Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • am.jovial
    • By am.jovial 1st Dec 19, 11:04 AM
    • 72Posts
    • 5Thanks
    am.jovial
    Help needed : Have you had any 2018-19 Income Tax refunded or off-set by us or JobCentre Plus?
    • 1st Dec 19, 11:04 AM
    Help needed : Have you had any 2018-19 Income Tax refunded or off-set by us or JobCentre Plus? 1st Dec 19 at 11:04 AM
    I am filing tax return for 2018-19. I need help in answering this question:
    Have you had any 2018-19 Income Tax refunded or off-set by us or JobCentre Plus?

My situation is, I work for UK public sector. I had been subscribing to professional journals and memberships that were eligible for tax exemptions/benefits. I was not aware of this and I requested HMRC and they gave me refunds for past several years. The refunds came in parts and as multiple cheques. I don't remember of having deposited all into the same bank account. I may not find all the letters in my files. Hence, I am not sure if i can find out the exact amount I have got back as refund by going through the letters I have and by looking at bank statements. I am worried if I will miss any of them then I will be giving incorrect info to HMRC.

I also may have refund of tax adjustments that HMRC sends me once every year (I am not able to find this letter in my files though).

My question is:
    1. Do I answer yes to above question?
    2. If I say yes, I will be asked to provide the exact amount. And do I have to include (add) both?:
    a. refund for adjustment towards professional subscriptions
    b. tax refund that I may have received during 2018-19
    3. Is there any way I can get these amount online from HMRC website ? Or calling their call center?
    Many thanks in advance for your help.
Page 1
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 1st Dec 19, 11:39 AM
    • 5,675 Posts
    • 3,014 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 1st Dec 19, 11:39 AM
    • 1st Dec 19, 11:39 AM
    Have you had any 2018-19 Income Tax refunded or off-set by us or JobCentre Plus?
    What has what happened for previous income tax years prior to 2018:19 got to do with this question?

What happened with any claim you made for "professional journals and memberships" costs relating to 2018:19?
    • am.jovial
    • By am.jovial 2nd Dec 19, 11:14 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    am.jovial
    • 2nd Dec 19, 11:14 PM
    • 2nd Dec 19, 11:14 PM
    What has what happened for previous income tax years prior to 2018:19 got to do with this question?

What happened with any claim you made for "professional journals and memberships" costs relating to 2018:19?
    Originally posted by Dazed and confused
    Aah, now I read the question again and your questions made me understand the question better. Thank you !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,553Posts Today

6,862Users online

Martin's Twitter