What would you have done.

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    The OP knew that housekeeping would enter that room at some point and the fact they knew this and didn’t put their personal belongings out of sight e.g. by closing the bag shows that they did not mind the housekeeper looking into their bag at their stuff. The objection is to the fact they actually touched their stuff which does cross a line.
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    Sorry this makes no sense.

The bag being open is not an invitation to look in it!
    It beggars belief, it really does.
    One wonders what type of hotel that poster is used to staying in.

Even in the most basic self catering accommodation I've stayed in I wouldn't expect housekeeping to rummage through my bag to remove something that wasn't visible.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Pollycat wrote: »
    It beggars belief, it really does.
    One wonders what type of hotel that poster is used to staying in.

Even in the most basic self catering accommodation I've stayed in I wouldn't expect housekeeping to rummage through my bag to remove something that wasn't visible.

I did not say that though :wall:
  • JReacher1
    hollydays wrote: »
    Jreacher doesn't ever admit to being wrong :rotfl:

I see you are still bitter ;)

Let it go! Life is too short to hold grudges :)
  • Pollycat
    I did not say that though :wall:
    You actually said this:
    The OP knew that housekeeping would enter that room at some point and the fact they knew this and didn’t put their personal belongings out of sight e.g. by closing the bag shows that they did not mind the housekeeper looking into their bag at their stuff. The objection is to the fact they actually touched their stuff which does cross a line.
    The OP has been quite clear that although the bag was open, the wine/nibbles were not visible. :wall::wall:

In anyone's book (except yours) it is totally unacceptable for housekeeping to look inside anyone's bag - whether that bag is open or closed.
    Ditto for looking in drawers and wardrobes.
    Guests should be able to expect a certain amount of privacy in their rooms and rummaging though bags is out of order.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    photome wrote: »
    Leaving a review before giving the hotel/restauarant a chance to explain is wrong IMO.

If OP had asked there may have been a logical explanation

I don’t think they can explain going down the OPs personal baggage.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    I don’t think they can explain going down the OPs personal baggage.

Yes, I very much doubt they would have admitted to housekeeping removing the wine in such a way.

More than likely they would have just replaced the wine, hoping the guest would leave it at that.
  • JReacher1
    You actually said this:

The OP has been quite clear that although the bag was open, the wine/nibbles were not visible. :wall::wall:

In anyone's book (except yours) it is totally unacceptable for housekeeping to look inside anyone's bag - whether that bag is open or closed.
    Ditto for looking in drawers and wardrobes.
    Guests should be able to expect a certain amount of privacy in their rooms and rummaging though bags is out of order.

So how does someone in housekeeping enter a room and not actually see inside an open bag. Do they just refuse to look in the area of the room that the bag is in? Or maybe they close their eyes and erect a screen around it to avoid glancing in......
  • Pollycat
    So how does someone in housekeeping enter a room and not actually see inside an open bag. Do they just refuse to look in the area of the room that the bag is in? Or maybe they close their eyes and erect a screen around it to avoid glancing in......

You're being ridiculous and pedantic now.
    When I said 'look' I meant physically put your hands inside the bag and rummage under clothes and remove something.
    And you knew very well what I meant.
  • JReacher1
    You're being ridiculous and pedantic now.
    When I said 'look' I meant physically put your hands inside the bag and rummage under clothes and remove something.
    And you knew very well what I meant.

I am not being pedantic at all. My point from the start of this thread is that if you leave a bag open in a hotel room then the staff will look in the bag as it will basically be impossible not to see what is inside an open bag.

I am relieved that you now realise that I am correct :doh::doh::doh:
  • Pollycat
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    Yes, I very much doubt they would have admitted to housekeeping removing the wine in such a way.

More than likely they would have just replaced the wine, hoping the guest would leave it at that.

If housekeeping had an issue with the OP taking the wine (as opposed to drinking it in the room ), they should have gone directly to the person in charge who could then decide whether to make an issue of it or let it go in the interests of not upsetting a guest.
    Under no circumstances should housekeeping rummage through a guest's belongings.
    I'd be very interested to read the hotel's side of this story.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure