So Energy, but happy to be proved wrong.

In any event, for quidco to confirm cashback within 21 days (save for clicksnap transactions) is, well, quite undelieveable :cool:
  • Rosco62
    slowrace wrote: »
    Quidco doesn't appear to have any commission arrangement with So Energy, but happy to be proved wrong.

In any event, for quidco to confirm cashback within 21 days (save for clicksnap transactions) is, well, quite undelieveable :cool:

My apologies it was....Hoppy on Quidco £30 for single fuel switch although now it's down to £10
  • So_Energy
    Rosco62 wrote: »
    My apologies it was....Hoppy on Quidco £30 for single fuel switch although now it's down to £10

Hello Rosco62

So Energy are available on various third party websites and comparison sites. We are not involved with their own promotions and I would suggest enquiring with them if you seek further clarity of this.

If you'd like to recommend us, you can earn yourself and the person you refer £40 each. Find out more here: https://www.so.energy/so/help-and-advice/faq/additional-information/refer-a-friend

Thanks

Jas
  • Rosco62
    slowrace wrote: »

I never said it was confirmed........just that i joined 21 days ago with £30 cashback.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback