How much of a shop can be done at Aldi/Lidl?

Comments

• Zero_Sum wrote: »
    Out of interest, but this is one of my pet hates regarding Aldi price comparrisons. Why didnt you just drop to Tesco own brand initially?
    Like for like (ie own brand v own brand) Aldi arent that much cheaper, and some their non food stuff is quite poor quality. And when you factor in various offers & money of coupons, you can do a shop in the other supermarkets which will be cheaper than Aldi.
    Tesco own brands still don't compare on price (or quality, tbh). I did used to buy a lot of Tesco "standard" brand. Some things like tinned tomatoes, tomato puree etc etc are pretty much the same price or quality, but certain items really are a lot cheaper at Aldi. Tescos own brand 400g cheddar cheese is about £2.60, Aldi is about £1.60. Aldi choc hazelnut spread is £1.30 & is just like Nutella. Tescos chocolate spread is that horrid I've never bought it since first trying it. I just find a lot of the Tesco own brands either cheap but much lower quality, or equal quality but more expensive than Aldi. Then, certain things like tin foil - £1.99 for 30mtrs at Aldi, or twice the price at Tesco. Large free range eggs less than £1 Aldi, £1.25 Tesco - & eggs is eggs!

I just find that Aldi manages to provide better quality at a cheaper price by having an operating model that minimises operating costs & facilitates lower prices while maintaining profit - the old stack it high, sell it cheap. Tesco is bloated & inefficient & can only stock cheap products by using lower quality ingredients, whilst still having to cover the cost of money pit stores, an inflexible operating model & return enough profit to ward of a shareholder revolt.
    I must add, I spent over 10 years working for Tesco management so I know the business & the products pretty well. I still shop at Aldi, it really is just cheaper.
  • Agree with Novice that with Aldi and Lidl you pay less but don't necessarily skimp on quality. There are exceptions but most times it's fine...
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Agree with Novice that with Aldi and Lidl you pay less but don't necessarily skimp on quality. There are exceptions but most times it's fine...

I also agree with this :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!

Our cat loves the Lidl cat food, .

I wish ours did, she used to - then I stocked up and now she refuses to eat it :mad:

Like you I do about 80% of our shop there (and, I can't remember who said they didn't like Lidl Deo but OH has just started using one I picked up from there as a 'try it' for him and now requested I get more :D horay :money:)

Besides price, one of the key things is my local Lidl is just outside the town centre which is more convenient for me and has free parking at store.

I do the rest of my shop usually split between Sainsburys (OH drinks Oat milk, i need cat food and often pick up a few other bits that Lidl don't stock). Sometimes I'll venture to Asda, again for things Lidl don't do, but shan't be bothering with that much when APG stops.

I agree I don't need to be faced with 20 different brands of beans when I'm shopping - I don't mind the choice as i can bypass what i don't want, but it all makes the stores that much larger = longer to get round. I actually like Lidl everyday beans (used to buy Branston until they stopped doing the 4 for £1). They keep their shape and have lots of sauce. Can't stand Heinz which are just like mushy baby food imo. But then I know people who love their beans like that so horses for courses.

Some frozen bits from Iceland if I'm in there (I love their king prawn alfredo)

Aside from that, dishwasher tabs (Fairy - because I find they work best where I live with the hard water) and Fairy non bio washing liquid from Savers.

I would love an Aldi nearer as I do think they have some wider ranges - but we didn't have a Lidl until a few years ago so I'm not complaining.

btw - I find their 'artisan' gin every bit as good as Hendrick's.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• I have Lidl within 5 min drive away so use it quite a bit and Aldi about a 15 min drive away, don't like the bread in Aldi, it always looks dry to me, they do the brioche burger and hot dog buns though and I buy them. My local Lidl is getting worse for stock mind, quite a bit of empty shelves when you go in. I am lucky in that I have a B&M and Herons within a 5 min drive so get quite a bit in those shops.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    LadyCoupon wrote: »
    I have Lidl within 5 min drive away so use it quite a bit
    My nearest is also about a 5 minute drive away, but I prefer to walk, primarily because it gives me some exercise (a round trip is a good 5,000 steps), which is important as I am otherwise very sedentary. As a secondary benefit it means I buy fresh food as and when I need it.

I appreciate this might not be possible when shopping for a family.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    edited 14 September 2018 at 10:40PM
    Tesco own brands still don't compare on price (or quality, tbh). I did used to buy a lot of Tesco "standard" brand. Some things like tinned tomatoes, tomato puree etc etc are pretty much the same price or quality, but certain items really are a lot cheaper at Aldi. Tescos own brand 400g cheddar cheese is about £2.60, Aldi is about £1.60. Aldi choc hazelnut spread is £1.30 & is just like Nutella. Tescos chocolate spread is that horrid I've never bought it since first trying it. I just find a lot of the Tesco own brands either cheap but much lower quality, or equal quality but more expensive than Aldi. Then, certain things like tin foil - £1.99 for 30mtrs at Aldi, or twice the price at Tesco. Large free range eggs less than £1 Aldi, £1.25 Tesco - & eggs is eggs!

I just find that Aldi manages to provide better quality at a cheaper price by having an operating model that minimises operating costs & facilitates lower prices while maintaining profit - the old stack it high, sell it cheap. Tesco is bloated & inefficient & can only stock cheap products by using lower quality ingredients, whilst still having to cover the cost of money pit stores, an inflexible operating model & return enough profit to ward of a shareholder revolt.
    I must add, I spent over 10 years working for Tesco management so I know the business & the products pretty well. I still shop at Aldi, it really is just cheaper.

Like a lot of own brand stuff its a bit hit & miss. The tinned stuff ive bought in aldi have been poor (except tuna). Soft fizzy drinks there is no choice beyond orangeade.
    Their 'thick' bleach should be subject to trading standards as its literally money down the toilet its that watery, and at 45p, tesco's 50p version is loads better. (Wilko's own brand at 39p isnt as good as supermarkets but still better than aldi)

Bread never seems to have shelf life beyond 1day. The fruit & veg are often rotten (has been featured on BBC watchdog)

I find on average aldi is about 10% cheaper, but just have too many greviences with the place for it to be worth while.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 September 2018 at 10:52PM
    Zero_Sum wrote: »
    Soft fizzy drinks there is no choice beyond orangeade.

I like the Fizzy Elderflower (Aldi). 1L bottle, and currently at the bargain price of 32p.
    Their 'thick' bleach should be subject to trading standards as its literally money down the toilet its that watery...
    I very much suspect that all of the "thicker the better" stuff is marketing fluff, anyway.

In terms of the original question, in my experience, IF you have easy access to both Lidl and Aldi, you can easy achieve 90%+ of a typical household shop. Added to which, you'll have access to the mystery middle aisles and Lidl's weekly national food events. I would expect that average savings of 25-30% compared to branded products, Tesco & Sainsbury's are achievable.

However, nothing is ever free, and there's a level of experimentation and trial and error with Lidl and Aldi that may not be required elsewhere. I quite like that, but I can see that some people may find it annoying.
  • Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    I like the Fizzy Elderflower (Aldi). 1L bottle, and currently at the bargain price of 32p.

Have never seen it in my local one. I do pop in now & then for sandwich meat & cheese, and a few bits & bobs., as its only a 5 min walk round the corner for me. Just couldnt do a proper shop there.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 September 2018 at 11:16PM
    Zero_Sum wrote: »
    Have never seen it in my local one.

It's one of the drinks ranges sold off the pallet stacks. There are 3 or 4 varieties on that single pallet with clear, blue tinted plastic bottles. Elderflower is the one with the blue cap. I think 2 of the other flavours are Peach and Lemon & Lime.

In my store, these "water" drinks are in a different aisle to the Juices, Squashes and soft drinks like Cola and Lemonade.

edit: As if by magic...

28128a18a2cb8c1d2e2eb161df976e4e03a5fbf6.jpg

I think the new bottles are curvier than that pic.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure