Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 13th Apr 19, 8:22 PM
    • 16,374Posts
    • 19,677Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Cordless lawn mowers?
    • 13th Apr 19, 8:22 PM
    Cordless lawn mowers? 13th Apr 19 at 8:22 PM
    Pretty much decided to get one now after the last "incident" with a cord, now in several pieces, now the Q is, which brand? So many to choose from.
    My current bosch rotak (corded) has been generally good, so thats a possibility, also looking at gtech, which is a bit pricey. Especially if i need to get a second battery. But good reviews.

Then theres brands i havent heard of before such as gardenworks which seem to get good amazon reviews.
    Any experiences and do you find you need a second battery? My lawn (front and back added) is roughly 1100 sq ft (130sq meters as estimated by paces)
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
Page 1
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 13th Apr 19, 8:27 PM
    • 10,724 Posts
    • 65,360 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    • 13th Apr 19, 8:27 PM
    • 13th Apr 19, 8:27 PM
    Have you thought about getting a petrol?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 13th Apr 19, 8:35 PM
    • 11,112 Posts
    • 131,319 Thanks
    kazwookie
    • 13th Apr 19, 8:35 PM
    • 13th Apr 19, 8:35 PM
    Buy a new cord for the mower you have
    Sun, Sea

• Sky_
    • By Sky_ 13th Apr 19, 8:43 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 1,440 Thanks
    Sky_
    • 13th Apr 19, 8:43 PM
    • 13th Apr 19, 8:43 PM
    We bought a Lidl one several years ago--it was much cheaper than any other and we're very pleased with it. The only downside is that it is quite small/narrow, so it takes 2-3 charges to cut our 300sq m lawn. Each charge takes 15-20 minutes, so it slows down lawn cutting time somewhat.

The upside of it being small is that it's also very light and I (small female) can manouvre it very easily and safely with one hand.

We haven't felt the need for a second battery, I just have a break or do something else whilst the battery charges.
    Goal weight 1: 14.6 /14.8

Goal weight 2: 13.0
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 13th Apr 19, 9:23 PM
    • 16,374 Posts
    • 19,677 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 13th Apr 19, 9:23 PM
    • 13th Apr 19, 9:23 PM
    Have you thought about getting a petrol?
    Originally posted by Ms Chocaholic

Not even under consideration. Noisy, smelly, polluting.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 13th Apr 19, 9:25 PM
    • 16,374 Posts
    • 19,677 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 13th Apr 19, 9:25 PM
    • 13th Apr 19, 9:25 PM
    We bought a Lidl one several years ago--it was much cheaper than any other and we're very pleased with it. The only downside is that it is quite small/narrow, so it takes 2-3 charges to cut our 300sq m lawn. Each charge takes 15-20 minutes, so it slows down lawn cutting time somewhat.

The upside of it being small is that it's also very light and I (small female) can manouvre it very easily and safely with one hand.

We haven't felt the need for a second battery, I just have a break or do something else whilst the battery charges.
    Originally posted by Sky_

Thanks. Seems a bit of a faff I like to get it done in one hit. Trouble with LIDL is you never know what theyve got in stock. Funny shop, you go in to buy some yoghurt and come out with a bench circular saw, a pair of exercise tights and a loft ladder.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 13th Apr 19, 9:28 PM
    • 16,374 Posts
    • 19,677 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 13th Apr 19, 9:28 PM
    • 13th Apr 19, 9:28 PM
    Buy a new cord for the mower you have
    Originally posted by kazwookie

Was a thought but I decided I was fed up with evading the cord whilst mowing (or not evading sometimes) plus finding the extension lead, plus the roller at the back keeps falling off so what the heck decided to splurge. Definitely not money saving I agree.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 13th Apr 19, 9:29 PM
    • 4,877 Posts
    • 7,909 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 13th Apr 19, 9:29 PM
    • 13th Apr 19, 9:29 PM
    We have the gtech and Mr S is very pleased with it. Our lawns are a similar size to yours, and one battery charge is more than ample.

Keep an eye on QVC - they sometimes do good deals on gtech products.

ADD
    Ouch. Just googled the gtech website and the new, bigger model is 499, and the smaller one (the one we have) is 399. We bought ours direct from gtech last year when they were on special offer for something like 299.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 13-04-2019 at 9:43 PM.
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 13th Apr 19, 9:33 PM
    • 10,724 Posts
    • 65,360 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    • 13th Apr 19, 9:33 PM
    • 13th Apr 19, 9:33 PM
    Not even under consideration. Noisy, smelly, polluting.
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe

Do you drive a car?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 13th Apr 19, 10:19 PM
    • 16,374 Posts
    • 19,677 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Do you drive a car?
    Originally posted by Ms Chocaholic

Yep. A Kia Soul EV

• AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 13th Apr 19, 10:23 PM
    • 16,374 Posts
    • 19,677 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    We have the gtech and Mr S is very pleased with it. Our lawns are a similar size to yours, and one battery charge is more than ample.

