How much of a shop can be done at Aldi/Lidl?

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    pumpkin89 wrote: »
    Since I'm so snooty... if you'd read the rest of the thread you'd have the answer to that question :D

I suggest you try the Deluxe Mature Farmhouse from Lidl, very acceptable

On the rosemary crackers :D
  • suki1964 wrote: »
    I suggest you try the Deluxe Mature Farmhouse from Lidl, very acceptable

On the rosemary crackers :D

Thanks - I have to say, that does sound very good! :beer:
  • suki1964
    Forumite
    Thanks - I have to say, that does sound very good! :beer:

With Lidl, you really do have to give the product a try

Skyr Yoghurt,parmasan cheese, dry cure bacon, hummous, wood fired pizza bases, tinned tomatoes, deli meats, cheeses ( esp their speciality cheeses) for example are excellent quality and a lot cheaper then equivalent quality elsewhere

Our Lidl ( Lidl NI) only stock Northern Irish meat and I have never had a problem with the quality of that and the fish is from the South, also very good. Creamery butter here is just £1.27 half pound, its as good as any other creamery butter sold at twice the price ( and its from the same creamery, just different label)

Id be mad not to shop in Lidl :)
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,047
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 10 September 2018 at 4:54PM
    The matured rib eye steaks in Lidl and Aldi are good, the extra cost buying them from Waitrose does not reflect exponentially to the taste although none of those three supermarkets top Costco for meat IMO.

Jackson's bread is very good, was often out of stock when I was a regular Waitrose shopper which was annoying.

Edit
    I'll add that other than the rib eye steaks I mainly go to Aldi for the super 6 offers. I will shop where ever it convenient to where I am at the time, my time is money so spending an extra 30 minutes to travel to supermarket X to save a tenner is not cost effective for me but for other people it will be. There is no black and white with this kind of thing, we are all various shades of grey.
  • suki1964 wrote: »
    With Lidl, you really do have to give the product a try

Skyr Yoghurt,parmasan cheese, dry cure bacon, hummous, wood fired pizza bases, tinned tomatoes, deli meats, cheeses ( esp their speciality cheeses) for example are excellent quality and a lot cheaper then equivalent quality elsewhere

Our Lidl ( Lidl NI) only stock Northern Irish meat and I have never had a problem with the quality of that and the fish is from the South, also very good. Creamery butter here is just £1.27 half pound, its as good as any other creamery butter sold at twice the price ( and its from the same creamery, just different label)

Id be mad not to shop in Lidl :)

It sounds brilliant, but totally different from my local Lidl sadly :(

I do wonder if Lidl tailor their stores more to the local area than other supermarkets. My local is very budget-end, but then the other supermarkets in our town are Waitrose and Sainsbury's, so maybe that was the gap in the market. I know you don't have Waitrose in NI so perhaps they felt there was more of a gap at the top end there? We also don't get local produce here, which is a shame.
  • suki1964
    Forumite
    It sounds brilliant, but totally different from my local Lidl sadly :(

I do wonder if Lidl tailor their stores more to the local area than other supermarkets. My local is very budget-end, but then the other supermarkets in our town are Waitrose and Sainsbury's, so maybe that was the gap in the market. I know you don't have Waitrose in NI so perhaps they felt there was more of a gap at the top end there? We also don't get local produce here, which is a shame.

I don't know, I know we are charged more here :mad:

What I do know is when I go to Scotland and shop in Lidl and Aldi there, their ranges are Scottish and once again of high quality

I never really shopped in Lidl when I lived in Surrey and London, but then I had more money then time and sense back then:rotfl: Everything was from Marks and Waitrose
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Can confirm Aldi rib eye steaks are amazing... as are their cracked black pepper crackers.

We do probably 95% of our shop there (we have an enormous Aldi near where we can get toasted sesame oil, etc). The fruit and veg in our local is fab;the nearest Lidl, not so much.

Their range of prosciutto and other cooked and cured meats won't, in my mind, be beaten for the price.

I get soda crystals, fairy fabric conditioner, garlic puree and various herbs and spices from other places.
  • For Me...Aldi 0% ...Lidls I might get away with 30%

I think it depends on whereabouts you live....When I lived in the Midlands we had a decent Lidls...having moved, the Lidls is nowhere near as good.

In the 'local' Lidls I would struggle to buy fresh fruit and veg-and what there is has a really short shelf/fridge life. For milk I would be limited to whole milk...no skimmed or semi-skimmed available...the Lidl instore-bakery is a huge disappointment - tempting smell and rank taste...no healthy-options as far as meat goes (lower fat mince for example) and some weeks I have seen that the only chicken was halal (which I refuse to buy)...and no veggie options such as quorn either...

What IS good at Lidls is the Deli...sometimes limited as to range but a very fair quality...and in December , Mum and I always book a visit to stock up on Christmas Goodies - the Favorina continental range is rather good.

I admit to having only been to our nearest Aldi two or three times...but the fruit and veg was actually mouldy on the shelves....the range was REALLY poor..and the whole store was less than disability-friendly.

Added to the above is the fact that I don't have a car...so both Aldi and Lidl are too far for a weekly shop! They are not close to a busstop either.

(Thnkfully we have a VERY local M&S...excellent quality...and MUCH cheaper than people seem to think...and the best loyalty card on offer!)
  • Thankfully a local Lidl and Aldi opened within walking distance from my house within the space of 6 months. I shopped at Lidl to start with but Aldi is 5-10 mins walking distance closer so I mainly opt for Aldi :D

My weekly shop comes to around £15 (just for me). Sometimes £20 if I buy "extras".

That £15 covers evening meals for Mon-Fri, fruit for the week, bread, milk, eggs, and ingredients for whatever I decide to batch cook for the week for work lunch - it's crazily cheap and I think the quality is no worse than Sainsbury's tbh. I then buy Almond & Raisin cereal from Tesco near work for £3 that does me for 2 weeks.

Rarely buy ice cream, crisps, chocolate etc which usually bumps up the total price!
  • We buy 80% from Lidl and most stuff is v great. I used to get more gluten free from Tesco but finally Lidl have woken up and started to sell some bits permanently. I'll definitely get very few Tesco points now...

Our cat loves the Lidl cat food, we love most things esp the chocolate, veggies, fruit and hubby eats the cheese most days then we get fancier at Christmas. I do not like the cheese much but per kg it's the cheapest and sometimes offers mean you get a better quality one. Like this coming weekend they have an offer...
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business