Neighbors landscaping and water/gas

Hi,

My and my two neighbors water and gas pipeline go across another neighbours garden, this is in a raised bank at the back of their property. They have landscaped their garden, pushing the raised bank back exposing our gas and water pipes and want us to pay for them the be receased into the ground. The pipes were not particularly deep in the ground to begin with, i.e approximately 1 foot and behind raised railway sleepers.

They have said...

Hi we need to dig down to bury your water pipe. According to our deeds, this is your responsibility. Our landscape gardener could do this in the next week or so. We need to get this done as it’s a hazard & unsightly. Its £270 to do this. Can you let me know if you would like us to proceed by the end of the weekend.

We have looked at their title deeds and can't find anything which suggests we need to do this.

Does anyone know if

1) we are liable for the cost
2) where in the title deeds we could find this
3) is reasonable for them to ask at 2.30 pm on a Saturday and want an answer by the end of the weekend

Thank you

Lisasob

Comments

• 1)are we liable for the cost

I very much doubt it and I would be reporting it to the gas and water suppliers especially as they appear to think moving them is a job for a landscape gardener.

2) where in the title deeds we could find this

Dunno, can't see them from here ;)

3) is reasonable for them to ask at 2.30 pm on a Saturday and want an answer by the end of the weekend

No, and my answer would be 'please wait while I investigate the possible consequences of this further.
  • They want to pay a landscape gardener to move your water and gas pipes? Doesn't sound right - the pipes will need supply cutting off, disconnecting and extra length put in to re route, not a gardeners' job. Also if the pipes are exposed right up to the boundaries do they intend to dig into the neighbour's on either side to make sure it's buried before the pipe reaches their property?

They can pay the landscaper to put the dirt back on top as they were if they'd like! Is that what they're proposing? Don't see why you should pay for that.

Otherwise I agree with martin - call the water and gas suppliers, I expect they'll be responsible for moving any supply (at neighbour's cost) and might not be too impressed with your neighbour's proposal.

I'd drop them a note saying you're concerned about the proposed works and to not make any progress until you've had a chance to consider the matter further.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 2 September 2018 at 8:38AM
    My resposnse would be to tell them that they must now wait until you've contacted both the water and gas authorities to come an investigate this safety hazard. The gas board are usually pretty quick if it's considered to be a safety hazard.

That then has the possibilty of a couple of navvies with yellow jackets and big spades (even a mini digger) tramping over their "landscaped" garden to sort it out.

WE had a similar situation several years ago when our drive was being relaid and the gas pipe was only about 6" below the surface. The gas board came mob handed. Dug up the footpath and relaid it all right up to the meter in our garage. Didn't cost us anything because the gas pipe is their responsibility right through to the meter.

Probably a similar situation with the water supply pipe.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • mumf
    mumf Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Agree with the above.Contact gas and water,and possibly get legal advice.And tell your neighbours that too.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,433 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Where are your water/gas meters?

If these pipes are 'your side' of the meters then the responsibility *may* rest on you.
    If your meters are on your property after these pipes, then tell the neighbours to ask water/gas authorities
  • Neighbors
    Which US state do you live in?

Or are you referring to your neighbours. . . ?
    :D:);)
  • The pipes are the flexible type that comes up at one side of there garden and goes back down about 4/5 meters closer to ours.

The meter is on our land not there's.

Sorry re the deeds, we've looked at it and it didn't say anything of the sort.
  • lisasobw wrote: »
    The pipes are the flexible type that comes up at one side of there garden and goes back down about 4/5 meters closer to ours.

The meter is on our land not there's.

Sorry re the deeds, we've looked at it and it didn't say anything of the sort.

Click linky and chose 'emergency and safety information' https://www.npower.com/home/help-and-support/contact-us/
    and have a chat
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport