PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Have you put the central heating on yet?

Comments

• oldskoo1
    oldskoo1 Posts: 616 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Primrose wrote: »
    What time do you go to bed?

Around 11pm normally.

That is what i'm trying to weigh up.

The boiler has to come on regardless at 5pm. If i keep it going until 21c and then have it go off at around 7pm. Would that last until 11pm, esp in mid winter.

I was thinking if it was cheaper to have it keep going vs go off at 18c and perhaps come back on 2 or 3 more times.

House is well insulated.

It would only be wise to do this when the temp drops outside enough to trigger the boiler to come on 2-3x.

I doubt the theory because the higher the temp the quicker the heat loss.

Intriguing though.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Too warm for the ch stove here,I have a heat sink floor and wall in the living area. The sun heats them. Was 9 outside but is still 22 in that area. I had three tealights on last night and the living area temperature got to 23. It is cooler upstairs, good for sleeping
  • MERFE
    MERFE Posts: 2,133 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I've pulled the windows in so they are only on the air rather than wide open. Haven't got a temp guage so have to just go by how we feel. I have found it is too cold for just a t-shirt but too hot to wear a jumper just yet. When it is cold with a jumper, that is when the heating will go on.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    kittie wrote: »
    . I had three tealights on last night and the living area temperature got to 23. It is cooler upstairs, good for sleeping

I’m intrigued by the thought that tealights can effectively raise a room temperature by a noticeable amount, I suppose if it’s small room this is possible but I doubt whether in a long through-lounge/dining room like ours they would be similarly effective. I shall have to give it a try though!
  • Definitely not cold here in Berkshire although the 11 year old is feeling decidedly poorly and a bit achy. I have said we'll pop it on tomorrow for a bit in the evening if she is still feeling rough. We have put the decorative flames on the electric heater thingy and have lit a couple of candles.

She is currently wearing fleecy Jim-jams, dressing gown and slipper boots so I don't think she is swinging the lead..
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Not been well, got the shivers due to dreaded lurgy, got heating on for couple of hours, Not had it on since, apart from when the engineer came to service the boiler. It works perfectly now, thankfully, ready for a November switch.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Switched it on this evening for first time, only for s couple of hours, just to make sure all working ok before it gets colder.
    grocery challenge Sept 2012 £21/£399
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Primrose wrote: »
    I’m intrigued by the thought that tealights can effectively raise a room temperature by a noticeable amount, I suppose if it’s small room this is possible but I doubt whether in a long through-lounge/dining room like ours they would be similarly effective. I shall have to give it a try though!

Mine is a real eco house and the candles are in the main living area, living/dining/kitchen. The sun also gets to work in the day, heat sink floor and wall and this warmth is also slowly released. I haven`t needed to add any extra energy to the hot water tank either, as long as the day has some sun. As an example, my total electricity bill for the whole year is £308 and my pellets for ch and hot water about £180, unless it gets very cold like 2010 when it would be about £240. I am using the candles because of the lovely light while I am spinning, as well as for the added warmth. The snug, also s facing, needs no heat at all and neither of these two areas has a radiator. The n facing study is a colder room and has a very small rad, run off the stove. Upstairs is cooler, as it should be

I cannot remember it being this warm in october in past years, I am still wearing thin cotton tops albeit with long sleeves
  • Evening all,

I moved to my 'new' house last year and it is fitted with bloomin 'Economy' 7. Last winter I ran it as suggested ( for those not in the know - you are charged less between midnight and 7 am and the radiators are on full blast for that time. You are charged more for your electric during the day (until midnight) but the radiators have stored the heat and there are some (limited ) options on when you can let it out.)

Despite being on a low tarrif my fuel bills trebled! My previous house was a terraced property built in 1897 without double glazing and gas central heating. My current house is two bedroom built in two phases (1790 and 1880) with full double glazing and double glazed doors!

So this year (as well as doing the MSE energy club swap ) I am trying something different. I bought a free standing oil filled rad which has a timer in it. I have set the timer on it and am experimenting with the temperature! Last night it was far too warm - off came the cardigan - the blanket for the sofa was abandoned and the dogs left the room! And that was on half heat! Phew! I also bought a digital timer I can set with an older oil filled rad in my bedroom - which will be set on lowest setting to keep out the damp. Kitchen does not need heat and nor does small bedroom as both my son, his partner and their dogs sleep in there! :D

We will see how that goes bill wise. Seems daft to me to have the house boiling hot when you want it cool to sleep!

clare155 I moved into the house with a conservatory which has underfloor heating - the programmer is a right pain but we are attempting to set that at 20 degrees early morning and late evening again to keep out the damp - during the day the sun warms it beautfully - even although it faces east!

Any suggestions welcome for heating advice from you folks.

Am posting because we only just turned on these heating devices last night (although we have used sporadic heating over the past two weeks)
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Our central heating has finally been turned on but only for 90minutes I the morning and 3hrs in the evening.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family