Keep an eye on QVC - they sometimes do good deals on gtech products.

ADD
    Ouch. Just googled the gtech website and the new, bigger model is 499, and the smaller one (the one we have) is 399. We bought ours direct from gtech last year when they were on special offer for something like 299.
    Originally posted by Silvertabby

Yes Ive got a few other gtech products and they do occasionally have deals which are worthwhile. I've narrowed it down to the Bosch or the Gtech. Both 400 (No, Bosch and Gtech, I am not fooled that 399.99 is really 300 rather than 400 ). A Gtech deal at 300 would sway it for me .
    • WeAreGhosts
    • By WeAreGhosts 14th Apr 19, 3:35 PM
    • 2,532 Posts
    • 32,918 Thanks
    WeAreGhosts
    We have the Gtech cordless mower. It works fine, but be aware that we find it quite heavy and unwieldy. If you've got some muscles, you'll be ok, but if not I'd look at others and buy from where you can move them around before you purchase.

As for petrol. My nearest neighbour has one and I could strangle him by the time he's finished. It takes foreeeeever, makes a hell of a racket and stinks.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 14th Apr 19, 6:31 PM
    • 16,374 Posts
    • 19,677 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Ok I was going to get a different model I found on Screwfix but happened to see a one day sale on Amazon on a Bosch, 400 down to 260 just for today. Arrives Tuesday.
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 15th Apr 19, 10:54 AM
    • 3,092 Posts
    • 1,436 Thanks
    NigeWick
    My current bosch rotak (corded) has been generally good,
    I went for the battery Bosch 40 and have been pleased with it after a corded one. I made sure to have two batteries as I have two bits of lawn. It isn't quite as forgiving of longer wet grass as the corded but as long as you are aware of that limitation it is fine.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 15th Apr 19, 1:08 PM
    • 2,820 Posts
    • 1,601 Thanks
    anotheruser
    Ok I was going to get a different model I found on Screwfix but happened to see a one day sale on Amazon on a Bosch, 400 down to 260 just for today. Arrives Tuesday.
    What model / link?
    • Frank99
    • By Frank99 16th Apr 19, 6:23 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Frank99
    Been looking at cordless myself as with vacuums everything is heading this way, Ideal World TV seems to have regular features on cordless mowers and they reduce the prices whilst the item is on air.
    Enjoy everyday like it's your last!
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 16th Apr 19, 8:14 PM
    • 2,164 Posts
    • 952 Thanks
    nickcc
    Bought the Worx WG779E battery lawnmower last year from Amazon for 190 now 182. Great mower and no more cutting cables also much quicker as no faffing about with extension leads. Has two batteries that fit side by side and are used together so sufficient to cut two fairly large lawns as long as the grass isn't too long and you use the economy setting. Comes with twin charger so both batteries are charged together but you can charge individually if you wanted to, not sure why you'd want to though.

PS also bought a Shark cordless vacuum as I was fed up tripping over the flipping cable.
    Last edited by nickcc; 16-04-2019 at 9:10 PM.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 16th Apr 19, 8:29 PM
    • 8,760 Posts
    • 5,487 Thanks
    buglawton
    I have a Bosch Rotak 43, chosen because you can get a mulcher for it and it shares battery type and charger with my Bosch hedge trimmer. 2.6 AH battery not really adequate, now in the market for a 4 AH replacement.

Very happy with it. If I've one niggle it's having to grip the levers hard to keep it running, unlike the old dead mans handle lever you get with petrol or corded.
    • cranford
    • By cranford 28th Apr 19, 9:32 AM
    • 569 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    cranford
    Last year because of back problems I also bought a WORX as mentioned above. Argos do a mower + strimmer package for 200 so with the strimmer being about 50 by itsself its not a bad deal. The model is not quite the same as the 182 one from Amazon mentioned above. When the grass is long realistically it will only do about 50sq metres on a single charge of the twin 20w batteries but once this cut is done it will run for twice that amount. Its very light weight and this takes me less than 10 mins. I have two lawns that size so I have bought a second set of batteries on Ebay for about 60. I am impressed with the strimmer which is a tap down one and have yet had a line break.
    (I also have a WORX drill so can use the batteries in this as well)
    • SleepySara
    • By SleepySara 2nd Dec 19, 1:55 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    SleepySara
    WORX is a great option indeed, I have a WORX lawn trencher and I really like it. How about EGO Power lm2000? I'm thinking about getting something like this because I have a big lawn now. But after reading it's manual online I started to think it might be an overkill for my needs, though I definitely need both a lawnmower and a trimmer.
    Half of being smart is knowing what you are dumb about.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,502Posts Today

6,850Users online

Martin's Twitter