PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Have you put the central heating on yet?

Options

Comments

• clare155
    Options
    We've just moved our lounge into the back room which gets all the sun (instead of the freezing cold back room) and it's lovely and warm in the evenings now. Hopefully we can hold off putting the heating on until the end of October!

Totally understand others who have put it on though - its miserable being cold :(
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We're putting ours on briefly for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening now and topping up body warmth with thick sweaters and body warmers. With double glazing, cavity walls and 10" of loft insulation our house doesnt lose heat as quickly as some but in the evenings when yiu,re sedentary and watching TV or reading yiu can start to feel chilly if yiu don,t get up and move around occasionally.

However during daytime when the weather is mild we do open some doors and windows a little to change the air.which can get very stale if it's not refreshed occasionally. I think it's a question of keeping the balance between warmth and a healthy environment in which to breathe.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mines on and off like a yoyo.
  • cally6008
    cally6008 Posts: 7,629 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Made it to October :) I think we'll be putting it on to check all is working ok tomoro.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I couldn't find the old thread but if I missed it please move this one!
    The "Is your heating ON or OFF" thread is alive and well :). Mods...?

Its a pleasant surprise to find that October feels warmer than early August! (Although at the time of this thread being created I was simultaneously sweltering in Europe - I heard the UK weather was miserable at that time! - and PPR'd :D).
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    No not yet far too warm at the moment 23c at lunchtime here in Kent
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    No not yet far too warm at the moment 23c at lunchtime here in Kent

Autumn duvet has gone on. But not the central heating. Blanket it by the sofa just in I start to feel cold.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • oldskoo1
    oldskoo1 Posts: 616 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cold today, wife ask and I just realised our stat battery has ran out!

Anyway, it’s in the Hall (which is usuall colder than the rooms), stat usually on 18.5. All other rooms 19-22.

So 2 options
    A) 18.5c from 5pm till 11
    B) 21c from 5pm till 7pm

Option b means it’s likely to only heat once.
    Option a probably twice, maybe 3 times.

I’m wondering if option 2 might save me money?

If you get my logic. I guess it depends how quickly my 14 year old house looses heat.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    oldskoo1 wrote: »
    Cold today, wife ask and I just realised our stat battery has ran out!

Anyway, it’s in the Hall (which is usuall colder than the rooms), stat usually on 18.5. All other rooms 19-22.

So 2 options
    A) 18.5c from 5pm till 11
    B) 21c from 5pm till 7pm

Option b means it’s likely to only heat once.
    Option a probably twice, maybe 3 times.

I’m wondering if option 2 might save me money?

If you get my logic. I guess it depends how quickly my 14 year old house looses heat.

What time do you go to bed? Maybe by going a little earlier in winter you don,t need to have the heating on for so long, or can have it at a slightly higher temperature for a shorter time knowing that by the time it,s getting a little chilly you,ll be off to bed anyway. Or switch the heating off early and go and watch tv, if that,s what you usually do, from under the free warm comfort of your duvet in the bedroom. I know a couple of single older people who do this in the winter to reduce the time they need to keep the heating on in larger houses they find expensive to heat.

If fuel costs are really an issue, with prices due to rise considerably this winter, a hot water bottle, a duvet and a bedtime hot drink flask with a bedroom tv or a book might be a cheaper option
  • Winchelsea
    Winchelsea Posts: 693 Forumite
    Options
    Have not had mine on yet.
    I've got the candles in flower pots going, which does make a difference. Might have an early night i.e. 10pm, with a hottie and a hot drink and bed socks etc.
    I keep an eye on the gauge, and if it goes down to 18deg I'll take drastic action (18 is the minimum we old dears should expose ourselves to).
    (NO - not that sort of exposing ourselves - behave!)
    19 at present, so all good.
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure