Which BANK - download old statement data in EXCEL

Options
I bank with HSBC

HSBC only offer PDF options for downloading historic statement data.

I want to switch to a bank that will allow me to download (for example) 1 year's worth of my data into excel.

Is there a good bank that offers this service to customers?

Comments

• SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I bank with HSBC

I want to switch to a bank that will allow me to download (for example) 1 year's worth of my data into excel.

You can download transaction data from HSBC in CSV format. These files can be loaded or imported in to Excel.

Format of the file is date, description, amount.

The description contains payer/payee, reference and type of transaction.
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,863 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    SnowTiger wrote: »
    You can download transaction data from HSBC in CSV format. These files can be loaded or imported in to Excel.
    Ditto from Halifax - .CSV and .QIF files types available (latter is noted as Quicken and Money).

I just tried a .CSV and it has headers: Transaction Date Transaction Type; Sort Code; Account Number; Transaction Description; Debit Amount; Credit Amount; Balance. The sort and account appeared to be your own, so I'm not sure how useful that is.

Not sure how far back it can go as I only tried this year to check the headers, I'd been logged out before I could check how far back I could select a date for - but I could go back over 6 years with .pdfs as I recently downloaded them all to archive.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with the others, all the banks I use have some kind of system to extract data to use in Excel. The main problem I've found is limitations on how much data can be downloaded at a time. From memory TSB is the worst with a maximum of 3 months per download.

Even if there isn't a csv option you should find it possible to copy the text from most PDFs and import it into Excel. You might be lucky and able to paste it directly in, but otherwise pasting it into a text editor (like notepad) and then importing the txt file should work (although it may require some work on the formatting).
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • daschom
    daschom Posts: 6 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not sure if it's just me but did Halifax remove the transaction details from online statements you can download using online banking?
    h*tps://d.pr/i/izSLyq+

I also have not received any monthly statements but rather a yearly statement?
  • DayDreamJay
    Options
    SnowTiger wrote: »

Format of the file is date, description, amount.

The description contains payer/payee, reference and type of transaction.

How would I do this please?
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    How would I do this please?
    At the foot of the transactions list there is a download link. However it appears that only 6 weeks of transactions can be viewed and hence downloaded.

After downloading, a new browser tab opens (I am using Chrome) but this is blank. Fortunately, a csv file was saved in my default download folder.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I bank with HSBC

NatWest allows you to download 7 years of transactions but only 12 months at a time.
  • dogoff
    dogoff Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    1) You can download all transactions on your current account for the 12 month period ending 30 days ago in a format that can be loaded onto Microsoft Excel.

To access it, please select the current account then click on the 'Manage' button to your right hand side and look under 'Documents' section to find the 'Download midata' option.

2) For all transactions made in the past 30 days, you can look into your recent transactions list and then download them in a suitable format.

To access it, please select the current account then click on the 'Search' button to your right hand side and enter the dates required to find the 'Download Results' option beneath.

Anyone know how to do it for HSBC credit card ?
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    daschom wrote: »
    I also have not received any monthly statements but rather a yearly statement?

Sounds like you have opted for online statements only.

You will still get annual statement in the post.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    born_again wrote: »
    Sounds like you have opted for online statements only.

You will still get annual statement in the post.

You're responding to a post written in March 2018?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure