EON Smart meter and Inhouse display

Comments

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Blot wrote: »
    Why do I increasingly get the conviction the whole SMETS programme is a dogs dinner.
    I suspect that there are some dogs that could have made a better job of it!

It really is remarkable. A 10 minute meeting between all the energy companies a few years ago could have sorted the whole thing.
  • Well, having done what Malc suggested
    Please contact us and ask to be put through to the Smart Centre
    , they took onboard the issue, thankfully with some common sense, and got an engineer out....and low and behold, there WAS a problem.
    Replacing the meter(s) and the IHD has resolved the problem 100%

For those that care....both meters (gas and electric) and the IHD have to be replaced at the same time, as they are all paired together - you cannot just replace one potential "faulty" item.

For clarity:
    * The IHD communicates to the smart meter directly, using zigbee (like your home wireless) - this is called the HAN (Home Area Network). The IHD should work up to 15 metres away from your smart meter (although if you have thick walls/radio absorbant materials between them, of course it will be shorter).
    * The smart meter communicates with your energy provider over the mobile network or as they call it WAN (Wide Area Network). This is area/cell signal dependant - so if you are in a poor mobile signal area, there is a possibility that they won't receive your data....but they will know this at install time.
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Not sure what you mean by "like your home wireless"?
  • matelodave wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see what other people's IHD range is.

Mine is only around 3m from the meter so it sits on a windowsill in the dining room which backs onto the meter box.

I'd prefer it in the kitchen but that's around 7m away with a couple of walls in between.

I dont use it to actually monitor my consumption because I need to press buttons to get to the appropriate screens but it's useful to remotely read the meter so saving me having to go outside
    I was getting 2-3 bars on the IHD no matter where the IHD is in the home (4 bedroom, 2 floors), so no communication issues at all between the comms hub and the IHD. I suspect that is mainly down to having wafer thin walls internally. Having said that, the IHD is switched off and will probably remain that way forever lol
  • Talldave wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by "like your home wireless"?

The same type of radio communication that smartphones, tablets, laptops etc use to access the Internet via a WiFi router.
  • Talldave
    The same type of radio communication that smartphones, tablets, laptops etc use to access the Internet via a WiFi router.
    Which is exactly what ZigBee is not. It's a very low power, low bandwidth radio link that can only communicate a few metres and relies on mesh networking topology to get any further.
  • @Talldave - point taken about zigbee being low power, low bandwidth. I used the word "like", with the intent of really meaning this is a wireless network local to the smart meter, used by the IHD. That is all.
    E.ON's help centre we saying that my "low signal" issue was because the IHD was not getting a good mobile/2G/3G GPRS signal......which is utter rubbish. HAN vs WAN
  • Talldave
    shudman wrote: »
    @Talldave - point taken about zigbee being low power, low bandwidth. I used the word "like", with the intent of really meaning this is a wireless network local to the smart meter, used by the IHD. That is all.
    E.ON's help centre we saying that my "low signal" issue was because the IHD was not getting a good mobile/2G/3G GPRS signal......which is utter rubbish. HAN vs WAN

Understood. I wonder if smart meter b*****it from call centre operators is infectious? Operator 1 overhears operator 2 giving duff information, thinks it sounds impressive and copies it, whilst adding their own flavour of made up waffle. Or is this rubbish written in their scripts? Or is the IHD actually getting a WAN signal strength to display from the electricity meter?

I was also under the possible misunderstanding that half the country uses a dedicated network for WAN and not GSM? Why organise a single shambles when two will complicate things further?!

My other guess is that gas meter to electric meter comms is Zigbee too?
  • Well, when the engineer came out to fix my issue (from Morrison's), I explained the HAN/WAN thing and he said he was not 100% sure. He then called his helpdesk...and I overheard the senior tech person say to "my" engineer "tell the customer he is wrong, this is about the mobile phone signal in his area....it will not improve until a mast is put up". So, even the engineer's tech escalation point are spreading useless tripe.
    Because I was insistent (and because I had talked to Chameleon, who make the IHD), the engineer called his boss and he said "just change the meters and the IHD". Ironically his boss came out to assist/inspect....and his understanding of HAN vs WAN was spot on.

I am not sure how the meters talk together, but I suspect the are separately talking over the WAN (because not everyone has gas AND electric meter, plus when provisioning the gas meter....it took 15 mins for it to register @E.ON, whereas the electric meter registered within 5 mins). The "rescheming" makes sure at provision time that the electric meter comms with the IHD, and the separately the gas meter to the IHD...that is why they all had to be replaced at once.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Talldave wrote: »
    I was also under the possible misunderstanding that half the country uses a dedicated network for WAN and not GSM?
    In central and southern regions, cellular and wireless mesh technology (provided by Telefonica) will be used to connect to the SM WAN, while in northern regions, Communications Hubs will use long-range radio (provided by Arqiva) for wide area communications.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback