Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gmarie
    • By gmarie 25th Sep 19, 5:41 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 50Thanks
    gmarie
    Lush gift boxes - not worth it!
    • 25th Sep 19, 5:41 PM
    Lush gift boxes - not worth it! 25th Sep 19 at 5:41 PM
    Hi all, for those that turn to Lush for an easy birthday/christmas gift, please be wary of the huge price mark ups on the gift sets! Someone has compared the price of the gift box vs the price of the contents if purchased individually and you can be paying over 30 quid extra just for the box they come in!

If you buy everything individually, you could easily pick out 5 extra bath bombs & still have change to buy your own box to package them in. The markup is only a few quid for the smaller gift boxes which isn't too bad if you don't want the faff of wrapping them up, but for the larger gifts I personally think a 30 markup is a bit steep.

Especially considering most gift boxes at Christmas work out better value so a lot of people won't think to question these ones, assuming they're better value when they're not.

The full data can be found in the doc linked below:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11cfWDlbrf3J4AZlMfZrkU5bQ-z2b6pkibEN3ydYEZmI/edit?usp=sharing
Page 1
    • jackomdj
    • By jackomdj 5th Oct 19, 2:39 PM
    • 2,955 Posts
    • 3,652 Thanks
    jackomdj
    • 5th Oct 19, 2:39 PM
    • 5th Oct 19, 2:39 PM
    To be fair to lush this is no different to most gift boxes, ie look at boots Christmas 'boxes' or the new trend of advent calendars (I was looking at the alcohol ones and they are a ridiculous price).
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 6th Oct 19, 3:12 PM
    • 1,623 Posts
    • 2,413 Thanks
    suejb2
    • 6th Oct 19, 3:12 PM
    Lush
    • 6th Oct 19, 3:12 PM
    Wait till the Boxing Day sales and get one half price!
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • IrishRose12
    • By IrishRose12 1st Nov 19, 8:56 PM
    • 1,573 Posts
    • 7,357 Thanks
    IrishRose12
    • 1st Nov 19, 8:56 PM
    • 1st Nov 19, 8:56 PM
    I have to say I buy lush gift sets quite regularly, and its never ever a difference of 30 odd, the most the difference has been is about 4/5 but I'm happy enough with it as it saves me having to present it nicely and find a nice box.

I've started saving for the lush boxing day sale as I now get more for my money and the stuff I get lasts me for months
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2019 #57 1,120/3,500
    1 a day challenge 2019 #2 - 365/ 365

20 books for 2020 - 0/20
    Save 20 20's for 2020 - 0/20
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 17th Nov 19, 4:13 PM
    • 5,240 Posts
    • 9,860 Thanks
    Murphybear
    • 17th Nov 19, 4:13 PM
    • 17th Nov 19, 4:13 PM
    To be fair to lush this is no different to most gift boxes, ie look at boots Christmas 'boxes' or the new trend of advent calendars (I was looking at the alcohol ones and they are a ridiculous price).
    Originally posted by jackomdj
    I get a beauty advent calendar every year and I look up the cost of buying the individual items online. (Sad I know). They would cost a lot more. Last years cost 70 and the cheapest online price for all the items was ~ 230
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 2nd Dec 19, 10:09 PM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 9,208 Thanks
    kboss2010
    • 2nd Dec 19, 10:09 PM
    • 2nd Dec 19, 10:09 PM
    You can make a lush-alike box using travel tins from eBay, shampoo bars from shops like Gruum who offer vouchers/sales, bars of soap from local health food shops, bath bombs from 1 shops etc. & buy silk scarves from charity shops to wrap gifts.
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 3rd Dec 19, 7:30 AM
    • 24,137 Posts
    • 64,917 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 3rd Dec 19, 7:30 AM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 7:30 AM
    You can make a lush-alike box using travel tins from eBay, shampoo bars from shops like Gruum who offer vouchers/sales, bars of soap from local health food shops, bath bombs from 1 shops etc. & buy silk scarves from charity shops to wrap gifts.
    Originally posted by kboss2010
    Just jumping in to say the bit in bold is called 'furoshiki' and there's lots of 'how to...' on YouTube.
    I wrap my friend's birthday gifts that way, she loves it.

I've never bought Lush gift sets although my sister and niece used to, not sure if they do anymore.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,644Posts Today

7,279Users online

Martin's Twitter