Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Esporta65
    • By Esporta65 2nd Dec 19, 1:16 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Esporta65
    Problem paying with several different cards
    • 2nd Dec 19, 1:16 PM
    Problem paying with several different cards 2nd Dec 19 at 1:16 PM
    Warning: I purchased many items for a bathroom renovation from one shop. I paid for the total bill using 3 different credit cards, paying about 500 on each. I am having problems with a faulty tap costing 190 but it is not actually itemised on one specific credit card. If I needed to claim under Section 75, from which card would I claim? I recommend specifying items on separate bills for each card.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 2nd Dec 19, 1:18 PM
    • 24,390 Posts
    • 27,189 Thanks
    zx81
    • 2nd Dec 19, 1:18 PM
    • 2nd Dec 19, 1:18 PM
    From any of them. Card statements don't specify items, just amounts and retailers.

Your receipt will specify what was purchased.
    • PRAISETHESUN
    • By PRAISETHESUN 2nd Dec 19, 4:10 PM
    • 1,409 Posts
    • 764 Thanks
    PRAISETHESUN
    • 2nd Dec 19, 4:10 PM
    • 2nd Dec 19, 4:10 PM
    The good thing about section 75 is that you don't need to pay for the entire balance on a single card - as long as the item costs over 100, then even paying 0.01 will (in theory) be enough to give you protection. You can make your claim on any of the cards you used, although I would expect the banks to try and pass the buck around as to which of them is actually liable to pay out!
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 2nd Dec 19, 4:33 PM
    • 4,382 Posts
    • 2,414 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 2nd Dec 19, 4:33 PM
    • 2nd Dec 19, 4:33 PM
    You will presumably have a separate receipt for each payment. Just check which receipt it is on.
    Most people would go back to the shop and ask for a replacement rather than think about making an s75 claim in the first instance.
    Last edited by Ben8282; 02-12-2019 at 4:36 PM.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 2nd Dec 19, 4:48 PM
    • 21,645 Posts
    • 15,870 Thanks
    molerat
    • 2nd Dec 19, 4:48 PM
    • 2nd Dec 19, 4:48 PM
    You will presumably have a separate receipt for each payment. Just check which receipt it is on.
    Most people would go back to the shop and ask for a replacement rather than think about making an s75 claim in the first instance.
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    OP states not. It was one receipt with a multi tender payment similar to paying part cash part gift voucher but with multiple cards. The biggest surprise to me is that the till operator actually knew how to do it !
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 2nd Dec 19, 5:14 PM
    • 4,382 Posts
    • 2,414 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 2nd Dec 19, 5:14 PM
    • 2nd Dec 19, 5:14 PM
    OP states not. It was one receipt with a multi tender payment similar to paying part cash part gift voucher but with multiple cards. The biggest surprise to me is that the till operator actually knew how to do it !
    Originally posted by molerat
    Would love to see such a receipt. But still better for OP to take up the problem with the shop in the first instance especially in this case as I can't imagine what whichever credit card provider the OP chooses to make the s75 complaint to (assuming OP doesn't make 4 separate s75 claims) will make of the situation.
    Irrespective of the legal situation going straight to the credit card provider with an s75 claim without giving the retailer a reasonable opportunity to rectify the problem feels like an abuse of the whole s75 protection..
    Last edited by Ben8282; 02-12-2019 at 5:20 PM.
    • born again
    • By born again 2nd Dec 19, 5:43 PM
    • 825 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    born again
    • 2nd Dec 19, 5:43 PM
    • 2nd Dec 19, 5:43 PM
    I can see them asking for proof of which card the payment was on. As there maybe a chargeback option.

So are we to assume that the OP paid approx 1500 on 3 different cards in store and the receipt does not list the items?
    Ifd it lists the items, then it must list the cards used (LAST 4 USUALLY) so you can then work out from there the card it will be on given the amounts of the items
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 2nd Dec 19, 5:50 PM
    • 4,382 Posts
    • 2,414 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 2nd Dec 19, 5:50 PM
    • 2nd Dec 19, 5:50 PM
    My understanding is that it is one receipt with all the items listed but at the bottom of the receipt there are 3 separate payments by 3 separate credit cards so that no particular item is associated with a specific credit card. Very odd I know ...
    • molerat
    • By molerat 2nd Dec 19, 5:59 PM
    • 21,645 Posts
    • 15,870 Thanks
    molerat
    • 2nd Dec 19, 5:59 PM
    • 2nd Dec 19, 5:59 PM
    Would love to see such a receipt.
    Quite straightforward and not really any different to my scenario of paying cash and gift vouchers, just that many staff would not be able to figure it out. Subtotal - tender card 500 - put card into PIN machine, subtotal - tender card 500 - put different card into PIN machine, and so on.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 2nd Dec 19, 6:04 PM
    • 4,382 Posts
    • 2,414 Thanks
    Ben8282
    Quite straightforward and not really any different to my scenario of paying cash and gift vouchers, just that many staff would not be able to figure it out. Subtotal - tender card 500 - put card into PIN machine, subtotal - tender card 500 - put different card into PIN machine, and so on.
    Originally posted by molerat
    Your example I have seen and makes sense. But multiple credit card trnsactions on one receipt I have never encountered.
    • sambaird
    • By sambaird 2nd Dec 19, 10:32 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    sambaird
    Have you never split the bill in a restaurant before?
    Same thing - one bill for the table, multiple cards used to pay the total.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 3rd Dec 19, 1:52 AM
    • 4,382 Posts
    • 2,414 Thanks
    Ben8282
    Have you never split the bill in a restaurant before?
    Same thing - one bill for the table, multiple cards used to pay the total.
    Originally posted by sambaird
    Not the same thing. Restaurants usually use a credit card machine where an individual credit card receipt is printed for each transaction.
    You need to think in terms of a supermarket or McDonalds/KFC receipt where all the purchases are listed and the credit card receipt forms an integral part of it.
    Last edited by Ben8282; 03-12-2019 at 1:55 AM.
    • SuperAllyB
    • By SuperAllyB 3rd Dec 19, 7:48 AM
    • 623 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    SuperAllyB
    Not the same thing. Restaurants usually use a credit card machine where an individual credit card receipt is printed for each transaction.
    You need to think in terms of a supermarket or McDonalds/KFC receipt where all the purchases are listed and the credit card receipt forms an integral part of it.
    Could well be the same thing, no way of knowing.

One invoice with three individual card receipts isn't impossible.
    • Chino
    • By Chino 3rd Dec 19, 8:45 AM
    • 1,181 Posts
    • 803 Thanks
    Chino
    Meanwhile, the OP has cross-posted on the Section 75 refunds - article discussion board:
    Problem paying with several different cards
    • phillw
    • By phillw 3rd Dec 19, 1:17 PM
    • 3,157 Posts
    • 2,614 Thanks
    phillw
    One invoice with three individual card receipts isn't impossible.
    Originally posted by SuperAllyB
    I suspect most shops don't allow it because of additional fees using multiple cards, but a friend went into a clothes shop and bought one item and split it across two cards.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,430Posts Today

7,233Users online

Martin's Twitter