Manually submitted wrong gas/electricity readings for 3-4 months Daligas / Iresa

darren72
darren72 Posts: 1,288
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
A family member has been submitting manual readings to Daligas for gas and Iresa for electricity.

They have been getting the meter readings confused (between the two) and has resulted in the last few meter readings being way out.

The last submitted electricity reading is 1,356 kWh higher than it should have been, with the gas reading being 696 units higher than it should be.

Does anyone know how easy it is going to be to get this corrected ? Does anyone have experience of something similar with either of these two companies, or in general ??

My family member is worrying that the companies will think she is trying to avoid paying electricity/gas even though her actual readings are lower than what has been submitted.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi,

were readings submitted by phone or online?

Either way she/he will need to contact supplier and explain, supplier should be able to go back to when error occurred and notice any difference in usage.

If possible take a picture of each meter and email supplier.

It may happen that supplier will need an actual meter reading taken by your regular meter reader, if you have or ever see one.
  • darren72
    Forumite
    Thank you for your reply.

The readings were all done online. I sent Iresa and Daligas an e-mail earlier this morning advising them of the error.

Iresa have already replied back to confirm that they will adjust the figures. It sounds like it is going to be easier to fix than I was thinking.

Also, no, we don't have anyone visiting to take meter readings, we do it ourselves. I don't think we have had anyone visit us for a meter reading in over 5 years (probably a lot longer).
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,398
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I'm supprised Iresa accepted them, they claim to validate all readings.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • @darren72
    Daligas allow you to attach a photo of the meter reading to their online meter readings submissions. Although you do have to make the file size to be small enough for them to accept. I used to use Paint and save the photo file as a JPG to reduce the size that the camera took.
  • From my own experience, it doesn't bode well.

I had to submit a reading that was lower than the previous one (because the meter had been changed) and it led to a years confusion that culminated in a letter from a debt collector threatening legal action. It all started with them saying "Ok leave it with us and we'll sort it out", but all they did was keep sending another copy of the same wrong bill. Good luck.
  • darren72
    Forumite
    jack_pott wrote: »
    From my own experience, it doesn't bode well.

I had to submit a reading that was lower than the previous one (because the meter had been changed) and it led to a years confusion that culminated in a letter from a debt collector threatening legal action. It all started with them saying "Ok leave it with us and we'll sort it out", but all they did was keep sending another copy of the same wrong bill. Good luck.

Out of interest - Who were your providers? - Daligas or Iresa ?
  • darren72 wrote: »
    Out of interest - Who were your providers? - Daligas or Iresa ?

No, the complication in my case arose because the meter was renewed whilst I was in the middle of changing suppliers. I was going from SSE to another I don't remember, and it was SSE who must have thought I was trying to fiddle them by providing a final reading that was lower than the previous one. I gave all the necessary info to the new supplier, but they just chucked it in the bin instead of passing it on to SSE. It got sorted pretty quickly after I rang Ofgem.

That was about 15 years ago now, but when I went back to SSE on a subsequent occasion the said they wanted payment in advance before they would sign me up citing a bad credit record. When I challenged them to tell me which agency this was from they wouldn't say, but backed down and signed me up without a deposit. I'm back with them a third time now, and there was no problem this time.
  • darren72
    Forumite
    Just to update everyone on this. Daligas corrected the issue within a couple of days. Iresa we are still waiting for someone to get it resolved, despite chasing up many, many times...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure