PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Royal Mail redirection - is it worth it?

Comments

• OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 28 February 2018 at 6:09AM
    custardy wrote: »
    you seem to have all the answers.
    so what is it you need to know?
    you can often have financial type letters coming to mr& mrs
    If I didn't know that you can have financial type letters come to mr and mrs smith, then clearly I didn't have all the answers.
    ...and yet many folks dont include them. Take this from experience of complaints."
    Not every issue can be pinned to folks not accepting the variation of name option. e.g. the example from my initial post is testament. In that case there were multiple issues that continued over a period of time, resulting in common sense and understanding going out of the window. It took someone like a consumer champion to bring some clear, level-headed sense in to the dispute.
    so what is it you need to know?

I've already told you in Post #39.
    How do some letters slip through the net and end up at the old address?, is it human error? How many letters end up at the old address (or worse)?

I think you only replied to/defended the "Is it human error" part and how letters slip through the net part (somewhat explained but not very clear).
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    OceanSound wrote: »
    If I didn't know that you can have financial type letters come to mr and mrs smith, then clearly I didn't have all the answers.

Not every issue can be pinned to folks not accepting the variation of name option. e.g. the example from my initial post is testament. In that case there were multiple issues that continued over a period of time, resulting in common sense and understanding going out of the window. It took someone like a consumer champion to bring some clear, level-headed sense in to the dispute.

I've already told you in Post #39.

I think you only replied to/defended the "Is it human error" part and how letters slip through the net part (somewhat explained but not very clear).

Well no offence,but do you really want me to list every possible scenario plus all the ones I know?
    Im not sure what you think will change by knowing this.
    I focused on ones the customer may have input to.
  • OceanSound
    Forumite
    custardy wrote: »
    Well no offence,but do you really want me to list every possible scenario plus all the ones I know?
    Im not sure what you think will change by knowing this.
    I focused on ones the customer may have input to.

We seem to be talking past each other. Please read the post carefully. the missing answer is:
    How many letters end up at the old address (or worse)?

rather than obsessing too much (by way of talk) with change and performance. Perhaps RM should collect some figures and plug the gaps.

Their 2016-17 annual report says this:
    As a result of a range of initiatives, we reduced the
    number of complaints in key categories like misdeliveries and redirections.

What were these initiatives? (is this just corporate-speak that's made it in to the annual report?)

Redirections are clearly a problem as they receive many complaints. How about we have some figures so we can keep track.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Forumite
    How many letters end up at the old address (or worse)?
    rather than obsessing too much (by way of talk) with change and performance. Perhaps RM should collect some figures and plug the gaps.
    If the figures which they have probably collected show that there are significant gaps in the service, how would you propose they plug the gaps? Perhaps by focussing on making changes and improving performance? No system is infallible. Doesn't seem they are focusing on the wrong thing if they are making incremental improvements to what they have.
    As a result of a range of initiatives, we reduced the
    number of complaints in key categories like misdeliveries and redirections.
    What were these initiatives? (is this just corporate-speak that's made it in to the annual report?)
    When you are writing a report to your investors about your performance, you might like to tell them that the complaints of misdeliveries and redirections are down following a range of initiatives you implemented which improved things for the customers. However, to fully detail the minutiae of every project that you put in place, in an organisation employing 160,000 people, seems like it might be overkill. The report is already 155 pages long as it is.
    Redirections are clearly a problem as they receive many complaints. How about we have some figures so we can keep track.
    Why do you need to keep track? Have you been appointed the new head of Ofcom?
  • custardy
    Forumite
    We seem to be talking past each other. Please read the post carefully. the missing answer is:

Their 2016-17 annual report says this:

That was a serious question to quantify how many letters fail redirection. You were serious?
    How would you obtain such a figure?

Why would expect RM to publish data about internal changes?
    There have been swathes of changes as I alluded to earlier. A key change in the last few years is the focus on customer complaints as a whole.
    so of course this will impact changes to complaints.
    misdeliveries will always (IMO) be a big hitter
  • OceanSound
    Forumite
    Couldn't help noticing ROyal mail in the news today (about stopping scam letters).
    However, staff were trained to spot potential scam letters, and a series of new initiatives - including an industry-wide code of practice - have been launched since 2016.

There's that word again. At least now they've named the initiatives (that can be named). e.g. staff were trained. Other initiatives cannot be named due to security reasons I guess.

Notice they've said:
    The service said it faced difficulties owing to the law which made it an offence to open postal items to look at the contents. Once envelopes were sealed, neither Royal Mail nor the intermediary companies delivering the mail to Royal Mail for final delivery were permitted to open them and assess the content...

Didn't seem to have a problem with this (opening peoples mail) before. Or eating other peoples wedding cake sent through the post, for that matter.
  • custardy
    Forumite
    Couldn't help noticing ROyal mail in the news today (about stopping scam letters).

There's that word again. At least now they've named the initiatives (that can be named). e.g. staff were trained. Other initiatives cannot be named due to security reasons I guess.

Notice they've said:

Didn't seem to have a problem with this (opening peoples mail) before. Or eating other peoples wedding cake sent through the post, for that matter.

Not really sure what your point is?
  • OceanSound
    Forumite
    I signed-up for the ROyal Mail redirection end of March. It's been going well, except the odd letter slipping through the net and still being delivered to the old address and 1 letter to a family member arriving at my new address.

However, lately there's been a flurry of letters that have arrived at the old address. Contacted ROyal Mail support via email yesterday. Not yet received a reply.

Should I call them?

The email acknowledgement said it can take up to 10 days for them to get back to me. In the meantime, I'm worried that more letters will end up at the old address. My elderly parents (with their best intentions) try to forward anything to me, but I've found that some have just been misplaced in the house or been disposed of thinking it was junk mail.
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    For how long did you pay for the redirection, could it be 3 months?

Why didn't you take care of changing your address in the last 3+ months? An occasional odd loyalty card or whatever still using the old address is normal, but after 3 months you should have change the correspondence address fro all monthly and e-monthly communications to your new address, how did it end up in a flurry of mail to the old?
  • OceanSound
    Forumite
    edited 17 July 2018 at 4:04PM
    sal_III wrote: »
    For how long did you pay for the redirection, could it be 3 months?

Why didn't you take care of changing your address in the last 3+ months? An occasional odd loyalty card or whatever still using the old address is normal, but after 3 months you should have change the correspondence address fro all monthly and e-monthly communications to your new address, how did it end up in a flurry of mail to the old?
    I signed up for the 12 month service. I've no idea as to how come there was a flurry to the old address.

edit: I may be going back to old address in 12 months or before, so don't want to keep changing address with all the senders.
    BTW, I received some redirected mail at the new redirected address today, so, the redirect is still active, but prone to 'blips'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure