Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 2nd Dec 19, 8:21 PM
    • 4,079Posts
    • 1,188Thanks
    AndyPK
    9 WOW
    Sainsbury’s incorrect prices
    • 2nd Dec 19, 8:21 PM
    9 WOW
    Sainsbury’s incorrect prices 2nd Dec 19 at 8:21 PM
    Whats going on.

3 items I picked up that were displayed as in discount weren’t according to the self service till. So I left further quantities at the till.

I wasn’t doing a big shop either.

I recall a similar experience last week.

I must be down at least Ł3. lol
    Just as well i was paying attention.
    Last edited by AndyPK; 03-12-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Page 1
    • Lucyjoanne
    • By Lucyjoanne 3rd Dec 19, 1:44 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    Lucyjoanne
    • 3rd Dec 19, 1:44 AM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 1:44 AM
    If you inform the staff who is around the self service area, they will go and check the shelf edge for you. If they check and see the offer is the right one, they usually manually alter the price on the till.
    It’s worth asking
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 3rd Dec 19, 8:44 AM
    • 1,659 Posts
    • 2,583 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    • 3rd Dec 19, 8:44 AM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 8:44 AM
    In my view Sainsburys are world class for doing this sort of thing.

Don't really shop at supermarkets but avoid Sainsbury like the plague.

They put a yellow sticker discount on an item then 'forget' to put the corresponding one over the barcode.... how many people think they're getting a discount yet pay full price?

When a product runs out on the shelf they always seem to replace it with a similar product but at a higher price. An own brand can of corned beef at Ł1.50 gets replaced with the branded version at Ł2.75. People see the Ł1.50 take it and fail to notice at the checkout.....kerrrching! for Sainsbury!
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 3rd Dec 19, 12:29 PM
    • 4,079 Posts
    • 1,188 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 3rd Dec 19, 12:29 PM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 12:29 PM
    About a year ago, I did say an item was priced wrongly to them.

We went back to the shelf and they moved a label around in front of me and then said its not for that item and wouldn't discount. :lol:

I'm fairly sure they were incorrect as I checked carefully.

P.S Yes I check the expired items have a reduced barcode on them.
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 4th Dec 19, 12:58 PM
    • 2,771 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    • 4th Dec 19, 12:58 PM
    • 4th Dec 19, 12:58 PM
    All the supermarkets are at this sort of thing.
    Only shop in Aldi Lidl Morrisons & Sainsburys & they are all at it.
    Just have to be super vigilant.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 4th Dec 19, 1:42 PM
    • 35,372 Posts
    • 22,326 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 4th Dec 19, 1:42 PM
    • 4th Dec 19, 1:42 PM
    Just check your receipts once paid and if wrong then go to customer services.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 4th Dec 19, 1:43 PM
    • 35,372 Posts
    • 22,326 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 4th Dec 19, 1:43 PM
    • 4th Dec 19, 1:43 PM
    If you inform the staff who is around the self service area, they will go and check the shelf edge for you. If they check and see the offer is the right one, they usually manually alter the price on the till.
    It’s worth asking
    Originally posted by Lucyjoanne
    Maybe the OP is talking about reduced items or yellow stickered rather than items on offer.
    • Beddie
    • By Beddie 4th Dec 19, 2:29 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Beddie
    • 4th Dec 19, 2:29 PM
    • 4th Dec 19, 2:29 PM
    I agree that Sainsbury's are by far the worst for this. It can happen anywhere but Sainsbury's make the most mistakes - never in my favour either!
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 4th Dec 19, 7:42 PM
    • 2,506 Posts
    • 1,077 Thanks
    20aday
    • 4th Dec 19, 7:42 PM
    • 4th Dec 19, 7:42 PM
    If you’re unsure if something is the correct price check the barcode on the product against the shelf edge label.

Some retailers also display the promotion end dates on the label too.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 4th Dec 19, 7:57 PM
    • 4,079 Posts
    • 1,188 Thanks
    AndyPK
    Never seen promonitial end dates on labels in Sainsbury’s.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th Dec 19, 2:27 AM
    • 31,843 Posts
    • 66,125 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    They are there on the red SEL, in very small print but visible nonetheless.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • MataNui
    • By MataNui 5th Dec 19, 8:24 AM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 603 Thanks
    MataNui
    Pretty sure the Sainsbury self service tills only apply and discounts at the end and not as the items are scanned making it difficult to check as you go. Pretty sure this is deliberate as it works very well with the frequent mis-pricing you see at this store in particular.
    • od244051
    • By od244051 5th Dec 19, 2:51 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    od244051
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    They have a small date on the larger price labels. One date being the start date and other being the end date. I know most of the time, Sainsburys offers last 3 weeks start on Wednesday. Last change was 20/11/ So think the next one is due 11/12
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 5th Dec 19, 11:10 PM
    • 2,506 Posts
    • 1,077 Thanks
    20aday
    Appreciate it isn't down to us as customers to check the validity of an offer/promotion etc but based on my own experiences when some people are trying to do ten things at once filling a product in the wrong place can happen quite often.

It's probably the same across all supermarkets where offers and discounts aren't calculated until you go to pay but if you tap 'sub total' when scanning it'll show them then.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 6th Dec 19, 12:30 AM
    • 4,079 Posts
    • 1,188 Thanks
    AndyPK
    I think there is some confusion when I say discount.

It could be
    1 short Sell? Before date. Eg sandwich.
    2 discount to shift stock
    3 buy 3 and get a discount. Or bogof

I am taking about 2.

As a true mse person I buy in bulk when items are discounted and walk on by when they aren’t.
    So I frequently buy these products and know how the self service costs it usually.

As I frequency buy these items in most cases I know what should match what label.
    Yes I did spot something on the wrong shelf which early confused me. That can be customers though.
    Last edited by AndyPK; 06-12-2019 at 12:34 AM.
    • od244051
    • By od244051 6th Dec 19, 7:11 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    od244051
    It has happened before when I got charged full price for an item when the ticket was displaying the old price - on offer. Go to customer services and get the difference back. The shop worker on CSD explains that the offers started today and old ones finished yesterday and each time offers change, the staff have up to 7,000 tickets to change. So tickets can get lost and forgotten to change. My friend that works for Sainsburys in a large store has 10,000 price tickets to change next promo cycle!!!! There are several colleagues that do them and printed in order so only do 2 aisles each. Not like got to change a ticket in aisle 16 then another one in 29 etc,
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 6th Dec 19, 4:48 PM
    • 4,079 Posts
    • 1,188 Thanks
    AndyPK
    Humm

I had the same problem on the same item the previous week !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,493Posts Today

6,895Users online

Martin's Twitter